US Politics: A Farewell to Arms

DMC

29 minutes ago, DMC said:

If Trump had to prove that, you haven't been paying attention for the past half century.

Remember Nannygate? Yeah, we've come a long way from there in the last 25 or so years.

Also, congrats to your Evil Empire. 

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Remember Nannygate? Yeah, we've come a long way from there in the last 25 or so years.

I'm not sure what Nannygate has to do with the GOP being completely shameless since Nixon -- and even doubling doubling down on the lack of accountability as Rumsfeld and Cheney plotted abject politics during the Ford administration.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also, congrats to your Evil Empire.

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

I'm not sure what Nannygate has to do with the GOP being completely shameless since Nixon -- and even doubling doubling down on the lack of accountability as Rumsfeld and Cheney plotted abject politics during the Ford administration.

Sure, and there are many more examples between the 70's and 2016. But there was also some notion of accountability when they got caught, at least in a number of instances (here's looking at you, Iran-Contra). Now there appears to be little to no accountability. It's never been this open and widespread. 

Thanks!

And meanwhile, I get to enjoy the gamecast of a 0-0 game at the 7th inning stretch. Two hits between the two teams.

:ack:

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

But there was also some notion of accountability when they got caught, at least in a number of instances (here's looking at you, Iran-Contra). Now there appears to be little to no accountability. It's never been this open and widespread. 

It's certainly on a escalating (or deescalating) scale of more unfathomable iniquity, but your original statement could have easily been applied to the GOP of 50 years ago, which was my point.

25 minutes ago, DMC said:

It's certainly on a escalating (or deescalating) scale of more unfathomable iniquity, but your original statement could have easily been applied to the GOP of 50 years ago, which was my point.

Fair enough.

In other entirely shocking news, Trump does the right thing for once in his life:

http://www.espn.com/specialolympics/story/_/id/26382217/trump-backs-cutting-special-olympics-funding

ETA: The URL headline is misleading. Trump is axing Devos' plan to cut federal spending on the Special Olympics.

So it's been almost a week since the Mueller report (and no new indictments) dropped.  The much anticipated Trump bump?  Non-existent according to 538.  His approval did go up .4% in within the week, but his approval on March 22?  41.9.  His approval as of a half-hour ago?  41.9.  Disapproval?  52.9 on March 22, 52.8 now.  Not good early returns.

30 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Fair enough.

In other entirely shocking news, Trump does the right thing for once in his life:

http://www.espn.com/specialolympics/story/_/id/26382217/trump-backs-cutting-special-olympics-funding

ETA: The URL headline is misleading. Trump is axing Devos' plan to cut federal spending on the Special Olympics.

It doesn't matter. Trump has no control over that. Congress controls the purse and they haven't taken up a presidential budget in who knows how long.

Oklahoma Democratic Party HQs and Chicksaw Nation OKC area office vandalized with neo-Nazi, white supremacist and anti-LGBTQ graffiti found this morning. 

One racist slogan spray-painted at the Democratic Party HQs was "Democrat n***** T******s".

OKCPD spokesman Capt. Bo Matthews:

Capt. Bo Mathews of the Oklahoma City Police Department said it would not be appropriate to say the Democratic Party was targeted because several entities are housed in the building.

FML.

8 hours ago, Maithanet said:

One worry I have about Mayor Pete is just that while it's hard to imagine in my social circles, but a huge portion of the country is still uncomfortable with gay people.  For example, this WaPo article cites the number of people who think that same sex adults having sexual relations is "not wrong at all".  Among DEMOCRATS that number is just under 60%.  That is 40% of democrats think that gay sex is at least somewhat wrong.  With Republicans, it's even worse, with only 41% saying not wrong.  So on the whole, it's about an even split of whether gay sex is wrong. 

That's really disappointing.

I don't have a WaPo subscription so can't see the original article. But to truly evaluate how "bad" this is, one would have to compare it with the % of people who say that heterosexual sex outside of marriage is "not wrong at all", and ideally with a question about same sex adults who are married to each other having sex. 

On 3/26/2019 at 7:46 PM, Mudguard said:

Democrats in the House arguably have the power to get Trump's tax returns.  I'm not sure why they haven't done so yet.  That said, I think it's unlikely that there is anything criminal in his returns, and presumably, Mueller has looked at them.  Another reason why we need to see Mueller's report.

I think Democrats are hoping more that the Tax returns will reveal Trump lied/is lying about how rich he actually is. I do concede they probably want something criminal to be going on there but I think the fact Trump being shown not to be as financially successful as he brags about would be enough to at least deal a real blow to his psyche and perhaps turn some people away from him.

@larrytheimp I accept your apology and concede I too seem to have been wrong in terms of Greenwald as well. It appears he was was justified in brushing off the investigation as unimportant. 

20 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I don't have a WaPo subscription so can't see the original article. But to truly evaluate how "bad" this is, one would have to compare it with the % of people who say that heterosexual sex outside of marriage is "not wrong at all", and ideally with a question about same sex adults who are married to each other having sex. 

Mayor Pete is still going to have to answer a host of questions full of fear (that the mainstream media will treat as serious and important) as to whether or not he will do the terrifying gay sex acts that scares all the Christians in the sacred Whitehouse?  Will he do the gay sex with a boyfriend? will he do the gay dating while president? Will he do the gay wedding while president? (The horrors!) Can’t he just pledge to be celibate so voters like oneself in Iowa and the mainstream media can pretend he’s straight and feel better about ignoring it? (it works for Cory booker and his latest celebrity beard! Everyone agrees it’s better to pretend can’t he just pretend?) and most importantly of all, what female relative can he assign to being First Lady?! He can’t just have a boyfriend be First Lady! Could you imagine a gay man choosing flower arrangements and dinner seating plans... oh wait... 

11 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

Mayor Pete is still going to have to answer a host of questions full of fear (that the mainstream media will treat as serious and important) as to whether or not he will do the terrifying gay sex acts that scares all the Christians in the sacred Whitehouse?  Will he do the gay sex with a boyfriend? will he do the gay dating while president? Will he do the gay wedding while president? (The horrors!) Can’t he just pledge to be celibate so voters like oneself in Iowa and the mainstream media can pretend he’s straight and feel better about ignoring it? (it works for Cory booker and his latest celebrity beard! Everyone agrees it’s better to pretend can’t he just pretend?) and most importantly of all, what female relative can he assign to being First Lady?! He can’t just have a boyfriend be First Lady! Could you imagine a gay man choosing flower arrangements and dinner seating plans... oh wait... 

He’s married.

4 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Lol, Nunes in today's hearing saying the House Intel committee should not be used to spread false narratives. My laugh of the day.

That's hilarious coming from someone who supports the king of the birthers and who's suing a fictional cow.

2 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:

Let's make a deal with Republicans.

We'll have Schiff resign, if every Republican that pushed Benghazi, emailgate, and birther-ism agrees to resign.

Otherwise, how about go and fuck off Republican Party?

https://www.vox.com/2019/3/28/18285513/adam-schiff-russia-trump-collusion

Schiff will resign...after Trump does.

3 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:

Let's make a deal with Republicans.

We'll have Schiff resign, if every Republican that pushed Benghazi, emailgate, and birther-ism agrees to resign.

Otherwise, how about go and fuck off Republican Party?

Are you being sarcastic? Like do you actually think  Schiff acted justly, and shouldn’t face criticism for his conduct or do you think the wrongs done by Republican Party means Schiff should be excused? 

Just now, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Are you being sarcastic? Like do you actually think  Schiff acted justly, and shouldn’t face criticism for his conduct or do you think the wrongs done by Republican Party means Schiff should be excused? 

Are YOU being sarcastic? Or have you been living under a rock?

Schiff isn't going anywhere and Nunes is a POS. They can just deal with it. 

Aren't checks and balances wonderful?

1 minute ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

First of all, how is pointing out a plain double standard go immediately to are you being sarcastic?  Are you disagreeing with the double standard?  If not, why isn't OGE's point substantively valid?

Second, YES, I actually do think Schiff acted justly, and has absolutely no reason to resign.  Prove me otherwise.

Archived