NBA 2019 - Now the Joy in My World is in Zion

Relic

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Speaking of which, was this rapper actually a big star?

Never heard of him either, but I was thinking just yesterday - mentioned it to my brother.  First, I suppose Nipsey Hussle makes me think of Nipsey Russell, who was awesome.  But after that, seeing that name in headlines lately just made me think of a 30s studio noir:

"Nipsey got it and he got it what for.  There was a tussle in lala land and he took the long ride on a short train, see."  Pretty sure I coulda got a job as a staff writer back in those days, that's my true calling.

Pop got ejected 63 seconds into the game tonight.  There must have been a movie he wanted to see, he escalated after appearing to have calmed down for a bit. 

His strategy failed, the Nuggets ran the Spurs right out of the gym.

Still, 63 seconds was confirmed to be a record, and he crashed Malone's post game interview and was hilarious so my continued love of Pop grows despite hating his team. 

So, I was reading an article discussing the MVP on ESPN

2. Make your MVP case for or against Giannis Antetokounmpo

MacMahon: I can't stand when people -- fans, homer broadcasters, whoever -- try to poke holes in a guy's MVP case.

4. What part of picking an MVP this season do you find most challenging?

MacMahon: The MVP has clearly become a two-horse race -- Paul George dropped out as the Oklahoma City Thunder fell apart after the All-Star break -- 

:lol: Made me do a double take to confirm it was the same guy. The editor set him up!

27 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

LeBron's like, "Magic you still gonna have a cameo in Space Jam 2 though, right?"

From the sound of it, no one wants to be in Space Jam 2.

Do kids even still watch Looney Tunes?  (This is an honest question)

I'm a lifelong Bulls fan, but we are thoroughly unwatchable for the moment. So I'm just loving Milwaukee right now. I wish they were fully healthy. Giannis is probably my favorite player in the league, and him coming out today saying he turned down Space Jam 2 was delightful. Frig off, Lebronny!

7 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Is Lebron regretting the hell out of all of this or is this nothing that a little Anthony Davis can't fix?  

I'd be willing to bet he's wishing like hell he'd chosen the Clippers right about now.

19 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Is Lebron regretting the hell out of all of this or is this nothing that a little Anthony Davis can't fix?  

Any max guy comes in during the off season, this is all just a blip. Things stay this bad for next season, well, I don't remember if he has any opt-outs in his contract, but I'm sure he could find a way to leave if he wants.

Playoff brackets are out.

1. WARRIORS VS. 8. CLIPPERS

4. ROCKETS VS. 5. JAZZ

3. BLAZERS VS. 6. THUNDER

2. NUGGETS VS. 7. SPURS

1. BUCKS VS. 8. PISTONS

4. CELTICS VS. 5. PACERS

3. 76ERS VS. 6. NETS

2. RAPTORS VS. 7. MAGIC

Would be interesting to see how the actual standings compares to preseason expectations. Just looking at the teams that made the playoffs, I think the Nuggets, Nets and Magic are the major surprises of the season. The Nuggets were 9th for two seasons in a row, so making the playoffs is within expectations but I don't think anyone expected them to be the 2nd seed. The Nets and Magic were doing terribly last season so its a really great turn around for them to make the playoffs.

48 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

The Nets and Magic were doing terribly last season so its a really great turn around for them to make the playoffs.

No, not really.  Vucevic carried that team to the playoffs, and that's nice, but middling borderline playoff team is the last place you wanna be in today's NBA.  Especially considering Vucevic is a free agent.  Now they have, like, the 17th pick.  When they coulda had a shot at the top 3.  That's stupid.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

No, not really.  Vucevic carried that team to the playoffs, and that's nice, but middling borderline playoff team is the last place you wanna be in today's NBA.  Especially considering Vucevic is a free agent.  Now they have, like, the 17th pick.  When they coulda had a shot at the top 3.  That's stupid.

Shrug, it might be bad for their long-term planning, but it is still a great achievement for them.

Personally though, I think the lottery approach is overrated. Yeah, Philly is kind of a contender now, maybe, but look at how many picks they had and how many panned out for them? Its not like every team is OKC and can draft/develop Durant/Westbrook/Harden reliably. And the Warriors managed Curry/Thompson/Green with only Curry being a top ten pick. If the Rockets didn't have Chris Paul injured last year, they probably could have won out without a lottery pick too.

Looking at the current teams, how many franchise cornerstones were drafted with the top three picks? And how many of them are successful? Would Philly have gotten where they are without Reddick joining in free agency?

Also, there's only one winner every year. Is the championship or bust mentality so prevalent that you'd rather have a pathetic lottery team for a chance to get a chance at drafting a chance than a semi respectable playoff team? 

5 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

Also, there's only one winner every year. Is the championship or bust mentality so prevalent that you'd rather have a pathetic lottery team for a chance to get a chance at drafting a chance than a semi respectable playoff team? 

You asked a lot of questions but I'll just answer this one:  Yes.  You're right that it's a crapshoot, but tanking is generally a better path to being a true contender than being a middling team.  This is arguably true in any of the three American sports I follow (NBA, NFL, MLB), but particularly true with basketball when acquiring elite players is essential to competing.  Especially for a team like Orlando that does not often attract star free agents, even with no taxes and Disney.  The Raptors are going to beat them and then they have to decide whether resigning Vucevic is worth it - probably not, which means they're gonna suck again anyway.

40 minutes ago, DMC said:

You asked a lot of questions but I'll just answer this one:  Yes.  You're right that it's a crapshoot, but tanking is generally a better path to being a true contender than being a middling team.  This is arguably true in any of the three American sports I follow (NBA, NFL, MLB), but particularly true with basketball when acquiring elite players is essential to competing.  Especially for a team like Orlando that does not often attract star free agents, even with no taxes and Disney.  The Raptors are going to beat them and then they have to decide whether resigning Vucevic is worth it - probably not, which means they're gonna suck again anyway.

Only reason the Cavs got LeBron back was because they tanked hard for three years and ended up with Kyrie and the ammo to trade for Love and various solid role players.

5 minutes ago, briantw said:

Kings doing Kings things today, firing their coach after their best season in over a decade. 

Didn't they also do this with Mike Malone? I remember they had a surprisingly decent start one year, DeMarcus Cousins was finally happy, and they fired the first coach he respected just outta the blue. 

Archived