Watch, Watched, Watching: Endgame

Ramsay B.

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

I would tell you to get over yourself, but I’m well aware shitting on everything is pretty much your shtick here...

Anyway, I’m glad the show is back, as I have missed it during this long hiatus. I’m looking forward to actually getting an ending to this story. 

Yeah, I mean, the show isn't as good as the books, not even remotely close, but they really nail the spectacle in the later seasons.  

The writing took a major nosedive after they ran out of book material, though. 

GoT - I wouldn’t say I really like the show but I don’t see why fantasy fans would actively avoid it, it’s not like it’s a massive time sink and there’s nothing else like it available for now.  The premiere was fine, I still find the relentless plot resolutions slightly disconcerting given even the show was pretty plodding up until last season.

Other stuff - I just watched Childish Gambino’s Guava Island on Amazon video.  It was decent, a cool animation at the beginning and the story was ok.  Not sure about the ending, very bittersweet by any measure.  Could have done with some better original music too and I’m not sure why you cast Rihanna and not have her sing at all.

Similarly, Rammstein’s new video Deutschland is something else.  There is a lot going on and it’s all crazy.

9 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I would tell you to get over yourself, but I’m well aware shitting on everything is pretty much your shtick here...

Anyway, I’m glad the show is back, as I have missed it during this long hiatus. I’m looking forward to actually getting an ending to this story. 

Rob McElhenney was one of the Ironborn killed when Theon rescued Yara(Asha) :) 

I usually bounce around series on Netflix and finally finished season 2 of Norsemen. This series is hilarious. Jon Oigarden's Jarl Varg steals every scene he is in.

1 hour ago, john said:

GoT - I wouldn’t say I really like the show but I don’t see why fantasy fans would actively avoid it, it’s not like it’s a massive time sink and there’s nothing else like it available for now.  The premiere was fine, I still find the relentless plot resolutions slightly disconcerting given even the show was pretty plodding up until last season.

I find it odd that people refuse to watch GoT BECAUSE its fantasy. If anything it is the least "fantasy" fantasy show around. Or at least it was up till season 6ish.

Watched the premier of "warrior". It's like some weird amalgamation of "peaky blinders" "into the badlands" and the testosterone levels of "banshee". The latter clearly due to sharing the same creator. It seems a lot of fun and it's great to have a period/western actually acknowledge the number of Chinese people present on the west coast.

2 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I find it odd that people refuse to watch GoT BECAUSE its fantasy. If anything it is the least "fantasy" fantasy show around. Or at least it was up till season 6ish.

How many other fantasy shows are on air at the moment? It's pretty much the only successful "traditional" fantasy since the LOTR films finished. Looks like that's about to change with LOTR, Witcher, WOT and the GOT spin-off but i suspect none of those shows would have happened without GOT.

For me the cultural aspect is more than making up for the quality. It's nice to have people at work duscussing a fantasy show over a reality show

3 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Wasn’t he one of the Unsullied when they took Casterly Rock, too?

He's also played an "other" in lost and was in season 3 of fargo. He should make it a mission to appear in as many genre shows as possible

23 minutes ago, red snow said:

For me the cultural aspect is more than making up for the quality. It's nice to have people at work duscussing a fantasy show over a reality show

Discussing GoT at work makes me look like a right miserable snob though. Everyone talking about how great it all is and how cool dragons are.. and then I pipe up about the terrible writing and how the books are so much better and suddenly silence!

1 hour ago, red snow said:

Watched the premier of "warrior". It's like some weird amalgamation of "peaky blinders" "into the badlands" and the testosterone levels of "banshee". The latter clearly due to sharing the same creator. It seems a lot of fun and it's great to have a period/western actually acknowledge the number of Chinese people present on the west coast.

I'm totally in for Warrior. Premier was strong and there is nothing else like it on tv. Hope it gets a chance to flourish like Banshee did.

10 hours ago, briantw said:

Yeah, I mean, the show isn't as good as the books, not even remotely close, but they really nail the spectacle in the later seasons.  

The writing took a major nosedive after they ran out of book material, though. 

Eh, I think the show matches the books more than we think. The first three books were great, and so were the first three to four seasons. The fourth and fifth books are a mess and are totally unadaptable, so it’s not surprising that the show is much the same.

Really it was just the Sand Snakes. I can forgive everything else, but they were trash.*

*Still have a crush on one of them though…..

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Discussing GoT at work makes me look like a right miserable snob though. Everyone talking about how great it all is and how cool dragons are.. and then I pipe up about the terrible writing and how the books are so much better and suddenly silence!

It's interesting how after moving jobs/careee I've went from colleagues lamenting the adaptation having read the books beforehand to people who have only watched the show or read the books afterwards. So I'm still slightly snobby but the big plus now is i can't do so from a "the books did it better" stance as the books need to be written first.

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

I'm totally in for Warrior. Premier was strong and there is nothing else like it on tv. Hope it gets a chance to flourish like Banshee did.

It'll be interesting to see how it develops. The premier was essentially set up eg the politics aspect so it might become more complicated. They certainly appear to have ended the "quest" within one episode.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Eh, I think the show matches the books more than we think. The first three books were great, and so were the first three to four seasons. The fourth and fifth books are a mess and are totally unadaptable, so it’s not surprising that the show is much the same.

Really it was just the Sand Snakes. I can forgive everything else, but they were trash.*

Rosabell Laurenti Sellers? She is something. :wub:

18 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Rosabell Laurenti Sellers? She is something. :wub:

That would be the one. It looks like we’ve finally found common ground considering your reference to Birgitte Hjort Sørensen too.

Dunno ... to me, among the endless comix superheroes, endless zombies, the endless YA / Teen supernaturals from witches to vamps to time travel, multi-dimensionals, to television and films adapted from games, etc. television seems dominated by fantasy.  But then, it's television, which is fantasy built, for its true purpose, to sell the fantasies of commercials.  But by now, with fake news also dominating via faux etc., everything is fantasy, particularly the so-called real world.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

They really made Euron suck too, but I mostly agree with what you wrote.  The first four seasons are generally great, outside of some poor decisions (like the whole Talisa plot line).  You can tell they realized they ran out of time around season six when logic and travel times get thrown out the window to get everyone where they needed to be for the final season, though.  Characters zip across the continent in single episodes.  

I tend to think that D&D are excellent visual story tellers, but they struggle with the writing aspect, which is why the show's writing went to hell once they ran out of source material.

Still gorgeous to look at and a lot of fun, though.

Archived