Jump to content
Corvinus

Star Trek: Picard

Recommended Posts

After I have seen some positive responses to the trailer I went and watched it myself and I don't know. It looks like Star Trek Renegades just with Stewart replacing Walter Koenig and Jeri Ryan replacing Tim Russ. And I found Renegades dreadful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Toth said:

After I have seen some positive responses to the trailer I went and watched it myself and I don't know. It looks like Star Trek Renegades just with Stewart replacing Walter Koenig and Jeri Ryan replacing Tim Russ. And I found Renegades dreadful.

Production values matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Production values matter.

Hell no. And I meant more that the implied story looks very much the same anyway. So an old venerated Starfleet officer puts together a group of edgy young people to crew an edgy dark ship for an off-the-book mission while one or two Voyager cast members are inexplicably hanging out in the background as well? Yeah sure, doesn't sound totally like Renegades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Toth said:

After I have seen some positive responses to the trailer I went and watched it myself and I don't know. It looks like Star Trek Renegades just with Stewart replacing Walter Koenig and Jeri Ryan replacing Tim Russ. And I found Renegades dreadful.

What's renegades? A show/game/book i missed?

The trailer looks cool. They just need to get the holo doctor in somehow. 

Online chatter/speculation is it could be a Borg story. The cube is an obvious give away but seven of nine and picard are both borg survivors so maybe that's intrinsic too? 

Hopefully the story allows for lots of easter egg style updates on how the original trek verse has progressed since abrams split things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, red snow said:

What's renegades? A show/game/book i missed?

A fanfic YouTube series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Werthead said:

A fanfic YouTube series.

Ah, ok. Explains how i missed it. Guess it's almost as valid as the Abrams stuff to some. Think I'd rather have seven-of-nine as part of the crew over Tuvok. Much more interesting character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, red snow said:

What's renegades? A show/game/book i missed?

A series of fanfilms directed by Tim Russ who wanted to pitch it as a Star Trek series to CBS. In a later episode Robert Beltran also appeared as not-Chakotay (they had to ditch the Star Trek name later on to avoid getting in trouble with CBS's draconian fanfilm guidelines made to kill Axanar). That surprised me a bit, given that I was under the impression Beltran hated everything about working with Star Trek. It was still absolutely awful and juvenile in its attempt to be dark and gritty and made me think that I don't want to see Tim Russ anywhere near Trek ever again, at least not directing stuff.

Given how they are still getting sued about stealing the first season of Discovery from an indie adventure game, I'm a bit morbidly curious where this is going.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

Hopefully the story allows for lots of easter egg style updates on how the original trek verse has progressed since abrams split things.

Well, they certainly have a lot of worldbuilding to do if they want to bridge the gap between Voyager/Nemesis and this. But then again, we are living in the time of hard reboots where Star Wars makes millions despite nobody knowing where the fuck the First Order came from four years after the first new movie. Worldbuilding is not needed to make money and the runners of the Picard show know that well.

Edited by Toth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, red snow said:

 

Online chatter/speculation is it could be a Borg story. The cube is an obvious give away but seven of nine and picard are both borg survivors so maybe that's intrinsic too? 

Hopefully the story allows for lots of easter egg style updates on how the original trek verse has progressed since abrams split things.

They've got Hugh back also...

They're going to need to be really careful how a Borg story plays out. Maybe the disaster that forces Picard to retire can be Borg related and all the statements about it being the destruction of Romulus being a fake out so we can go back to ignoring that JJ ever touched Trek...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trailer makes me think that someone in the Federation is messing around with Borg tech. We saw a cube that looked under construction, with some of the ships earlier in the trailer buzzing around it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Trailer makes me think that someone in the Federation is messing around with Borg tech. We saw a cube that looked under construction, with some of the ships earlier in the trailer buzzing around it.

Maybe the romulans are messing with Borg tech in a desperate attempt to get an edge back after losing their homeworld? That way Picard might feel bad for them but also know messing with the borg is no good.

Hopefully get a Janeway cameo or name check as she knows how dangerous the Borg are too.

6 hours ago, Toth said:

Well, they certainly have a lot of worldbuilding to do if they want to bridge the gap between Voyager/Nemesis and this. But then again, we are living in the time of hard reboots where Star Wars makes millions despite nobody knowing where the fuck the First Order came from four years after the first new movie. Worldbuilding is not needed to make money and the runners of the Picard show know that well.

The average viewer probably hasn't seen previous shows and others seem to be content with the nostalgia fix over any attempt of filling gaps etc. I mean, they can always do another show in 20 years trapped between the new show and nemesis continuity as showrunners seem to love boxing themselves in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, red snow said:

Maybe the romulans are messing with Borg tech in a desperate attempt to get an edge back after losing their homeworld? That way Picard might feel bad for them but also know messing with the borg is no good.

They already were, Eric Bana's ship from the JJ Abram's reboot used Borg technology. In a mining vessel of all things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, RumHam said:

They already were, Eric Bana's ship from the JJ Abram's reboot used Borg technology. In a mining vessel of all things. 

That must have been one of the details i forgot but may go someway to explain how a mining ship was more powerful than a warship from 70 years earlier. That bugged me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, red snow said:

The average viewer probably hasn't seen previous shows and others seem to be content with the nostalgia fix over any attempt of filling gaps etc. I mean, they can always do another show in 20 years trapped between the new show and nemesis continuity as showrunners seem to love boxing themselves in.

I'm already expecting the show to take place in a timeless bubble where nothing happens or ever happened outside of where the current plot is, perpetually disconnected from the rest of Star Trek.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, red snow said:

That must have been one of the details i forgot but may go someway to explain how a mining ship was more powerful than a warship from 70 years earlier. That bugged me.

Isn't it 130 years earlier at the point he died and an even bigger gap for when he killed Kirk's dad?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Toth said:

Well, they certainly have a lot of worldbuilding to do if they want to bridge the gap between Voyager/Nemesis and this. But then again, we are living in the time of hard reboots where Star Wars makes millions despite nobody knowing where the fuck the First Order came from four years after the first new movie. Worldbuilding is not needed to make money and the runners of the Picard show know that well.

The showrunner of Picard is Michael Chabon, author of The Yiddish Policemen's Union. He knows a thing or two about worldbuilding. Plus he wrote Calypso, probably the best single episode of Star Trek since In the Pale Moonlight twenty-one years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RumHam said:

They already were, Eric Bana's ship from the JJ Abram's reboot used Borg technology. In a mining vessel of all things. 

Where are you getting that information?  The Borg didn’t fire missiles, ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Where are you getting that information?  The Borg didn’t fire missiles, ever.

Might be from the canon prequel comic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×