Football: 'Let's talk about six, baby'

AncalagonTheBlack

5 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Have Liverpool really offered Klopp another extension a crazy wage increase? Would be insane imho, Klopp's current contract is still good for three more seasons. So I fail to see why they would approach him now.

There was a story about him being offered the Germany job because he’s ‘worn out’

But that seems like nonsense to me.

Worn out? Nah, he was recently quoted with the CL triumph have made him hungrier for more.

His original phrasing was one gets easily get hooked to winning titles, when you get to experience parades/celebration like the one Liverpool had after their CL triumph.

In other words winning is fun, it's even more fun when you get to enjoy the rewards for winning.

4 hours ago, Mexal said:

My understanding of this deal is Arsenal would immediately loan him back for the year and defer the major payments until future years. So yay but meh.

Oh, that's definitely a meh then. A very Arsenal-like signing.

Harvey Elliott: Liverpool set to sign Fulham teenager

Liverpool are poised to beat Real Madrid and Paris St-Germain to the signature of Fulham's teenage midfielder Harvey Elliott.

Elliott became the youngest player to feature in the Premier League when he came on as a substitute against Wolverhampton Wanderers in May, aged just 16 years and 30 days.

He cannot turn professional until his 17th birthday next April, but it is understood he will reject a scholarship at Craven Cottage and move to the Champions League winners.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Have Liverpool really offered Klopp another extension a crazy wage increase? Would be insane imho, Klopp's current contract is still good for three more seasons. So I fail to see why they would approach him now.

Because he's one of the two best managers in world football and they almost certainly aren't going to replace him with anyone better? Why wouldn't they want to keep him?

Still, they've been pretty openly saying they'd happily increase his wages in return for extending his contract for a while. Klopp seems to like the 7 years at a club and then moving on idea.

10 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

I heard about this, but haven't seen the kid play so I'm hoping someone here could give a bit more info about him.

Being the youngest player to make the PL debut and first of his generation to break into the first team is impressive but it's one thing to do it at a team as bad as Fulham was last season and quite another to play in a title contender team.

18 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Because he's one of the two best managers in world football and they almost certainly aren't going to replace him with anyone better? Why wouldn't they want to keep him?

Still, they've been pretty openly saying they'd happily increase his wages in return for extending his contract for a while. Klopp seems to like the 7 years at a club and then moving on idea.

That's one way to look at it. However he till has quite some time left on his current contract (2022, I think). At some point managers usually tend lose a bit of their magical touch on teams. It's not being nasty or anything. Players grow accustomed to the manager, and tend to need a new impulse. Clubs can counteract it, by bringing in a sufficient number of fresh faces every 4 years or so. But there are really reasons why most club managers don't last six, seven or eight years. So if Klopp's magical touch wears off, and Liverpool were to decide to pull the trigger on him, that could get quite expensive. And like I said, his current contract was/is still running for 3 more years, so they could've easily waited until the end of the next season to negotiate an extension. But what really sounded a bit crazy was the rumored wages they offered him. I read something about 15m € a year.

Anyway, talking about managers.

@BigFatCoward is it safe to ask you about your feelings at the prospect of Chelsea legend and quality human being John Terry taking over at Newcastle? I mean, you said you didn't want Mourinho. :leaving:

5 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

@BigFatCoward is it safe to ask you about your feelings at the prospect of Chelsea legend and quality human being John Terry taking over at Newcastle? I mean, you said you didn't want Mourinho. :leaving:

Ashley and Terry deserve each other, pair of utter wankbags.  I'll be devastated though. 

8 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I have decided Harvey Elliot will never make it based purely on his hair

Using the Googles, I must agree. Honestly I judge a man’s number of friends based on his hair cut, assuming he isn’t bald (although that can also be the biggest tell).

Now both Keita and Shaqiri are missing preseason due to injuries from their international games.  They both could really have benefited from a solid preseason and now they risk a second season of drifting in and out of the team.

Liverpool will be playing kids up front and in goal for all of preseason, and the start of the season will depend heavily on how fit Salah, Mane and Firmino are after their international tournaments.

2 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Newcastle should give Ranieri a shot. Would be a better appointment than either Bruce or Terry and he's a free agent as well.

Too functional, where would be the fun in that? :P

Anyway, I can imagine, that bigger name managers are not particularly eager to take the Newcastle job. I mean, everybody saw what Benitez had to deal with, and he is a real big Name manager (capital N). So they figure that Ashley will probably be even less inclined to give them a transfer budget to strengthen their team. If the upper and upper midtier managers pass up on that opportunity, you suddenly end up with Steve Bruce and quality human being John effing Terry.

3 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Anyway, I can imagine, that bigger name managers are not particularly eager to take the Newcastle job.

No one of substance is going to take it while Ashley is the owner. If Benitez couldn't convince Ashley to do it his way, no one's got a chance.

Re: the longevity of managers and Klopp, I guess the main thing is continually refreshing the squad so that your manager-ness doesn't get old and stale. Ferguson (and to a lesser extent Wenger) had several very distinct teams over the years, and Ferguson was quite ruthless at discarding players of his once they had gone past their prime (Wenger much less so). Whereas Guardiola and Mourinho have never stayed long enough to have multiple generations of "teams" at the same club, hence have never had to usher fading stars out the door that they had longstanding relationships with.

Klopp might well have the track record to stay for a decade or more and Liverpool should do everything they can to keep him. That being said an extension was hardly needed given his terms now. I guess an extension is like a "bonus" for winning trophies.

Archived