Football: Steve the Bruce King of Geordies

1 hour ago, Raja said:

Anyone subscribing to the athletic uk? Their Arsenal line up is quite decent, and I need amy lawrence's writing in my life so I'm thinking of giving it a go.

This already looks quite intriguing, good quality writers. Saw a post about Guardiolas defence that I wanted to read but obviously need to subscribe. Not sure I am committed enough to pay for it but I'm tempted.

2 hours ago, Raja said:

Anyone subscribing to the athletic uk? Their Arsenal line up is quite decent, and I need amy lawrence's writing in my life so I'm thinking of giving it a go.

I did a weeklong trial of The Athletic just recently and found it to be almost all American sports articles.  And that’s not just because it is soccer’s off-season —NBA and NFL had loads of content. 

I might try it again once they have more soccer content but it was pretty thin for a paid subscription. 

2 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I did a weeklong trial of The Athletic just recently and found it to be almost all American sports articles.  And that’s not just because it is soccer’s off-season —NBA and NFL had loads of content. 

I might try it again once they have more soccer content but it was pretty thin for a paid subscription. 

Like Raja says they just launched their UK version yesterday and they've been poaching a load of football journalists over the summer to provide content for it. It does look interesting but I'll probably wait a bit to see what people think of it before I fork out.

7 hours ago, Raja said:

I'm already subscribed so looking forward to it. The coverage for American sports is really good.

Latest transfer buzz is Dybala has chosen Spurs over United. Also Rugani to Arsenal loan obligation to buy. Cancelo to City should be official later as well. 

Juve has gotten some good players in but I question some of these out going’s. Danilo is definitely a downgrade on Cancelo. Kean has tons of promise and Dybala is a fan favorite, still young with superstar potential. Guess he just doesn’t jive on the pitch with cr7.

Not exactly true though. Reports are that Spurs have reached an agreement with Juve, not with Dybala as yet. United also had an agreement with Juve. The stumbling blocks were 1) Dybala wasn't keen on leaving Juve 2) his salary demand was €10-11m/year net and 3) his agent wanted a £16m commission. 

ETA. There were also issues regarding the use of his image rights. Personally, I'm very happy that United pulled the plug on that transfer.

If Spurs are negotiating for Dybala then they are probably worried that Eriksen will be departing.  From their point of view it was a very positive surprise to have so little activity around him this summer after he basically announced his intention to leave, and his contract expires next summer.  Spurs probably hoped that with Madrid and Barcelona signing other players that perhaps Eriksen had no better option available and would instead sign a new contract (we should just call that "doing a DeGea" going forward).  But paying a big fee and big wages to Dybala would only make sense if they expect to lose Eriksen after all.

Apparently United have rejected anyway - doesn't make sense for us to accept a loan deal. Arsenal have rejected the bid for Iwobi as well.

Paul Joyce reporting that Zaha is trying to force a move and Everton are prepared to pay a club record fee. 

Just now, Consigliere said:

Apparently United have rejected anyway - doesn't make sense for us to accept a loan deal. Arsenal have rejected the bid for Iwobi as well.

Paul Joyce reporting that Zaha is trying to force a move and Everton are prepared to pay a club record fee. 

That we bid for Iwobi suggests any Zaha deal is dead. 

We have, it seems, offered a club record fee for Zaha - twice (remember, ours is £45m for Sigurdsson), and have been rebuffed. So I see this as switching targets.

16 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

That we bid for Iwobi suggests any Zaha deal is dead. 

We have, it seems, offered a club record fee for Zaha - twice (remember, ours is £45m for Sigurdsson), and have been rebuffed. So I see this as switching targets.

I don't think the intestest in Zaha is dead - Paul Joyce wouldn't have reported this otherwise and he's incredibly reliable for Everton and Liverpool. I don't see Palace budging with the window closing tomorrow though. I'd also be surprised if Arsenal sells Iwobi this late in the window unless Everton up the offer to around £40m. 

ETA. just as I typed that out.

Archived