Small Unworthy Things, Once More, With Feeling!

Fragile Bird

On 12/16/2020 at 2:52 PM, RhaenysBee said:

I feel you all need to know that my new Harry Potter socks are far worse quality than my beloved Primark Harry Potter socks. Yes it is possible to produce worse quality clothing items than Primark. I was surprised too. Now this is just another reason why we badly need to eradicate coronavirus and travel again. The whole reason I had to buy these shit socks in the first place was that I couldn’t go to the UK and buy the usual Primark Harry Potter socks. I must say I am quite worried they won’t last till the pandemic is over and we can travel again. I may even be forced to source further producers of Harry Potter socks. But who knows what quality those will be? Troubling. 

I have a dozen or so dress socks that are designed after famous paintings. They look awesome, but they are not that comfortable and when you turn them inside out it looks like they're just waiting to fall apart. Each pair probably gets worn 1-3 times a year under normal circumstances. 

3 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

This week I had to schedule the euthanasia appointment for my most beloved cat, Guava. After almost 17 years together and bottle raising him from three days old, we say goodbye on Monday. Cancer is a real bitch.

I’m sorry to hear this.

That’s how I lost my first dog. 

Fuck cancer. 

My condolences your your cat.

6 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I find black socks and beige socks are the way to go. Depending on what you’re wearing. 

This is just boring. Colourful socks with crazy patterns are the way to go.

7 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I actually went looking for Harry Potter socks on Amazon after I saw your original post. I need more socks like I need a hole in the head. Fortunately I wasn’t impressed by any of them.

Nope, the Harry Potter socks market supply just doesn’t live up to my demands. Amazon only sells the generic House logo and hedwig ones. The best Harry Potter socks are the somewhat creative and unique collaboration designs. Primark had really nice ones, I have a magical vehicles collection (knight bus, flying for anglia and hogwarts express), but there’s a death eater and a quidditch collection too, which I now regret not getting last year. 

7 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I find black socks and beige socks are the way to go. Depending on what you’re wearing. 

These are the majority of my socks too, and  they are a pain to pair. :( But yes some occasions/shoes/trouser lengths unfortunately call for non magical socks.

7 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I have a dozen or so dress socks that are designed after famous paintings. They look awesome, but they are not that comfortable and when you turn them inside out it looks like they're just waiting to fall apart. Each pair probably gets worn 1-3 times a year under normal circumstances. 

But don’t you feel magical those 1-3 times a year to have famous paintings on your feet? 

9 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

This week I had to schedule the euthanasia appointment for my most beloved cat, Guava. After almost 17 years together and bottle raising him from three days old, we say goodbye on Monday. Cancer is a real bitch.

Sorry for your loss, Kay. 

3 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

But don’t you feel magical those 1-3 times a year to have famous paintings on your feet? 

Yeah, but no one can see them unless I show them off which kind of makes me a tool.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yeah, but no one can see them unless I show them off which kind of makes me a tool.

Why does anybody need to see them for you to feel great in them? :dunno: 

or you know, you can always frame them, they are famous paintings after all :D

11 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

I'm sorry to hear this sad news.  I'll send all the good vibes I can Guava's way. 

1 hour ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Sadly, it became time late last night/early this morning instead and I lost my last couple days with him

Oh dear that’s terrible. I’m really sorry. :( At least he is no longer in pain and I have no doubt he knew how much you loved him. 

On 12/16/2020 at 8:52 PM, RhaenysBee said:

I feel you all need to know that my new Harry Potter socks are far worse quality than my beloved Primark Harry Potter socks. Yes it is possible to produce worse quality clothing items than Primark. I was surprised too. Now this is just another reason why we badly need to eradicate coronavirus and travel again. The whole reason I had to buy these shit socks in the first place was that I couldn’t go to the UK and buy the usual Primark Harry Potter socks. I must say I am quite worried they won’t last till the pandemic is over and we can travel again. I may even be forced to source further producers of Harry Potter socks. But who knows what quality those will be? Troubling. 

I actually find Primark quality decent for what it is and what i pay. Their t-shirts in particularly sturdy, wash well and are great for doing housework in.

Shoes,however, its a no from me.

I worked there actually, once upon a, holy helll i think it was the year I joined the forum, how time flies.

On 12/17/2020 at 3:32 PM, Tywin et al. said:

Tis the season and per usual, there are a ton of ads directed towards men to buy sexy pajamas for their GFs and wives. Does any woman actually want these things? Whenever I see the ads I automatically think of The Simpsons episode where Homer buys Marge a bowling ball for her birthday with his name on it.

Very likely not. If i want sexy lingerie i’ll buy it myself. I don’t need anyone elsebuying me tacky faux feather lingerie/dental floss for the genitals that doesn’t come close to fitting properly. Don’t guesstimate sixes either. You might consider youself some Don Juan who can figure out someone’s size at a glance, but chances are you can’t and if you think you can your previous partners were sparing your feelings

On 12/19/2020 at 1:52 AM, Fragile Bird said:

I actually went looking for Harry Potter socks on Amazon after I saw your original post. I need more socks like I need a hole in the head. Fortunately I wasn’t impressed by any of them.

You can never have too many socks!

On 12/19/2020 at 2:14 AM, A True Kaniggit said:

With coloured heels/toes make pairing up easier!

On 12/19/2020 at 3:30 AM, Fury Resurrected said:

I am so sorry Kay, the loss of a pet is always difficult, especially one you have had for so long. It can be equally as painful as losing friends or family. I hope you can take comfort from your loved ones and or other pets at this difficult time.

On 12/19/2020 at 9:56 AM, RhaenysBee said:

Nope, the Harry Potter socks market supply just doesn’t live up to my demands. Amazon only sells the generic House logo and hedwig ones. The best Harry Potter socks are the somewhat creative and unique collaboration designs. Primark had really nice ones, I have a magical vehicles collection (knight bus, flying for anglia and hogwarts express), but there’s a death eater and a quidditch collection too, which I now regret not getting last year. 

These are the majority of my socks too, and  they are a pain to pair. :( But yes some occasions/shoes/trouser lengths unfortunately call for non magical socks.

See response above to A True Kaniggit

9 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

actually find Primark quality decent for what it is and what i pay. Their t-shirts in particularly sturdy, wash well and are great for doing housework in.

I only ever bought Harry Potter stuff and homeware from Primark, but I was never dissatisfied. Last November I wanted to get fun Christmas pyjamas from a Primark but the lines were too long and we ended up leaving. 

9 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

With coloured heels/toes make pairing up easier!

Indeed. And they bring a bit of fun and magic into your morning. 

10 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I only ever bought Harry Potter stuff and homeware from Primark, but I was never dissatisfied. Last November I wanted to get fun Christmas pyjamas from a Primark but the lines were too long and we ended up leaving. 

Indeed. And they bring a bit of fun and magic into your morning. 

Lines are always long at Primark (even in a pandemic!) but every member of staff is (well, was, i’m talking 7 years ago now) till trained so in busy periods they put out a call. I don’t think wait times were ever longer than 5 minutes in the store i worked at and as a shopper i’ve had the same experience. Except maybe once I had to call into the one on Oxford Street (first week living in London, i shall never repeat that error again) i waited maybe ten minutes in the queue, all told.

ETA - Little tip, but while it may seem counter intuitive to shop during the busiest period, that is when the tills are fully staffed and you’ll get served quicker. I think it varies store-to-store but ours was 2p.m.

Working from home brings me joy for the sock game. Today i’m suiting the weather with baby pink, fluffy slipper socks. Bliss.

Dental odyssey continues.

I have had one filling and now I am terrified to eat anything.  Dentist said no nuts or Jolly Ranchers for a bit, but sandwiches and tacos...and chips...are good after twenty four hours.  He said the filling should be hardened after an hour but to expect temperature sensitivity for a week or so. 

I have been prescribed toothpaste that has four times as much fluoride as off the shelf paste.  I am instructed to brush and wait a half hour before rinsing, eating or drinking.

It was suggested that I gargle with salt water twice per day.  I am doing so.

More fillings to come.  It's possible I have a fifth cavity in there somewhere.

On 12/28/2020 at 11:13 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Lines are always long at Primark (even in a pandemic!) but every member of staff is (well, was, i’m talking 7 years ago now) till trained so in busy periods they put out a call. I don’t think wait times were ever longer than 5 minutes in the store i worked at and as a shopper i’ve had the same experience. Except maybe once I had to call into the one on Oxford Street (first week living in London, i shall never repeat that error again) i waited maybe ten minutes in the queue, all told.

ETA - Little tip, but while it may seem counter intuitive to shop during the busiest period, that is when the tills are fully staffed and you’ll get served quicker. I think it varies store-to-store but ours was 2p.m.

Working from home brings me joy for the sock game. Today i’m suiting the weather with baby pink, fluffy slipper socks. Bliss.

Wow Primark secrets. And which store would you recommend to visit? 95% of my Primark visits were to the Oxford street one and the least amount of time I spent in line was about 20 minutes. But it was almost always weekend which hardly helps, I suppose. 
ah if I ever get to visit the UK again I’ll come home with a suitcase of Harry Potter socks, raisin scones and simple moisturizers. But before that I’ll spend two weeks in rural England and not answer the phone to any of my family members :crying: 

Archived