Watch, Watched, Watching: Endgame

Ramsay B.

8 hours ago, Isis said:

GAH. *kicks self* GAHHHHHH. I'm really into disturbing sound effects/soundtracks as well. *kicks self again*

Do you have an arthouse theatre near you? Some of them may have it scheduled sometime soon, i know a local cinema that had it on recently along with other releases from December/January.

Also, the dance sequence was absolutely fantastic to see on the big screen. Absurdly wonderful

8 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Do you have an arthouse theatre near you? Some of them may have it scheduled sometime soon, i know a local cinema that had it on recently along with other releases from December/January.

Also, the dance sequence was absolutely fantastic to see on the big screen. Absurdly wonderful

Yep. I need to keep my eye out. Ironically my Curzon annual membership expired while I was on holiday, hardly got any use from it in the last 12 months. :/

I attempted to watch "Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool" but I was bored out of my mind and really annoyed that Annette Benning seemingly did nothing to mimic either the look, voice or manner of Gloria Graham, I felt like I was watching Annette Benning.  Isn't the point of a biopic, even one written about the later years of a not quite A lister, supposed to be somehow recognizably the person in question? Adding insult to injury but the film didn't delve into any interesting questions/theories/answers about Gloria Graham and her life, let alone answer them.

Seasons four and five of The Shield are so good.  Anthony Anderson, Glenn Close, and Forest Whitaker are all incredible.   I particularly love how Forest Whitaker strides the fine line between being a good guy and being a bad guy because, while he's right, he's just willing to be such scumbag to prove it.

Trophy in season five is probably my favorite episode of television ever.  Watching it live was the tensest hour of TV I ever remember watching.  

1 hour ago, briantw said:

Seasons four and five of The Shield are so good.  Anthony Anderson, Glenn Close, and Forest Whitaker are all incredible.   I particularly love how Forest Whitaker strides the fine line between being a good guy and being a bad guy because, while he's right, he's just willing to be such scumbag to prove it.

Trophy in season five is probably my favorite episode of television ever.  Watching it live was the tensest hour of TV I ever remember watching.  

Fuck.. you're making me want to do  a re-watch when I should do a re-watch of Deadwood.

Saw US, tonight. Loved it. Jordan Peele is really killing it as a writer/director. This one is a bit more of a straightforward horror movie than Get Out, but honestly I might like it even better. Lupita Nyong'o was amazing. 

I did see the switch twist coming, but it was done so well I didn’t mind.

I’m all in on anything Peele does going forward. 

I watched Netflix's biopic on Motley Crue: The Dirt. A rather poor glorification of the bands heydays and excesses in the 80s. Not surprising since it was was based on the book written by the members of the band. It was at its best when dealing with the bands internal conflicts and personal struggles. Ramsey Bolton as Mick Mars was damn odd to watch.

Watched 3 pretty crappy tv shows on Netflix last night. 

Firstly, After Life with Ricky Gervais. I'm of the opinion that he is a talentless hack, and that the office was a complete accident he shouldn't be taking credit for, and has been taking credit for ever since. After Life exposes him even more after the recent failure of Derek. He is a really quite poor actor to start with, but the writing is lazy and amateurish. Nothing that happens has anything resembling genuine human emotion, its all a caricature of grief, and worst of all its not even slightly funny. 

Before that we watched the Amy Schumer standup: 'Growing'. She mentions that she only did the show because she was contractually obliged. No idea if that was true or just a joke, but it would explain the laziness of her humour. The whole 'ooh look I'm overweight and I do stupid stuff' thing she's been pulling has gotten tired very quickly, and her revelations about pregnancy are just so basic you could have made those jokes if you'd never had a child. I don't really rate her in general but this was a total waste of time.

Then, following that theme of pregnancy we watched 'Working Moms', but again that was a very tired format full of deeply unpleasant characters behaving in ways that human being don't behave.

Sometimes watching tv can be a pretty frustrating experience.

On 3/15/2019 at 3:21 PM, RhaenysBee said:

I’m watching triple frontier on Netflix and it’s more predictable than anything I have ever seen in Disney. I can literally announce every single scene before it happens. And it’s so stupid, it’s so so terribly stupid. If it wasn’t for all these hot actors and their upper bodies, this thing would be unwatchable. 

Reveal hidden contents

WHO in their right mind would keep their money in a wall? What if there’s a fire? What if there’s mould? What if there’s pipe breakage? What if there are termites, rats? This is the most unsafe place to store money I could ever think of. Come on! 

Wait. It wasn’t one guy’s money! So did other guys just agree to store their immense amount of cash at someone else’s house in the wall? Why. Why. Why would any person ever think that’s a good idea? 

Don’t watch this movie. It is unwatchable.

Really?

I finished watching the third season of True Detective. Overall, I'd say it's neither as confused as season 2 nor as compelling as season 1. I thought Mahershala Ali was good in the lead role, but the bits of his story that didn't relate directly to the case weren't as interesting as the case itself. It's a competently told mystery which does a decent job of gradually revealing what happened, but it might have been more interesting as a shorter season.

Saw Us

It was... a sort of frustrating pretty good movie.

I'm a bit flustered by this one, 'cause I liked it. And it's pretty good. But there are some problems even before you get to the

Shyamialan plot twist

(^ not even a spoiler, ^ but don't come after me if you click on that shit)

which I really can't ignore if I'm being objective.

Don't get me wrong, it was pretty great. In an average kinda way. This feels like a Stephen King book where he had this great idea and series of scenes in his mind then ran out of steam like half way through the story but wouldn't stop writing to spend time thinking about it. There's brilliance lying all over the place, but it's kinda messy.

I definitely recommend the film, especially if you're into horror. My horror friend loved it, although we agree on the flaws. There's a bit too much humor, I think it confused the audience (not joking see if its similar at your theater) into laughing at inappropriate times, and the issue I spoiler capped bothered me waaaaaaaay more than I'd have expected but overall I liked Us very much. 7.5 out of 10 on the Jaceometer.

10 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Firstly, After Life with Ricky Gervais. I'm of the opinion that he is a talentless hack, and that the office was a complete accident he shouldn't be taking credit for, and has been taking credit for ever since. After Life exposes him even more after the recent failure of Derek. He is a really quite poor actor to start with, but the writing is lazy and amateurish. Nothing that happens has anything resembling genuine human emotion, its all a caricature of grief, and worst of all its not even slightly funny. 

Your username is very fitting...

23 hours ago, Heartofice said:

See, I think so little of this person (RG) that I wouldn't even watch the show at all. Ever. Not like there is a shortage of TV shows to watch either.

Whilst doing a huge jigsaw yesterday we 'watched' Centurion (LOL) and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Neither of these are films I would bother to watch 'properly'. The former is pretty much what you would expect - lightweight, cliched and mysterious as to why Dominic West, Michael Fassbender and a few other decent actors bothered to be in it. Got to pay the rent I guess. The latter was actually ok, featuring a great many sets of sad and 'almost human' monkey eyes and an improbably small and cute baby monkey.

After that we watched Polar which was borderline ok, in a "haha I'm joking, please don't take me seriously" kind of way. I say borderline because I feel like - could it have gone further in one direction or the other? Like, be more ridiculous or more serious? I felt it wibbled messily around rather than striking a clear tone of being either joke or serious but with comedic moments. 

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Normally i disagree with HoI but in this case i have to concur, Ricky Gervais is terrble

Don't get me wrong, i think Gervais as David Brent is a brilliant creation, but almost because he embodies the character so perfectly. Outside of doing that he's been mostly awful.

I saw his standup before he ever did the Office and it was crude and unfunny, lacked wit or timing. His radio show was actually good, but that almost nothing to do with him. Extras I quite liked but again, almost despite him. Everything else I've seen him has been completely dire. 

I remember a roundtable show of him and a bunch of genuinely good comedians and he was so utterly out his depth it was embarassing.

Archived