Watch, Watched, Watching: Endgame

Ramsay B.

11 hours ago, Triskele said:

"In my opinion every Leo DiCaprio movie would be better as a Matt Damon movie."  - Paraphrasing Bill Simmons uttering some utter garbage.  

And that's not even cause I hate Damon or anything.  It's just laughable on its face.  Django with Damon?  Wolf of Wall Street with Damon?  Please.  

To be fair, Damon is basically on Leo’s level, it’s just the source that makes that take awful. Honestly Leo’s biggest advantage is that he can change his appearance without it looking funny. Damon just always looks like Damon.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

To be fair, Damon is basically on Leo’s level, it’s just the source that makes that take awful. Honestly Leo’s biggest advantage is that he can change his appearance without it looking funny. Damon just always looks like Damon.

I still think Leo looks odd when he changes appearance. He always looks like Leo in a costume rather than possessing a character.

Leo picks WAY better projects for himself though. You won’t catch Leo doing shit like Downsizing, The Great Wall, Elysium, Stuck on You, etc. 

25 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I still think Leo looks odd when he changes appearance. He always looks like Leo in a costume rather than possessing a character.

Well he is super recognizable, but I disagree that he looks odd. Take The Man in the Iron Mask for example. Now picture Damon with long blond hair.

Who would look stranger?

22 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Leo picks WAY better projects for himself though. You won’t catch Leo doing shit like Downsizing, The Great Wall, Elysium, Stuck on You, etc. 

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000138/

There’s some terrible choices for Leo too. He’s just been on a run for a while now.

Well he is super recognizable, but I disagree that he looks odd. Take The Man in the Iron Mask for example. Now picture Damon with long blond hair.

Who would look stranger?

Certainly Damon and his Potato shaped head!

Its just that Leo doesn't tend to look like any of the characters hes playing, he looks like a pretty boy who got scruffed up and is pretending. Hes more of a leading man than a character actor for me.

11 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Certainly Damon and his Potato shaped head!

Its just that Leo doesn't tend to look like any of the characters hes playing, he looks like a pretty boy who got scruffed up and is pretending. Hes more of a leading man than a character actor for me.

I’m not sure I’d call Leo a pretty boy anymore. He’s still handsome, but he looks more like a regular person these days.

As far as character actors goes, there aren’t that many A listers today that qualify. The two that come immediately to mind are Christian Bale and Oscar Isaac.

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000138/

There’s some terrible choices for Leo too. He’s just been on a run for a while now.

Looks way better than Damon’s filmography to me. What would you say Leo has done that’s as bad as some of the Damon movies I mentioned? Maybe stuff he did as a kid, but starting with This Boy’s Life, it’s been pretty good.

I’m not sure I’d call Leo a pretty boy anymore. He’s still handsome, but he looks more like a regular person these days.

As far as character actors goes, there aren’t that many A listers today that qualify. The two that come immediately to mind are Christian Bale and Oscar Isaac.

True, the point about leading men, like Tom Cruise, is that you are casting that character that they have created and fitting them into a movie. Tom plays Tom most of the time (with some great exceptions like Collateral) and people go to the movie because he has created a shortcut for them in terms of understanding what they are watching.

There aren't many actors that really transform into someone else in their roles, the ones you've mentioned are good examples. 

My point is that Leo often attempts to inhabit a character in the way that Bale would, but when Bale does it I tend to completely believe it, and when Leo tries.. I don't. 

27 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Looks way better than Damon’s filmography to me. What would you say Leo has done that’s as bad as some of the Damon movies I mentioned? Maybe stuff he did as a kid, but starting with This Boy’s Life, it’s been pretty good.

Eh, there’s a number of movies since then that I’m assuming aren’t very good because I’ve never heard of them. There’s also a few films that some people like, but some hate. And J. Edgar was just flat out bad. I think the big difference between the two is that Leo strings good movies together while Damon doesn’t. But that doesn’t mean Damon isn’t a great actor. His range is just smaller. Both guys are legit A listers though, which was my initial point.

Simmons is just an idiot homer for saying that the guy from Boston would always do it better.

29 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

True, the point about leading men, like Tom Cruise, is that you are casting that character that they have created and fitting them into a movie. Tom plays Tom most of the time (with some great exceptions like Collateral) and people go to the movie because he has created a shortcut for them in terms of understanding what they are watching.

There aren't many actors that really transform into someone else in their roles, the ones you've mentioned are good examples. 

My point is that Leo often attempts to inhabit a character in the way that Bale would, but when Bale does it I tend to completely believe it, and when Leo tries.. I don't. 

I think the big differences are (i) Bale is among the best ever with regards to changing his accent and (ii) Leo doesn’t do body transformations like Bale does.  

18 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Eh, there’s a number of movies since then that I’m assuming aren’t very good because I’ve never heard of them. There’s also a few films that some people like, but some hate. And J. Edgar was just flat out bad. I think the big difference between the two is that Leo strings good movies together while Damon doesn’t. But that doesn’t mean Damon isn’t a great actor. His range is just smaller. Both guys are legit A listers though, which was my initial point.

Simmons is just an idiot homer for saying that the guy from Boston would always do it better.

I agree Damon is a great actor. Which is why he shouldn’t do so much shit. :P

10 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I agree Damon is a great actor. Which is why he shouldn’t do so much shit. :P

Eh, I’m not going to bash someone for cashing in. I know I would. After all, we are not communists.

I think Sir Michael Caine put it best when discussing if he had or hadn’t seen Jaws 4:

"Somebody said, 'Have you ever seen Jaws 4?' I said, 'No. But I've seen the house it bought for my mum. It's fantastic!'"

https://www.independent.ie/style/celebrity/celebrity-news/sir-michael-caine-admits-he-has-never-seen-the-muchderided-jaws-4-34366505.html

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Eh, I’m not going to bash someone for cashing in. I know I would. After all, we are not communists.

I think Sir Michael Caine put it best when discussing if he had or hadn’t seen Jaws 4:

https://www.independent.ie/style/celebrity/celebrity-news/sir-michael-caine-admits-he-has-never-seen-the-muchderided-jaws-4-34366505.html

I mean, it is what it is. My favorite actor of all time (De Niro) has done plenty of shit. 

I just respect actors like Leo or DDL that are really picky about what they do. 

12 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I mean, it is what it is. My favorite actor of all time (De Niro) has done plenty of shit. 

I just respect actors like Leo or DDL that are really picky about what they do. 

De Niro has been cashing in on awful crap for three decades. Doesn’t change the fact he’s one of the ten best American actors ever.

And he, Leo and DDL don’t hold a flame to Robert Downey Jr. in Tropic Thunder.

Also, how dare someone say Tom Cruise isn’t a method actor:

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

De Niro has been cashing in on awful crap for three decades. Doesn’t change the fact he’s one of the ten best American actors ever.

And he, Leo and DDL don’t hold a flame to Robert Downey Jr. in Tropic Thunder.

Also, how dare someone say Tom Cruise isn’t a method actor:

Appearing in an Adam Sandler vehicle disqualifies De Niro from any top-10 list.

ETA: De Niro has never appeared in a Sandler vehicle. I think I just had my first experience with dementia. When I originally posted it I think I like blended Shark Tale, Little Fockers, and Jack & Jill into the same film in my head.

This has been Inside Jace. Come on back soon! ;)

45 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Appearing in an Adam Sandler vehicle disqualifies De Niro from any top-10 list.

ETA: De Niro has never appeared in a Sandler vehicle. I think I just had my first experience with dementia. When I originally posted it I think I like blended Shark Tale, Little Fockers, and Jack & Jill into the same film in my head.

This has been Inside Jace. Come on back soon! ;)

So this is the kind of experience you get Inside Jace?

Archived