Big Little Lies: Throwing Shade with Style [season 2 spoilers]

HexMachina

36 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Neither is cheating on your spouse for a long period of time, telling your daughter about it and not telling your husband and simply hoping he never finds out. 

Punishing is a word picked to get a response.

Both sides of the relationship are handling things very badly. But also in a way that seems more plausible than textbook "healthy" solutions - especially given their characters.

I'm not sure her constantly telling him it's all about her really helps. Yes, she's trying to accept responsibility but on the other hand it's making out like his role in the relationship is entirely vestigial. Basically they need the therapist/intermediary to get them talking.

I am still resigned to it being turned into entirely his fault though as it's pretty clear at this point he's on a destructive path.

Mary louise strikes! Was fun. She has so much she can throw at Kidman's character - including her knocking a twin to the ground a few episodes ago. The "was that foreplay" line was brutal. Although again, i feel it will be a lazy cop-out if mary Louise is drugging her. It's far more interesting if this is genuine self destructive behaviour.

A much stronger episode than the previous week where every scene seemed to count. Besides the awkward psychic black woman nonsense at the end.

On 7/1/2019 at 11:44 PM, dbunting said:

Something that I am not liking is the psychic angle they are going with Bonnie's mom. I'd rather they just let her see things by being observant like Mary Louise.

I'm not really feeling that the character or her plotline is adding anything to the show, I think it would be stronger without her.

On 7/2/2019 at 5:08 PM, Isis said:

Loved the scene where the bar dude walks into shot, as if from nowhere.

That was amusing. Since we see him some time before the other characters do he had plenty of opportunity to decide not to walk into the room, but a willingness to charge headlong into an awkward situation seems to be compulsory for living in Monterey Bay.

I am enjoying this season but a lot of it feels so forced to me. Ed finding out about the cheating because Abigail is openly talking about it at home, the Nathan and Ed catfight, Mary Louise’s obnoxious intrusiveness and all the supernatural stuff with Bonnie’s mom. Sure most of it is plausible, but it unsurprisingly doesn’t feel as natural as season 1.

Renata’s plot line might interest me the most right now and I think it’s because Laura Dern is just killing it. 

10 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I am enjoying this season but a lot of it feels so forced to me. Ed finding out about the cheating because Abigail is openly talking about it at home, the Nathan and Ed catfight, Mary Louise’s obnoxious intrusiveness and all the supernatural stuff with Bonnie’s mom. Sure most of it is plausible, but it unsurprisingly doesn’t feel as natural as season 1.

Renata’s plot line might interest me the most right now and I think it’s because Laura Dern is just killing it. 

Laura Dern brings so much energy to the scenes she is in. It's a good way to play what's a power hungry and greedy character. The fact she is so unapologetic about it is oddly endearing.  I'm totally on-board with her anger at her husband although it's weird how she is standing by him. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a little indifferent of the show over the last couple of weeks ( last week's episode was half decent, except for the very weird editing at the end ) but I'm sharing this as it goes some way in explaining why a lot of scenes this season have felt very out of place/ weirdly edited - 60 page scripts being shortened to 40 minute episodes is particularly unfortunate.

I think this goes some way into explaining why this season has felt quite disjointed ( I still think Kidman's performances are excellent but I really couldn't care about anything else), it's unfortunate that this season has all felt a little bit hollow to me.

Edit - There are so many questionable choices in the second season, but I can't get over making the only other black women in the show a mystic with anger issues. I feel like that was a pretty terrible decision, and has really put me off the show recently and reaffirms my misgivings of how the show handles the minorities characters within the show.

5 minutes ago, Raja said:

I've been a little indifferent of the show over the last couple of weeks

I haven't been able to make myself complete watching the fifth episode.  Persons screaming about not being not rich are hard to take; persons who are all like ok I cheated but really it wasn't about you so kiss-kiss-kiss make-up at couples therapy resort are hard to take -- and wthell are you doing telling YOUR DAUGHTER WHO IS AN ADOLESCENT about it?  I like Jane, but Bonnie's all wet (ah-hem), and why in hell is Celeste being such an idiot? What Mary Louise is up to from the git go was broadcast to all and sundry.  Not to mention Negrows that no one knows what to do with, except make em magical. I kinda hate 'em all about now.

Also, why is everyone fixated on music and other pop culture icons of an era that neither the adults nor the kids were around for?  This is pretty much a mess. That it is being 'translated' from Australia to the US is a big part of the reason.  Probably the information you provided has a lot to do with it too, as well, as there was one novel and now there are two seasons.  Feh.

Haven’t watched this season yet but reading the indiewire article makes me really sad. Pretty fucked up to hire a director with a distinctive style and force her to watch while another director comes in and destroys all her work. 

7 hours ago, Mexal said:

Haven’t watched this season yet but reading the indiewire article makes me really sad. Pretty fucked up to hire a director with a distinctive style and force her to watch while another director comes in and destroys all her work. 

Yeah - the behind the scenes stuff is quite something. I can't believe they didn't talk! And they didn't tell her. Sheesh. This is pretty awful from the producers/ HBO.

Tbh, I still think there are *some* good things in S2, especially with Kidman/ Streep & Shailene Woodley, but I feel like they've had no story all season. I think it's important to have a show that puts domestic violence front and center, but the season just feels a little hollow, especially the last 3 or so episodes ( Episode 5 was especially strange)

Marginalizing a female director for two dudes? Ugh.

4 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Celeste's interrogation was brutal. I feel like the judge allowed way too much to slip by unchallenged

Agree. I feel like some of it was a bit much. Although I don’t know exactly what is allowed in these type of cases. Denis O’hare plays such a great weasel.

This was a much better episode than the last few. The season has been really messy, and obviously not needed, but I’m just trying to enjoy the cast and ending we get(this time). Given a do-over and I would’ve probably just stopped after season 1 though. They got us... Meryl Streep manipulation.

I quit watching this 2 1/2 eps in.  However, one cannot get away from it.  So I have a prediction for what will happen in Sunday night's final episode.

Bonnie will die.  Because Bonnie is the one who killed Perry. Thus the balance of the universe will be restored, according to Hollywood standards of narrative.  She might die removing Mary Louise, which would make everyone feel satisfied.  :P  One way or another Mary Louise too must go.

Madeleine will get divorced.  Renata too.  Jane will continue being Jane.   I mean, we have pointed out often that Bonnie was given nothing to do, nothing to make her a person.  Neither has Jane.  Getting raped does not a character make.  Well, she does seem to be a good mom, but is that enough to make a character on tv?

:rolleyes:  :idea: :cheers: 

15 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Laura Dern smashing her husband’s train set was worth a second season alone. :lol:

That was the one prediction I got right -- Renata getting divorced.  But sheesh, what else is going to happen in a marriage where a self-made woman's fortune got swallowed up by her dickhead spouse's dickhead financial shenanigans, especially a woman who will not not be rich.  Duh.  Still.  But that scenario is the same subplot that's on the Sarah Jessica Parker Divorce.  One of the primary character's closest friends is now poor because he husband is a financial crook and in the clinker.  But it's played more for laughs than Big Little Lies's soap operatic melodrama.

I thought the last episode was poor to be honest. I have a real dislike nowadays for courtroom dramas used as an excuse for soap elements. I'm not sure i can handle "ally McBeal" david e Kelly in this show. 

I also don't like it when seven year olds talk like wise old men offering relationship advice.

But i really enjoyed Madeleine and her husband's sensible resolution and was pleased it didn't end up with the husband evening the score/being a full time dick. Although did he turn the woman down for the one night stand or was it left ambiguous?

Bonnie's resolution was also not entirely expected and felt pretty sad for her and her husband. Not sure how they plan on resolving her confession at the police station as it means the other 4 will also face convictions. Given I can't stand the style of courtroom drama on display this season I'm not going to be on board for a third season centred around court.

The show has great acting and still has some good scenes but it feels dangerously close to farce and soap opera compared to the first season. From this I'm hoping they leave "sharp objects" as the great miniseries it was.

9 hours ago, Triskele said:

Just finished last night.  Somewhere along the lines of the the consensus which is that not as good as S1 overall, Streep quite amazing.  

But Dern was so great in her moments, and not just the train set scene but throughout.  

Dern's character needs more screentime for sure. She'll be fascinating to watch when properly bankrupt. Her husband deserved a few more hits with the baseball bat and i totally understood her frustration with that pathetic man-child.

I think streep's time is up on the show, although maybe Kidman's involvement in covering up a homicide/manslaughter could mean the kids end up with her. Bonnie's revelations in season 2 does call into question how much it was an accidental death vs someone letting out their anger on a (deserving) target.

Archived