Women's World Cup 2019

ljkeane

The US got away with that, England had the chances to win and let them slip away.

Having said that it was a bit of a repeat of the rest of the tournament. England weren't totally clinical with taking their chances, particularly penalties, and they gave the opposition chances with their loose play and this time they came up against a team in the US good enough to take them. On top of that Neville made some odd choices, I'm not sure I see the logic of switching to 4-4-2 and why change the 'keeper at this stage?

13 minutes ago, Philokles said:

Taking out someone’s leg as they are about to tap it in is a pretty obvious foul. Shit penalty though. Don’t know why White didn’t take it.

If she wanted to tap it in, it would have been a goal. There was no need to swing her leg like she did. It was a Harry Kane penalty; smash your leg into the defender who is running into space and go down.

ETA: by rules, it should have been penalty. Just saying she could have scored easily without causing it.

8 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

The US got away with that, England had the chances to win and let them slip away.

Having said that it was a bit of a repeat of the rest of the tournament. England weren't totally clinical with taking their chances, particularly penalties, and they gave the opposition chances with their loose play and this time they came up against a team in the US good enough to take them. On top of that Neville made some odd choices, I'm not sure I see the logic of switching to 4-4-2 and why change the 'keeper at this stage?

England had their chances to tie. Not sure about win.

2 minutes ago, Mexal said:

If she wanted to tap it in, it would have been a goal. There was no need to swing her leg like she did. It was a Harry Kane penalty; smash your leg into the defender who is running into space and go down.

That's nuts. White's about to bury the chance 6 yards from goal, the defender clips her heel as she's taking the shot. It's a stonewall penalty. I don't see what's controversial about it.

4 minutes ago, Mexal said:

England had their chances to tie. Not sure about win.

The missed penalty obviously, the disallowed goal which was a fractionally mistimed run and Dahlkemper standing on White's heel in the first half should have been a penalty too. That would have been White buying a penalty and very harsh but she did stand on her heel. I suppose that doesn't count as a missed chance from England as such. 

The US would have been unlucky to lose, they were in control for more of the game, but England did have the chances to win it if they had taken them.

Right.     

This isn't the best time to ask, but what is White trying to say when she 'puts on the glasses'?

Bright is a glorious Amazonian anchor and Daly a pro at creating advantage however.   Horan was a wrecking ball who got smacked in reprisal.   It was on.    I felt like in most universes England wins or it goes to overtime.   

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

I fail to see why she would trade in a 90% chance of a goal for a 75% chance of one even if the decision was guaranteed to go her way.

20 minutes ago, The Mother of The Others said:

This isn't the best time to ask, but what is White trying to say when she 'puts on the glasses'?

White copied the celebration from the Köln striker Anthony Modeste as she is a fan of his and of the club. Not sure the reason Modeste celebrates that way.

I see everyone else found the second semifinal as interesting as I did. I gave up around halfway through the second half. The Dutch are probably a more talented side than Sweden but I can't really see them causing the US too much difficulty. I think Sweden would have been more of a threat to grind out an upset.

I'm a bit torn on this US team. They aren't particularly likeable on the pitch. They haven't played a very attractive style in the knockouts, they're kind of dicks and the US media I've read has generally been a little dismissive of their opposition, which is a bit annoying. On the other hand they're the best side, you have to admire how well the US have been supported away from home and they've done a number of admirable things off the pitch. :dunno:

4 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I see everyone else found the second semifinal as interesting as I did. I gave up around halfway through the second half. The Dutch are probably a more talented side than Sweden but I can't really see them causing the US too much difficulty. I think Sweden would have been more of a threat to grind out an upset.

I'm a bit torn on this US team. They aren't particularly likeable on the pitch. They haven't played a very attractive style in the knockouts, they're kind of dicks and the US media I've read has generally been a little dismissive of their opposition, which is a bit annoying. On the other hand they're the best side, you have to admire how well the US have been supported away from home and they've done a number of admirable things off the pitch. :dunno:

I’d much rather face the Dutch than Sweden. We have a history with the latter, and if we lose, I’d rather it be to the former. That said, your second paragraph is a bit wishy-washy, and I don’t think a England support can bash the U.S. after the way your ladies behaved in the last 10-15 minutes of the match. They committed so many dirty fouls. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I don’t think a England support can bash the U.S. after the way your ladies behaved in the last 10-15 minutes of the match. They committed so many dirty fouls. 

Well they committed one dirty foul, which Bright got sent off for, the rest was the US players trying run down the clock and the England players committing some fouls in their desperation to get the ball back. Fairly standard really. 

Regardless how likeable or not England are doesn’t really change my opinion of the US side.

I will say this for the American women, they didn't have an easy path.  If they win the championship, they will have faced and defeated the 4 best teams at the tournament (the 3 other semifinalists and France). 

4 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Well they committed one dirty foul, which Bright got sent off for, the rest was the US players trying run down the clock and the England players committing some fouls in their desperation to get the ball back. Fairly standard really. 

Regardless how likeable or not England are doesn’t really change my opinion of the US side.

I mean I get it, it just seemed like they had no care for their opponent's health, which I'd call dirty. And at one point a player shoved one of our players when they were getting up which is uncalled for.

I honestly don't get the argument that they're unlikable. It's not like Hope Solo is the face of the team anymore, and they're doing a lot to grow the game for other countries. Europe has almost caught up with us and South America will soon too. They're fighting for equal pay and better playing conditions. And they're gangbusters for the ratings. The only thing I can even think of pointing at is celebrating when you're up 10-0 over an inferior team, but the flip side of that is that it could be each players only chance to do that. 

7 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I don’t think a England support can bash the U.S. after the way your ladies behaved in the last 10-15 minutes of the match. They committed so many dirty fouls. 

Like ljkeane said, this is really standard stuff in every football game. I have no bone in this fight given that I'm totally neutral to the WC, but every football game can become like that when the stakes are high. I don't know how many football ( soccer) games you've seen, but making fouls out of frustration happens all the time. And every team is guilty of it, even the US team. I don't think it's particularly far from the norm.

In an ideal world no one would make cynical fouls, but I don't think this houlier than thou attitude is something that really makes sense to me.

Edit: Re: Likability - I don't know the US players that well, but Rapinoe is obviously super likable to me.  I think people aren't the biggest fans as ljkeane said, as they play pretty direct football that I can understand not caring for The media have been a bit OTT, but again that's the media for you - it's similar to the whole 'it's coming home' stuff with the english media with the men's WC last year. But again, this is all in the context of your team doing well in a competition, so while it's a little cringey, it's also quite natural and something where I think a little leeway should be afforded.

9 minutes ago, Raja said:

Like ljkeane said, this is really standard stuff in every football game. I have no bone in this fight given that I'm totally neutral to the WC, but every football game can become like that when the stakes are high. I don't know how many football ( soccer) games you've seen, but making fouls out of frustration happens all the time. And every team is guilty of it, even the US team. I don't think it's particularly far from the norm.

In an ideal world no one would make cynical fouls, but I don't think this houlier than thou attitude is something that really makes sense to me.

Eh, I feel like I haven't seen much of it in the EPL and MLS games I've watched over the last two years. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but what took place on Tuesday seemed fairly egregious. I get that they were desperate, but you can play under those circumstances without losing your composure. We'd probably be having a different conversation if one of our stars got hurt and was out for the Final.

I'm surprised that you haven't seen it in the EPL, I haven't seen too much of MLS this season, but it's fairly standard stuff for the EPL. In addition, the WSL is probably the better comparison, and again pretty standard there, granted that I primarily watch Arsenal's WSL team and not every game.

Archived