Unconventional opinions dumpsterfire of a thread

Alyn Oakenfist

1 minute ago, SeanF said:

No, she was a slave.  It was rape, and meant to be read as such.  There's not much debate about the morality of it.

Which one are we talking about? The brothel one or Illyrio's one. I personally was talking about the Illyrio one seeing as the brothel one had faded from my memory given that I skip Tyrion's chapters from the moment he gets off the Shy Maid up to his arrival in the Yunkish camps.

1 minute ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Which one are we talking about? The brothel one or Illyrio's one. I personally was talking about the Illyrio one seeing as the brothel one had faded from my memory given that I skip Tyrion's chapters from the moment he gets off the Shy Maid up to his arrival in the Yunkish camps.

I've quoted the scene in #271 it's not Illyrio's girl, it's a salve "sunset girl" 

7 minutes ago, Nagini's Neville said:

I've quoted the scene in #271 it's not Illyrio's girl, it's a salve "sunset girl" 

Yes I know, I was curious what scene SeanF was talking about. I do agree that the brothel one is pretty much rape.

1 minute ago, Nagini's Neville said:

you mean SeanF? I think he is talking about the same, since we don't have two scenes like that from Tyrion, that are clearly rape.

WRT Tyrion and Sansa.  He wanted sex with a traumatised 12 year old prisoner.     And, he would have been putting her life in real danger, had he made her pregnant.  Medieval people were well aware of the dangers of early pregnancies, which is why many marriage contracts stipulated that sexual relations would not begin until the girl was 15 or 16.  

2 minutes ago, SeanF said:

WRT Tyrion and Sansa.  He wanted sex with a traumatised 12 year old prisoner.     And, he would have been putting her life in real danger, had he made her pregnant.  Medieval people were well aware of the dangers of early pregnancies, which is why many marriage contracts stipulated that sexual relations would not begin until the girl was 15 or 16.  

:bowdown: 100% agree :) My opinion all along

17 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I think we are going down a real slippery slope judging people for their wants or thoughts. They should really only be judged by their actions. 

He could potentially have put her life in danger, had he went through with it, but he didn't. 

I don't recall one marriage contract, in universe, that stipulated any such thing but it isn't the sex that endangers them, it's the pregnancy & childbirth & they do have some means of preventing that. Not to say the whole practice of arranged marriages isn't barbaric IMO, it is. But having the marriage consummated at her age, in universe, is hardly unheard of. It's not the most common practice but it is done & no one seems to bat an eye at it. 

SSMs are not canon

In most of his interviews I feel type bad for the guy. He does his best to remain spoiler free, but these fans, theyre like starving vultures pecking at the littlest skin available. Hes a writer, not an improve artist.

Also, hes wrong sometimes. Inaccuracy can not he canon. For example (around 30:20)

He talks about a mistake he made when writing Renlys eye color. So he talks about correcting that mistake in book 3 with a clever save. But... he didnt, that part is not in asoiaf and Renlys not in book 3

23 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

He talks about a mistake he made when writing Renlys eye color. So he talks about correcting that mistake in book 3 with a clever save. But... he didnt, that part is not in asoiaf and Renlys not in book 3

Renly isn’t in ASoS, true. But that doesn’t mean others can’t talk about him. 

ASoS, Davos V

“Yet Edric Storm was three inches taller and broader in the chest and shoulders. He was his father’s son in that; nor did he ever miss a morning’s work with sword and shield. Those old enough to have known Robert and Renly as children said that the bastard boy had more of their look than Stannis had ever shared; the coal-black hair, the deep blue eyes, the mouth, the jaw, the cheekbones. Only his ears reminded you that his mother had been a Florent.”

12 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Renly isn’t in ASoS, true. But that doesn’t mean others can’t talk about him. 

ASoS, Davos V

“Yet Edric Storm was three inches taller and broader in the chest and shoulders. He was his father’s son in that; nor did he ever miss a morning’s work with sword and shield. Those old enough to have known Robert and Renly as children said that the bastard boy had more of their look than Stannis had ever shared; the coal-black hair, the deep blue eyes, the mouth, the jaw, the cheekbones. Only his ears reminded you that his mother had been a Florent.”

Yes in asos Renly is referenced as blue eyed. Not "blue or green eyes that change according to the light"

Also he says characters as in plural, as in more then Renlys eye color changes, but again that's not true

Just now, Hugorfonics said:

Yes in asos Renly is referenced as blue eyed. Not "blue or green eyes that change according to the light"

So, he retconned it in a different way. Does it matter? 

Just now, Hugorfonics said:

Also he says characters as in plural, as in more then Renlys eye color changes, but again that's not true

Not sure what you mean here.

16 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

In AFFC, Brienne meets Gendry and she believes him Renly even in the eyes.

On 4/14/2020 at 11:15 PM, Nagini's Neville said:

4. The "mistakes" Sansa makes in AGOT could have been easily avoided through different parenting from Ned. I still think Ned was a good and appropriate father for the Middle Ages though.

Yes.  If he only had a similar moment with her as he'd had with Arya.  I was so expecting it and never got it.  I've been ringing this bell for a while, but I think people are starting to realize this failing on Ned's part.

It's weird to me, there is so much talk about, who is most legitimate to be the next king. To me it's clearly Stannis, he is the next in line. He rightfully feels so entitled IMO. If Dany can take the throne from him- so be it. But until then, Stannis is obviously the rightful heir to the late King Bobby.

I really don't care who is king.  It's more about how the grand issues of the realm are solved and the choices the characters make in getting there.  It's clear from all the prequels that succession is a complete shitshow, so Jon's parentage and claim won't make a hill of beans difference in the end, nor will Dany's or Aegon's or Stannis's for that matter.  His magical heritage might.  And it wouldn't matter if he were a Stark Targ, or a Dayne Targ, IMO for the magic.

28. I think Theon is a rapist

Yeah, he's just a player, which makes him a major douche.  

1 hour ago, Hugorfonics said:

Speaking of, Rhaegal's eyes change color.  once gold, later described twice as bronze, probably a retcon to make them match the description of his egg.  

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

So, he retconned it in a different way. Does it matter? 

He didn't. Renlys eyes were always blue except that one time that Sansa thinks they're green. That passage GRRM is describing in asos doesnt exist.

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

Not sure what you mean here.

I thought he made another mistake (by not making a mistake lol)

17 minutes ago, The Green Bard said:

Speaking of, Rhaegal's eyes change color.  once gold, later described twice as bronze, probably a retcon to make them match the description of his egg.  

But I was wrong.

Huh, cool

48 minutes ago, frenin said:

In AFFC, Brienne meets Gendry and she believes him Renly even in the eyes.

Because Gendrys eyes are blue

16 minutes ago, The Green Bard said:

It matters to the point that SSM's are not always true.  

Isn’t that perhaps loosing sight of the actual issue? The actual issue is, he made a mistake. He said he’d correct it and he did. That he did it in a different manner doesn’t seem that important IMO. As a matter of fact, I wouldn’t even have cared if he never corrected it at all. And another thing is, I have never seen Martin say anywhere that he was going to retcon it a certain way or that he had. The one SSM I recall reading on the subject is from someone reporting on a book signing or something like that, and that Martin had said something along the lines of, “maybe Renly’s eyes change colour from blue to green depending on the light or what clothes he’s wearing” (paraphrasing).

1 minute ago, Hugorfonics said:

He didn't. Renlys eyes were always blue except that one time that Sansa thinks they're green. That passage GRRM is describing in asos doesnt exist.

Arya is always 9 in Game, except for only one time she remembers in Storm she had been 8, when she killed her first boy :)  Why does Renlys eye color matter so much?

Archived