Small Unworthy Things, Once More, With Feeling!

Fragile Bird

Today a repairman arrived at my apartment - with a mask. Upon requested to put one on, he excused himself had to return to his vehicle in order to fetch a mask. 

Is it not mandatory to wear a mask on the street? 
is there no street between my door and his parking place? 
is it not obvious, self-explanatory and basic instinct by now to apply all due safety measures, including face covering, before entering another person’s home? 

And my heater still makes noises it shouldn’t. And the plastic covering of the machine is warm to the touch. And I still don’t think it’s okay. Have I ever mentioned that I hate this flat? 

Can anyone tell me what is it about stainless steel cutlery these days? I bought a nice set of stainless steel cutlery years ago (good grief, it must be 35 years ago) from Oneida’s Community line. Paul Revere, a nice plain pattern. We had a mix of silver which needed to be replated with time, and just got tossed out or donated instead (it was relatively inexpensive stuff, an old pattern you can find at antique shops, and silver wears off) and cheap stainless that got tossed when damaged. About 15 years ago I was given a nice set of stainless steel cutlery, so that was very convenient. I actually considered buying a second set and tossing the other bits and pieces, but it was a bit pricey, so I didn’t.

Recently I’ve been noticing a couple of knives have taken on an odd sheen after being washed in the dishwasher, and spots of rust, yes rust, on a few spoons and forks. Stainless steel is not supposed to rust. My Paul Revere stuff has also not been washing well, the spoons get a stain in the bowl of the spoon, but hey, they’re 35 years old. As it happens, I received an Oneida set as a promotional gift a year ago, which I set aside, and finally decided to pull out all the other stuff and replace them with this new Oneida stainless steel. Two washings in the dishwasher and two pieces, a fork and a spoon, emerged with rust spots on them! Bloody hell. Again, stainless steel is not supposed to rust. I’m really cheesed off.

I guess the cutlery is from the lowest line from Oneida, not the Community line, and made in Vietnam. Everybody tries to compete by manufacturing cheaply overseas, but rust after two washes? Come on, Oneida! The box says they’ll replace any faulty pieces “with proof of purchase”. I feel like sending them to Oneida telling them where I got them and how cheesed off I am, even if they don’t send me replacements.

I have just read a few posts on this thread and its seems to be a place where people discusses day to day frustrations.

Though I retired at the end of August, I taught one online class this fall at my university. The final assignment in the course was a term paper. It was a class in Personality Theory and the paper was supposed to analyze the personality of some individual who the student had read a biography or autobiography of. 

I had a student in that class who received an F because they didn't turn in the term paper and some other work. Last week I got an email from that student claiming the term paper was turned in on November 24. There was no email from that student on Nov. 24 anywhere in my university email account. I told the student to send it again. Today, six days later, I got a term paper from that student. It was obviously a paper which had NOT been written for my class. It was a paper on a particular psychologist named Mary Ainsworth and her research on the concept of attachment (famous in developmental psychology). It was NOT an analysis of Mary Ainsworth's or any other individual's personality. 

Why do people think I am too stupid not to realize that a paper has been written for the specifications of another course and doesn't fit my own requirements? It wasn't a badly written paper, but it did not fit the requirements for the paper in my class.  It's certainly irritating to have someone try to get away with this. So that's my frustration of the day. :) 

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Can anyone tell me what is it about stainless steel cutlery these days? I bought a nice set of stainless steel cutlery years ago (good grief, it must be 35 years ago) from Oneida’s Community line. Paul Revere, a nice plain pattern. We had a mix of silver which needed to be replated with time, and just got tossed out or donated instead (it was relatively inexpensive stuff, an old pattern you can find at antique shops, and silver wears off) and cheap stainless that got tossed when damaged. About 15 years ago I was given a nice set of stainless steel cutlery, so that was very convenient. I actually considered buying a second set and tossing the other bits and pieces, but it was a bit pricey, so I didn’t.

Recently I’ve been noticing a couple of knives have taken on an odd sheen after being washed in the dishwasher, and spots of rust, yes rust, on a few spoons and forks. Stainless steel is not supposed to rust. My Paul Revere stuff has also not been washing well, the spoons get a stain in the bowl of the spoon, but hey, they’re 35 years old. As it happens, I received an Oneida set as a promotional gift a year ago, which I set aside, and finally decided to pull out all the other stuff and replace them with this new Oneida stainless steel. Two washings in the dishwasher and two pieces, a fork and a spoon, emerged with rust spots on them! Bloody hell. Again, stainless steel is not supposed to rust. I’m really cheesed off.

I guess the cutlery is from the lowest line from Oneida, not the Community line, and made in Vietnam. Everybody tries to compete by manufacturing cheaply overseas, but rust after two washes? Come on, Oneida! The box says they’ll replace any faulty pieces “with proof of purchase”. I feel like sending them to Oneida telling them where I got them and how cheesed off I am, even if they don’t send me replacements.

I have cheap IKEA cutlery (although that set claims to be stainless steel as well) and I have the same issue with dishwashing. I always thought it was because it’s such a cheap set. Maybe it’s the dishwasher capsules... god only knows what’s in those things. Or just high temp water? I usually wash dishes on a 65C cycle which is the middle setting. 

@Ormond it’s not your frustration I “hearted”, I’m sorry about that and this... rather shameless student. But you teach the most interesting things :drunk: 

6 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

There are many grades of stainless steel. When you go shopping for cutlery, take a magnet. If it sticks to the stainless, give that one a pass. Better quality stainless is non magnetic. 

On 12/7/2020 at 3:59 AM, RhaenysBee said:

Does anybody ever overthink gift giving to the same extent I do? 

I had no idea what to give to my father, then while browsing for anything hunting related, I stumbled upon a catalogue from a world hunting exhibition from 1971. Okay, but what good is 1971, I thought. It should be from the year he was born or some other somehow significant year. Of course it turned out that there wasn’t a world exhibition for hunting every damn year in this pea sized country, so I had to give up on that. But it inspired me to search for more antique hunting related publications. And then I found this collection of hunting magazine from 1934, he is subscribed to the modern version of this magazine and like 5 years ago he was actually happy to receive a yearly subscription of it from my mother. I thought this was quite cool because the book collects all 36 issues from 1934 and the editor (and possibly founder of this magazine) is a well known and accomplished explorer/writer/scientist (I could go on) so I just felt like I would love to receive this thing even though I’ve got nothing to do with hunting. And then I spiraled into the perfectionism again. Why 1934, why can’t it be 1920 or 1921 and then it’d be a century old and of course I can’t find a 20 or 21 edition of this thing and now I’m second guessing it it makes any sense to get this collection from a random year. Conclusion: I’m an idiot. 

Get that full 36 collection from 1934, he'll love that. No more over thinking stick to that idea.

On 12/8/2020 at 12:26 PM, RhaenysBee said:

Well I followed my emotion and ordered a collection of 1926 issues because I think it’s cool and I’d be happy to receive it. AI is painfully overrated then again I’m only a dumb user with virtually zero tech aptitude. 

Oh my, how sweet you are! Thank you! To be honest, I don’t necessarily mind if nobody’s listening, I usually post for my own entertainment/emotional incontinence. But it’s definitely nice to know that someone out there enjoys my brain dumps or at least, you know, isn’t annoyed by them. Thank you very much for your feedback.

Oops...

Oh wells im sure this year will be greatly enjoyed just the same.

It's the nostalgia aspect that people love, won't matter if it's 30, 60 or 90 years, it's bound to leave that impression.

3 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Oops...

Oh wells im sure this year will be greatly enjoyed just the same.

It's the nostalgia aspect that people love, won't matter if it's 30, 60 or 90 years, it's bound to leave that impression.

It really doesn’t, and I’m glad I let go of the perfectionism before it was too late to order either. (Still went for the one that turns 100 the soonest, because I can’t help myself though:leaving:

I feel you all need to know that my new Harry Potter socks are far worse quality than my beloved Primark Harry Potter socks. Yes it is possible to produce worse quality clothing items than Primark. I was surprised too. Now this is just another reason why we badly need to eradicate coronavirus and travel again. The whole reason I had to buy these shit socks in the first place was that I couldn’t go to the UK and buy the usual Primark Harry Potter socks. I must say I am quite worried they won’t last till the pandemic is over and we can travel again. I may even be forced to source further producers of Harry Potter socks. But who knows what quality those will be? Troubling. 

Tis the season and per usual, there are a ton of ads directed towards men to buy sexy pajamas for their GFs and wives. Does any woman actually want these things? Whenever I see the ads I automatically think of The Simpsons episode where Homer buys Marge a bowling ball for her birthday with his name on it.

On 12/16/2020 at 9:52 PM, RhaenysBee said:

I feel you all need to know that my new Harry Potter socks are far worse quality than my beloved Primark Harry Potter socks. Yes it is possible to produce worse quality clothing items than Primark. I was surprised too. Now this is just another reason why we badly need to eradicate coronavirus and travel again. The whole reason I had to buy these shit socks in the first place was that I couldn’t go to the UK and buy the usual Primark Harry Potter socks. I must say I am quite worried they won’t last till the pandemic is over and we can travel again. I may even be forced to source further producers of Harry Potter socks. But who knows what quality those will be? Troubling. 

Or you could just settle for non-Harry Potter socks?

On 12/17/2020 at 4:32 PM, Tywin et al. said:

Tis the season and per usual, there are a ton of ads directed towards men to buy sexy pajamas for their GFs and wives. Does any woman actually want these things? Whenever I see the ads I automatically think of The Simpsons episode where Homer buys Marge a bowling ball for her birthday with his name on it.

I think it really depends on the item itself. I doubt that anybody wants tacky red polyester with faux fur trim. But there is tasteful, good quality lingerie, which can most certainly make a very nice gift if that’s something that fits the couple and their relationship. I’d say the rule of thumb is that if you (as in a general you representing any man out to purchase sexy pyjamas) don’t instinctively know your partner’s taste of nightwear or lingerie and have to extensively think and stress about it, then probably gift them something else. 

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

Or you could just settle for non-Harry Potter socks?

What sort of blasphemous suggestion is that? Nope, in times of covid, Harry Potter socks are the max amount of magic I can find In my life, absolutely not settling for less. :lol: 

3 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

What sort of blasphemous suggestion is that? Nope, in times of covid, Harry Potter socks are the max amount of magic I can find In my life, absolutely not settling for less. :lol: 

I actually went looking for Harry Potter socks on Amazon after I saw your original post. I need more socks like I need a hole in the head. Fortunately I wasn’t impressed by any of them.

20 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I actually went looking for Harry Potter socks on Amazon after I saw your original post. I need more socks like I need a hole in the head. Fortunately I wasn’t impressed by any of them.

I find black socks and beige socks are the way to go. Depending on what you’re wearing. 

Archived