Small Unworthy Things, Once More, With Feeling!

Fragile Bird

A new French bakery opened in my area. The owner tells in an interview that the idea came to him as part of a midlife crisis. Fed up with his office job, lifestyle and detachment from the real and tangible world, he decided to open a bakery with his partner. I have yet to check out this place, but the story in itself is quite inspiring. 
Now I want my own shop where people come in to buy a cup of coffee or tea, some baked good, a book and literature, art and history themed merch (including canvas tote bags).
But first we must survive covid and all real and imagined health issues I developed in 2020. 

On another note, I have acquired a new canvas tote bag! About two years ago I have developed a mild obsession for canvas tote bags. Originally for environmental reasons, then mostly for the designs and in support of my favorite shops and places (see this isn’t a different topic after all). I have one from an independent bookshop, one from a zero waste store, one from Wroclaw, one from my previous job which I exchanged with my mother for one from the university where my entire family except me went to. And now one from the first/best/only macaron shop in town! It’s an adorable Christmas design that doesn’t actually scream Christmas, you can only detect it upon closer inspection. 

I really want another canvas tote bag from either or both of my favorite coffee shops (neither has released one yet). And from that random handcrafted things for a lot of money shop opposite my favorite park. Oh my, imagine a canvas tote bag from the park itself! With the street sign and the gate and the rabbit! I would pay up to €20 for a canvas tote bag from that park. They could sell it in the book vending machine. For crying out loud, I’ve seen covid rapid test vending machines in front of a mall, give me a canvas tote bag in the park vending machine! (I’m not drunk, I’m just in a weird mood) If we ever get to travel again I’ll get a Tretyakov Gallery canvas tote bag and a Giants Causeway one :crying: 

I spent a lovely day with Mr. Elder Sister pulling out all my blue willow china and working on my fantasy of living in a Midsomer Murders episode.

ETA:  R.Bee, I adore canvas bags. I totally get your post!  As my husband says, “It’s the little things.” :)

On 1/8/2021 at 2:46 PM, Elder Sister said:

I also love my electric kettle.  It's beautiful, and if I could wear it as an accessory, I would.

12 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

I hear that.  Mine lights up blue.  It's like watching fencing in the Olympics.

Are electric kettles uncommon in the US or do you both just happen not to have had one for long?

This has been your daily dose of "H's assumptions about other countries and the stupid questions this prompts"

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Are electric kettles uncommon in the US or do you both just happen not to have had one for long?

This has been your daily dose of "H's assumptions about other countries and the stupid questions this prompts"

Many, many Americans have no idea what an electric kettle is. Unlike Canada, where most people have one, or if they don't have a whistling kettle to use on the stove.

Decades ago (I was 20) a friend bought a condo in West Palm Beach. I went down there with her to help with the finishing touches. We went to many stores, many people had never heard of an electric kettle, but a couple of sales people immediately said, you're from Canada, aren't you? Canadians bring them down with them from Canada! It may be different now.

22 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Many, many Americans have no idea what an electric kettle is. Unlike Canada, where most people have one, or if they don't have a whistling kettle to use on the stove.

Decades ago (I was 20) a friend bought a condo in West Palm Beach. I went down there with her to help with the finishing touches. We went to many stores, many people had ever heard of an electric kettle, but a couple of sales people immediately said, you're from Canada, aren't you? Canadians bring them down with them from Canada! It may be different now.

Well that's my fact for the day[ (doing well, it's 1.45 am here :P )

I wasn't sure if it was just a difference between countries. I assumed it wasn't a generational or wealth thing either as my grandparents have always had electric kettles (and my paternal grandmother was very old fashioned and resistant to new gadgets when she was alive) and they are also available really cheap over here (though you can of course get more expensive ones). 

Maybe the lack of electronic kettles is why Americans make such poor tea ;):P

2 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Well that's my fact for the day[ (doing well, it's 1.45 am here :P )

I wasn't sure if it was just a difference between countries. I assumed it wasn't a generational or wealth thing either as my grandparents have always had electric kettles (and my paternal grandmother was very old fashioned and resistant to new gadgets when she was alive) and they are also available really cheap over here (though you can of course get more expensive ones). 

Maybe the lack of electronic kettles is why Americans make such poor tea ;):P

God almighty they have horrible tea, that's all! It is a bit better now, more people drink tea, but when I travelled for business and now when I go to a con, I bring my own tea. In tea bags, no less, Canadian tea is just so much better! One year at Christmas I sent my friend rocksniffer some loose Earl Grey I bought in the Polish deli and he was in seventh heaven. I send him some on a regular basis, but recently I've also been sending Kusmi for Christmas and he guards it with his life. I also sent some English breakfast and he loves that too.

On 1/6/2021 at 7:06 AM, Fragile Bird said:

Technically the day is May 24, her actual birthday, and celebrated the second last weekend of May. This year the holiday Monday will actually be May 24. It's known as the start of summer, and traditionally the cities of Canada empty out and people head for a cottage somewhere, preferably on a lake. Good old Queen Vikky signed the British North America Act, which created the country of Canada. When we created our constitution, we asked the Brits to go find the damn thing, buried in a box in a basement of Westminster, or maybe a warehouse somewhere. It was totally unimportant to the UK, of course. It is not celebrated in Quebec as Victoria Day, they changed it to Fete de Dollard in 1918 and then again National Patriots Day, to celebrate "the struggles of patriots in 1837-38 for political libery".

It's also known as the May long weekend, but also as the "2-4" holiday. The major brewers in Canada long ago invented a case of beer with 24 bottles in it, and ever since the tradition has been to pick up a 2-4 for the 2-4 weekend.

It sounds like it could be the same as what we call the Queens birthday holiday here (Aus) but it is assumed to be for the sitting monarch not Victoria. Its not on any Monarch's birthday as far as I know, I had the impression that day was not convenient...

Speaking of holidays I met a French backpacker who was talking about their long weekend for 1 May, and I said that's the May day holiday, and explained it was for labour and workers and she said why no, it's just everyone is happy because its Spring. Its hard to believe knowledge dies so quickly I used to go to May day rallies and even from childhood when we used to see the weird Russian marching and tank procession. Also distinct memories of seeing huge French rallies.

On 1/2/2021 at 8:31 PM, BigFatCoward said:

My daughter wont talk to someone if it's not a video call. She doesnt understand it. So my 92 year old nana without a smartphone can only speak to her if my mam is there for a visit. 

I heard about a 6 year old with computer geek parents plus having some zoom kinderarten who says 'delete' in response to questions like 'do you want some milk?' and 'PAUSE!" when she wants someone to wait up for her when walking.

I got my first electric kettle when I started uni and moved out. It gave me not only tea, but instant ramen, instant soup, mug cakes, instant oatmeal and even sausages at one point. Glad to have left that behind and use it only for tea and non-instant oatmeal these days. 
A couple years ago I got one for my mother so she would stop brewing tea in a filter coffee machine. She doesn’t use it, however, because she likes that making tea in the filter machine takes forever. She puts on the tea, feeds the dogs and prepares breakfast while it’s brewing and fifteen minutes later she has the right temperature tea ready to enjoy. I don’t get it, but I suppose we all have our rituals. 

My favorite teas are English breakfast, “green” ivan chai, an Irish breakfast tea I bought in Belfast, earl grey, peppermint/camomile tea. I used to really enjoy chai tea, rose petal tea and lady grey but I haven’t really had those in a while. (on the brand side I’m pretty basic, PG/Yorkshire English breakfast, Twinings earl grey and just plain pharmacy brand peppermint and camomile. I haven’t really found any fancier brands that taste any better to me)

Sister gave me and my mother some high end free leaf tea for Christmas from a Chinese tea salon/shop (not sure what they call themselves) though. Those teas are mind blowing, they feel like you are sipping heaven. 

2 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

The fuck kinda penguin are you?

2 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Louisianan Mud Penguin. 

I was thinking a humble Humboldt. Particularly this:

If an individual comes too close to an adult Humboldt penguin, the Yell is a warning call which is followed by pecking or chasing if ignored.

Been doing a lot of Twitter news doomscrolling the past week, which, as one can imagine, has mostly been depressing, but sometimes it causes me to come across a story so hilarious that it almost makes it all worthwhile.

No kink shaming from me though; unless your kink is using unsecured internet connections.

3 hours ago, Fez said:

Been doing a lot of Twitter news doomscrolling the past week, which, as one can imagine, has mostly been depressing, but sometimes it causes me to come across a story so hilarious that it almost makes it all worthwhile.

No kink shaming from me though; unless your kink is using unsecured internet connections.

I was going to complain about the evil snow as well, but your post made me laugh so hard...and now I have so many questions.  :D

Archived