Football: Better Call Raul

Raja

Well, I did say the top performing players of those youth teams and not every single English youth player. 

And I do think the best coaches are coming out of Germany - not just because of Klopp. Tuchel, Nagelsmann, Rose and Ten Hag (learned the trade at Bayern) all play an exciting brand of football that has raised their stock. Really outside of the top tier of managers, it's hard to think of any English, French, Italian or Spanish coaches that would be in demand like those guys. I'd include Ralph Hasenhuttl too - I rate him and think he's done a great job at Southampton under difficult circumstances. Only a matter of time before he's offered a better gig. 

Just checked his wikipedia page.

He started his coaching career as assistant manager at Twente in '06.

He joined PSV in the same capacity in '09.

Then he took over as manager at Go Ahead Eagles (I've always liked that club's name for some reason) in 2012 (and he actually got them promoted that season).

He then took over the Bayern reserve in 2013.  Like I said, I think Guardiola was the pulling factor, as in he wanted to watch and learn from the best.

He then left Bayern's reserve for Utrecht in 2015.

5 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Do they even have crime in Oxford? Living the easy life, BFC?

My policing career has been in Bethnal Green, Tottenham and Wembley. I want to live somewhere that the worst crimes the local gangs commit are pocket money scams and tuck shop fraud. 

Saudi Arabia's Sovereign Wealth Fund?

Is that Mohammad bin Salman's little piggy bank?

If so, I think you have to give Ashley credit for finding one of the few human beings who are actually worse than him to sell his club to. Nice way to show the fingers to the Newcastle fans on more time.

1 hour ago, Soylent Brown said:

Do they even have crime in Oxford? Living the easy life, BFC?

Haven’t you watched Morse, Endeavour and Lewis?  Oxford has a surprisingly high murder rate per capita.

At 340m, Newcastle would actually be a good investment for a sovereign wealth fund.  Look how much Liverpool has grown in value under FSG.  And the Saudis get some sports-washing as a side benefit.  I’d like to think the fan base would object to the morals of the owners, but that hasn’t happened with City. 

9 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Why did the Fulham captain get sent off for conceding a penalty?  Does the double jeopardy rule not apply in the Cup?

It's only if you're making a genuine attempt to win the ball you get a yellow for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity, if you commit what's deemed a deliberate foul you still get a red. Ream pulled Jesus back so it's a red.

6 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Why did the Fulham captain get sent off for conceding a penalty?  Does the double jeopardy rule not apply in the Cup?

Haven't been able to catch the games but it sounds like a similar sort of thing that happened to David Luiz against Chelsea. If the referee deems that the player has not made a genuine attempt to play the ball then double jeopardy no longer applies -  a straight red card can be issued + penalty awarded as well. 

Archived