Watch, Watched, Watching: Endgame

Ramsay B.

I stumbled upon Friends from College on Netflix. I didn’t have any expectations at all, and it proved to bemoderately enjoyable background television. The plot makes absolutely no sense, but it’s also not trying to be “clever”, in which case I don’t mind the lack of logic and common sense. The characters are trying to be complex, some manage to, but most don’t. Again, that is okay for the purpose of background entertainment. I don’t know how much it resembles or compares to Friends or how much of that is intended, I never watched Friends. 

The photography of the opening credits and the interior design of the set is very Pinterest and aesthetically pleasing if someone is basic enough to be a sucker for that (I know I am). The comedy is a mild roller coaster, I found some of it genuinely funny and some of it overdone and straight up annoying. For some inexplicable reason, one does grow to care about at least some of the characters so there’s that too. 

All in all, if you don’t think too much about it, or you know, at all, it’s a pleasant little show to occupy a weary mind with.

(And if you do want to think about it, how US television these days portrays every demographic between the ages 15 and 50 as leading an upperclass 20something life is a bachelor thesis worthy topic.)  

On 3/31/2019 at 5:50 AM, Isis said:

Watched the first two eps of the second season of OA last night. Best thing I've watched on TV in ages.

Also watched the first ep of Project Blue Book on SyFy. Interesting...

Hahaha. Just wait. The next few episodes and the ending will blow you away. I absolutely loved this season of OA. 

The Highwaymen was very good. I've seen Costner play the silent, brooding type a few too many times, but he does it well.  Harrelson was great as always. I appreciated the non-romanticized, revisionist version of Bonnie and Clyde. Still amazing how many people attended the funerals of Bonnie and Clyde. 

12 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Anyone watched the first two episodes of the new Twilight Zone that came out today? Your thoughts?

First episode "The Comedian" is up for free on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19GO8-Rrn0g

I thought it was pretty good. Would watch more episodes if I didn't have to subscribe to CBS All Access. Maybe sometime in the future I'll do the one week free trial and binge them. 

Been rewatching Great British Bake Off as background while i study and i just finished the season with Nadiya. Damn i forgot how loveable she was and how touching her win was. 

Sad now because i think i only have one season left on Netflix. Ive never watched the C4 series anyway

10 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Been rewatching Great British Bake Off as background while i study and i just finished the season with Nadiya. Damn i forgot how loveable she was and how touching her win was. 

Sad now because i think i only have one season left on Netflix. Ive never watched the C4 series anyway

Nadiya has nothing on 2018's Rahul

Just now, HelenaExMachina said:

Channel 4, no mary, no sue, no mel, dont care

That was my first thought too, I'm a massive fan of Mel (not sue) and Mary.. but Noel is great and Sandy is actually pretty good too. I think its done a really good job of taking over from the BBC. Its not quite the same, but 2018 had some great contestants.

We finished Hannah last night. It was fine. The story isn't that interesting but I enjoyed some of the fights towards the end. We also watched the first episode of The OA. So far, it's intriguing enough to stick with.

7 minutes ago, Mexal said:

We finished Hannah last night. It was fine. The story isn't that interesting but I enjoyed some of the fights towards the end. We also watched the first episode of The OA. So far, it's intriguing enough to stick with.

The Pilot was alot better than episode 2. I remember too much from the film - did you see the film? Same storyline?

3 minutes ago, GrapefruitPerrier said:

The Pilot was alot better than episode 2. I remember too much from the film - did you see the film? Same storyline?

Pretty much the same plot except for the ending if I remember correctly. Been awhile since I've seen the movie.

On 3/29/2019 at 5:29 PM, briantw said:

That's how I watch pretty much everything.  

I do that for bad movies and/or movies that don’t require you to think, but you gotta be sober for the more high minded films.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I do that for bad movies and/or movies that don’t require you to think, but you gotta be sober for the more high minded films.

Yeah I tried watching Counterpart high but couldn't keep track of wtf was going on.  :lol:

Finished up True Detective S3 last night and I'm thinking NP just doesn't know how to close out his stories.  Just like S1 (I dropped S2 after 3 episodes because it was an unwatchable trainwreck) it started out pretty strong, good mystery, character development, excellent acting, and a strange element to everything.  Then he does stupid shit like add two timelines that added zero value, a solving of a case that made no sense and was ridiculously unbelievable, and then did this really dumb thing with the music at the end to cause fake tension for no reason whatsoever.

In the end it was ok, but I wouldn't recommend it.  I still think it should have just stayed as a single season limited series.

5 hours ago, aceluby said:

Finished up True Detective S3 last night and I'm thinking NP just doesn't know how to close out his stories.  Just like S1 (I dropped S2 after 3 episodes because it was an unwatchable trainwreck) it started out pretty strong, good mystery, character development, excellent acting, and a strange element to everything.  Then he does stupid shit like add two timelines that added zero value, a solving of a case that made no sense and was ridiculously unbelievable, and then did this really dumb thing with the music at the end to cause fake tension for no reason whatsoever.

In the end it was ok, but I wouldn't recommend it.  I still think it should have just stayed as a single season limited series.

This anthology series should have different writers for each season. I just don't think Pizzolato can do anything well except for mood and tone. S1 was great until the ending, s2 was terrible and s3 was ok. 

I'm two episodes into Traitors streaming on Netflix but originally aired on Channel 4 in the UK and Ireland, I believe. Intriguing so far. A spy drama set in London just after WWII. The beginning of the Cold War, British civil servant working with US agents to infiltrate a supposed Soviet spy ring within the newly elected Labour Party and British government. Of course it will probably turn out to be much more complicated with torn loyalties, double agents, etc.

Also finished Hannah and have the same basic opinion, eh...good enough that I would watch another season but that's about it.

Plan to watch S2 of the OA next.

Watched Hotel Mumbai last night. Pretty sad to say I don't remember these events happening. Not sure if there have been so many attacks that I can't keep them straight in my head or what. All in all it was an interesting movie to watch and a sad reminder. I don't know how accurate this movie was but it's scary how unprepared and undermanned the police were in portrayed as.

The series finale of You’re the Worst was both satisfying, and extremely fitting. Such an underrated show. Perfect blend of dark comedy and dramatic issues. Definitely one of the better endings I’ve seen from a series in a while. 

Archived