NBA 2019 - Now the Joy in My World is in Zion

Relic

Man, you can kind of tell that the final month of the regular season in the NBA has gotten boring AF, just by the activity on this thread. 

It figures the Knicks FINALLY tank properly in the first season where being dead last doesn't give you an advantage over 3 other teams, Still, the joy in my world might very well be from Zion in July...

4 hours ago, Relic said:

Man, you can kind of tell that the final month of the regular season in the NBA has gotten boring AF, just by the activity on this thread. 

It figures the Knicks FINALLY tank properly in the first season where being dead last doesn't give you an advantage over 3 other teams, Still, the joy in my world might very well be from Zion in July...

If they get the number one pick they are 100% trading it for Davis.  I've read a bunch of rumors that the Knicks are pretty confident they are getting Durant, btw.

At least so long as Dolan doesn't fuck it all up by publicly admitting to violating the CBA.

5 hours ago, Relic said:

It's just not an exciting end to the season.  The 8 playoff teams in the West are set, and only the order remains to be seen.  Even the order isn't particularly relevant, since it's mostly just a matter of jockeying to avoid GSW for as long as possible. 

The East is a little more interesting, it remains to be seen which of Orlando, Miami and Brooklyn will get the dreaded 9 spot.  But since all those teams are bad and hold little hope of even giving Toronto/Milwaukee a good series, it hardly matters. 

Really I'm just waiting for the playoffs to start.  Or more accurately, I'm just waiting for the second round to start, because that's when things will start getting interesting.

52 minutes ago, briantw said:

If they get the number one pick they are 100% trading it for Davis.  I've read a bunch of rumors that the Knicks are pretty confident they are getting Durant, btw.

At least so long as Dolan doesn't fuck it all up by publicly admitting to violating the CBA.

I fear you are right. It would be the Knick thing to do. Personally I'd much rather be getting Zion number 1 and building a new team from scratch, forgoing these merc free agents. Fuck Kyrie, and honestly, fuck KD for his punk ass move to Golden State.  If Durant and Kyrie are Knicks next season I might become a Nets fan, I swear. 

Speaking of punks, Porzingis might be a rapist. 

4 hours ago, Relic said:

I fear you are right. It would be the Knick thing to do. Personally I'd much rather getting Zion number 1 and building a new team from scratch, forgoing these merc free agents. Fuck Kyrie, and honestly, fuck KD for his punk ass move to Golden State. 

Speaking of punks, Porzingis might be a rapist. 

Do you really trust the Knicks front office to build from scratch?  And while Kyrie and KD are definitely punks, those two plus Davis are probably an instant title contender.  

There are far worse ways for the summer to play out for the Knicks.

6 minutes ago, briantw said:

Absolutely insane that he held onto that job for almost fifteen years while the team compiled a 44% win rate during his tenure.

right?? 

I'm really more of a general NBA fan than a Wizards fan.  I imagine if they ever got a championship contender I'd get interested, but I feel pretty comfortable saying that probably isn't going to happen.  At this point the only DC squad I actively support is the Caps. 

EDIT: Nonetheless, I'm glad to hear the Wizards are getting a new GM.  Grunfeld deserved to be fired so many times.  DC sportsradio had something of a running joke that Grunfeld's only skill was partially cleaning up his own messes. 

Step 1 - Make a disastrous trade or FA signing.

Step 2 - Nine months later, do something smart which minimizes about 40% of that mistake. 

Step 3 - Repeat for 16 years. 

5 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I'm really more of a general NBA fan than a Wizards fan.  I imagine if they ever got a championship contender I'd get interested, but I feel pretty comfortable saying that probably isn't going to happen.  At this point the only DC squad I actively support is the Caps. 

EDIT: Nonetheless, I'm glad to hear the Wizards are getting a new GM.  Grunfeld deserved to be fired so many times.  DC sportsradio had something of a running joke that Grunfeld's only skill was partially cleaning up his own messes. 

Step 2 - Nine months later, do something smart which minimizes about 40% of that mistake. 

Whoever takes on that job has a ton to clean up now.  That Wall contract...yikes.  

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Case in point: 

Chris Bosh came up here a week or two ago, and I'd strongly suggest investing an hour to listen to this interview (it's two parts). The dude is one of the most likable athletes I've ever seen, and he gives and honest and detailed breakdown of the Heat big three era, going through health struggles and just about life as a famous basketball player. He was very funny and engaging.

The Nuggets actually have a pretty good bench; I think Beasley and Morris will be starters someday for someone.  But for some reason against the Warriors the entire bench could play to Yakety Saxs in the background.  Jokic goes out and they are up by two.  Then turnover, turnover, shot clock issue, Beasley being put on skates by Curry twice.  On the plus side, this is the first Players Only broadcast I have watched this year that hasn't made my ears bleed, so at least I will watch my team get blown out with a better broadcast.  

And yes, the build up to playoffs is boring this year.  Even seeding is a big who cares.  Warriors v Rockets seems the inevitable result.  As a season ticket holder I wish the Nuggets would go all in on the 1st seed but I saw all too much Trey Lyles in the last home game to make me think they really care.  They Blazers are making a nice run at the end but it feels kinda 'who cares' with their injuries.

As for playoffs.  I could see the Jazz or Spurs knocking off the Blazers or Nuggets but is that really a major upset?  Blazers have the injuries and the Nuggets have never been here.  Is there a single other Western Conference upset anyone could imagine?  MAYBE Thunder over Rockets if it fell that way but I wouldn't really count on it.

At least the second round of the East should be interesting basketball. 

8 hours ago, SkynJay said:

And yes, the build up to playoffs is boring this year.  Even seeding is a big who cares.  Warriors v Rockets seems the inevitable result.  As a season ticket holder I wish the Nuggets would go all in on the 1st seed but I saw all too much Trey Lyles in the last home game to make me think they really care.  They Blazers are making a nice run at the end but it feels kinda 'who cares' with their injuries.

Yeah, playoff qualification is more or less settled isn't it? From what I can see, there is just a slight tussle for the last playoff spot in the East, but everything else is settled. Seems like teams are more concerned with rest and injury prevention than chasing for a better seed as well. Its basically garbage time until the playoffs start. The Nuggets have a tough schedule to end the season, but they are mostly just playing for home court against the Rockets. The Warriors could possibly drop games as well, but the Nuggets and Rockets would likely have to win all their remaining games to catch up. Not very exciting stuff.

15 hours ago, briantw said:

Whoever takes on that job has a ton to clean up now.  That Wall contract...yikes.  

They can't even emulate Hinkie and trade all their valuable players for picks as effectively. Teams are stingier with picks now and Wall in unmovable. Do they even have their own draft picks? Whoever takes the job needs Hinkie/Brown levels of patience and trust.

4 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

They can't even emulate Hinkie and trade all their valuable players for picks as effectively. Teams are stingier with picks now and Wall in unmovable. Do they even have their own draft picks? Whoever takes the job needs Hinkie/Brown levels of patience and trust.

They have their own first round picks and that's about it. Grunfeld somehow traded away the next 4 years of 2nd rounders. There's zero young talent on the roster (unless you want to count an overpaid Jabari.) And they're completely hamstrung cap-wise until Wall's contract comes off the books in 2023. 

This is why I was arguing they need to trade Beal this offseason for future assets. He alone can't get them to the playoffs and his presence also keeps them from effectively tanking. With him they're stuck in the 30 win no-man's land which is the absolute worst place to be in the NBA. Trade Beal like Philly did Jrue Holiday and kick off a true tank. 

Hopefully Grunfeld's firing represents an organizational understanding that they need to stop trying to spackle over a rotting foundation. No more half measures, Walter. 

15 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

20 20 20 for Russ. Even if you are trying to stuff the stat sheet that is pretty impressive. 

He dedicated the game to a slain rapper from his home town named Nipsey Hussle. Internet rumors are saying that he sought to get 20/20/20 as a signal to Nipsey's past gang life (the gang is called the Rolling 60's), but I don't buy it.

Speaking of which, was this rapper actually a big star? I had never heard of him and I decided to throw on a few of his tracks and all I've got to say is meh.

ETA: NVM, just heard the audio. He totally was referencing the gang.

Archived