Football: New Season, but same old Messi at Barca and elsewhere.

A Horse Named Stranger

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Jota's great and a good depth signing  but as far as a Sarr alternative goes, he does prefer to play on the other side so I'm not sure it's an either or for Liverpool.

I don't think it really matters as far as Liverpool are concerned since Mane's pretty comfortable on both sides. Either you rest Mane and play Jota on the left or rest Salah and play Mane on the right with Jota on the left.

53 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Are there any teams in the Bundesliga that even have a chance against Bayern?

There are a couple of teams that can push them in individual matches and beat them - Gladbach, Dortmund, Leipzig, maybe Hoffenheim or Frankfurt on a good day (Last season I'd have included Leverkusen, but no idea how good they'll be this season after the rather big turnover in their squad). Over the course of a season very unlikely. That would take a total stinker of a season for them. FWIW, former Bayern and Liverpool player turned pundit Hamann thinks Bayern will suffer a dip in form come November [no season break whatsoever for them, and that will take its toll on them].

Schalke on the other hand, who look like relegation battlers this year, when they try to take the game to Bayern, and then put in such a half arsed performance, well, then stuff like today happens. There'll be a couple of other teams, who will suffer the same fate. Almost reminded me of the Guardiola era, where most teams seemed quite happy, if they didn't get mauled by three or more goals.

Or as former Bremen defender Prödl put it: Playing at Bayern is like an appointment at the dentist. It can hurt a lot, but on other days it can be fine.

22 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

How does fantasy even work for soccer? Goals, assists and goal keeping on paper could make sense, but after that? 

Goals (whcih defenders and midfielders get more points for than forwards) yeah, assists, clean sheets (four per CS for defenders and goalies, one for midfielders), and appearance points (1 point for appearing at all, another for lasting 60 minutes). There's also a slightly obtuse bonus points system where players collect BPS over a match via the main metrics but also tackles, successful passes, key passes, blocks etc and the top 3 performers in any given match get 3, 2 and 1 bonus points respectively. 

Yahoo used to run an opta-fed league ages ago which straight up awarded points for all the metrics in detail and that was class, but it folded aaaaaaaaaaages ago and all the current ones are much simpler. Some do allow, though you have to pay in the one I play so we don't, tackle-and-block based extra points (the Kante rule).

We've always used the Telegraph's points for our league, which is-

2 points for a start, 1 for a sub appearance.

Goals are worth 5 points, and assists 3. Clean sheets (defenders and keepers only) get you 5 points for >60min players, and 2 points for <60min. Keepers also get 5 points for saving a penalty.

Then there are the deductions: the first goal conceded leaves the defenders on 2, with each following goal removing a point.

Negative points for cards (yellow -1, red -3), own goals (-3) and penalty misses (-2) too.

I remember one poor bugger lost a game from a winning position one year when, his team in a leading position against his opponent, one of his strikers took a penalty against his keeper. The striker hit the post (missed penalty deduction), which then hit the keeper and went in (own goal, no clean sheet). Haha!

35 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

but also tackles, successful passes, key passes, blocks etc and the top 3 performers in any given match get 3, 2 and 1 bonus points respectively. 

This is where I figured it would get trickier. As a noob I don't even know how you'd consistently score those aspects of the game. 

41m fee for Jota (up to 45m with add-ons) seems really steep.  Before I start bleating about Werner again, it seems like we conceded here on total fee because Wolves accepted a long spread of payments over time.  It’s basically like a financing charge on top of the regular fee.

Of all our purchases in recent years, only Ox felt like we didn’t get good value.  His injury history and contract situation should have meant a lower price.  And perhaps Keita’s injury record since joining meant he hasn’t been good value yet (yet!), but his fee looked appropriate when we paid it.

I’m hoping that Jota proves to be like Mane and Salah: looked a bit inconsistent at their prior club but with bags of potential for Klopp to develop.

Archived