Rothfuss XVI: Books? What books?

Kyll.Ing.

11 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

Is there a link? I can't find anything on it.

I did find the anniversary edition of the previous book which boasted the following.

50 minutes in. 

Q: Will there be a 10th anniversary WMF?

A: Probably sure. Probably yes. I imagine. 

Basically after either book 6 or 7, the pattern repeats for every two books to a degree that would make Eddings blush.

Spoiler

Character is a woodworker of some sort.

Joins Army, Learns magic

Starts to go blind from magic

Uses magic anyway to blow something up

Ends up blind.

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Basically after either book 6 or 7, the pattern repeats for every two books to a degree that would make Eddings blush.

Hide contents

Character is a woodworker of some sort.

Joins Army, Learns magic

Starts to go blind from magic

Uses magic anyway to blow something up

Ends up blind.

Isn't this the backstory to Scent of a Woman? Except carny skills instead of carpentry?

On 6/5/2020 at 2:56 AM, Ninefingers said:

50 minutes in. 

Q: Will there be a 10th anniversary WMF?

A: Probably sure. Probably yes. I imagine. 

I listened to the entire thing. Rothfuss spends most of it complaining about his fans.

Sure, fans may be frustrating. That's fair. But, for god's sake, don't devote an entire hour online to it.

4 hours ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

I listened to the entire thing.

Goodness. I have no idea how you made it. I tapped out at the 15 minute mark.

Right about the time he was taking people to task for saying things that you wouldn't say to a friend at your house or a casual acquaintance. (With of course, no acknowledgement that he recently did just that in response to a perfectly polite question.)

His lack of self awareness is just staggering. 

Some grad student in a literary program should write a bootleg sequel as their thesis and so all the fans can leave Pat alone. Just change the names to Protagonist, Antagonist, Thanos, ManicPixieDreamGirl1, ManicPixieDreamGirl2, etc... and then we can all do a find and replace script on the text and read the story. 

13 hours ago, Vaughn said:

Some grad student in a literary program should write a bootleg sequel as their thesis and so all the fans can leave Pat alone. Just change the names to Protagonist, Antagonist, Thanos, ManicPixieDreamGirl1, ManicPixieDreamGirl2, etc... and then we can all do a find and replace script on the text and read the story. 

If I were feeling vicious, I'd suggest an online D&D game with the names changed to generate a sequel. Between our Bard with ludicrous Charisma (and Wisdom as a dump-stat), and Wizards, Rogues, and Monks, it should be do-able.

6 hours ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

If I were feeling vicious, I'd suggest an online D&D game with the names changed to generate a sequel. Between our Bard with ludicrous Charisma (and Wisdom as a dump-stat), and Wizards, Rogues, and Monks, it should be do-able.

You're trying to tell me that Kvothe isn't just Rothfuss' self-insert power fantasy bard/kensai multiclass who swears he rolled all those 18s in his stats legitly? Sounds to me like you'd just be following Rothfuss' actual process.

I actually think a sitcom loosely based on Rothfuss would be pretty funny.  Geeky perpetual student turns into bestselling novelist.  Acquires wealth, fame, fans.  Hates it and spends his days not writing his book and videogaming while eating Cheerios.  The pilot would start off in his therapist's office with him staring at the ceiling narrating some of the Felurian scenes...

6 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

I actually think a sitcom loosely based on Rothfuss would be pretty funny.  Geeky perpetual student turns into bestselling novelist.  Acquires wealth, fame, fans.  Hates it and spends his days not writing his book and videogaming while eating Cheerios.  The pilot would start off in his therapist's office with him staring at the ceiling narrating some of the Felurian scenes...

I’d watch...

12 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Nah, use the writing room as the framing device. It's a quiet place where the only thing that happens is time passing, Cheerios being eaten, and videogames being played. The present day has a sense of melancholy, with the novelist being a shell of his former self. Then the therapist arrives, to talk to the novelist about his successful past. He spends the show recounting his wacky antics and the inspiration for his success. The viewer is left to wonder how those wild days of success turned into the slog of the current day. Something huge must have happened! A wild development in the man's life, that broke him and changed the world around him. How could that happen? What could it be?

... and then the show gets put on ice before that question can be answered.

2 hours ago, Kyll.Ing. said:

Nah, use the writing room as the framing device. It's a quiet place where the only thing that happens is time passing, Cheerios being eaten, and videogames being played. The present day has a sense of melancholy, with the novelist being a shell of his former self. Then the therapist arrives, to talk to the novelist about his successful past. He spends the show recounting his wacky antics and the inspiration for his success. The viewer is left to wonder how those wild days of success turned into the slog of the current day. Something huge must have happened! A wild development in the man's life, that broke him and changed the world around him. How could that happen? What could it be?

... and then the show gets put on ice before that question can be answered.

So we’re kind of thinking How I Met Your Mother crossed with The Big Bang Theory with a little bit of Tony/Dr Melfi from The Sopranos.

Archived