Football: The fall of mighty teams in silent stadiums

A Horse Named Stranger

4 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

I'm not seeing how McTominay would do a better job defensively than Lindelof. He'd certainly chop them down more efficiently, but that's probably not a good idea either.

He's faster, stronger, and better at taking covering positions. Obviously a question mark if he can replicate those positions at CB- it wouldn't be the first time he played there but clearly not his preferred role- but Lindelof's haplessness in the face of any kind of physicality, which includes speed, up against Neymar and Mbappe gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Hopefully AWB can at least keep their left flank at least a little under control, but he'll need to be on point and probably abandon his newfound attacking enthusiasm.

European Premier League: Talks take place over new £4.6bn tournament
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54621189

Talks have taken place over the creation of a new £4.6bn European Premier League, involving the top sides from across the continent.

Sources told the BBC that discussions are still at an early stage but the plan would involve replacing the Champions League with a new format.

Industry insiders confirmed talks involved Wall Street bank JP Morgan.

But the project is said to still have a "long way to go" and the deal "may not happen".

Reports suggest five Premier League clubs, including champions Liverpool and Manchester United, have been approached by those behind the plan with more than a dozen teams from England, France, Germany, Italy and Spain in negotiations about becoming founder members of the competition.

It has also been reported that the European Premier League would see 18 sides compete in a single league with the top sides taking part in a play-off to determine an overall winner and that world governing body Fifa is involved.

This super league nonsense comes up every couple of years. Nothing came of it then and I doubt anything comes of it now. There are just too many hurdles -  fan outrage as well as major opposition from the respective football associations, governments and UEFA.

On 10/19/2020 at 7:30 PM, Wilbur said:

Just watched the Merseyside Derby, and I can't believe the VAR review of the Pickford incident.

The VAR guy spent that entire time looking at the offside call?  That is like the city citing me for unmown grass in the yard after my house burns down.  Who is looking at these videos, and have they ever actually played a single game?

Personally, I can see how he got obsessed over a detail (offside or not) and lost sight over the bigger picture (the horrendous tackle). Small revelation on my part, I am a sucker for that Canadian Mayday/Aircraft Investigation TV show (laugh all you like, it's my guilty pleasure, and fucking awesome). Why am I telling this? I recall there they reconstructed a crash, in which an entire cockpit crew obsessed over troubleshooting a potential landing gear problem (was the gear down, malfunctinioning light), that they effectively ran out of fuel and crashed. The kicker, the gear was down and locked, so it was perfectly fine to land - while they still had fuel. The point is, I can kinda see how that happened to the VAR, however the onfield referee had a clear view on the challenge, he at the very least could'Ve checked the challenge again in the review area.

On 10/19/2020 at 6:02 PM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

No major issue, does that mean it's a minor issue?? :P Matip will be out soon again, this is Sturridge 2.0 all over again.

January transfer window can't come soon enough.

Matip had been out for a while, so his body not being used to the intensity and acting up a bit is to be expected. So it could indeed be very little, and him just needing a bit to get back to the fitness of playing regularly again. However, I said it before, not signing another CB was playing with fire, esp. given the fitness record of both Gomez and Matip. Having that said, and after Soylent's rant and the accuracy of his predictions... let's be ready to see Matip play 40 odd games this season.

On 10/19/2020 at 6:58 PM, Consigliere said:

I doubt your lot are planning on signing a CB in Jan. I suspect Liverpool are planning a transfer for Upamecano whose release clause of €50m becomes active at the end of the season. A long term signing good enough to be a starter is preferable to a stop-gap January signing. Of course, Liverpool may be forced into a January signing if Matip or Gomez go down for a while as well.

I thinkthey'll renew their interest in Kabak (Schalke). Upamecano would come with a very hefty price tag. Kabak would be a good and cheaper alternative, esp. if Schalke are not anywhere close to fighting for a European spot, and they really need funds.

Edit: Talking about losing sight of something. I almost forgot what I wanted to post here.

Football and Covid. Gnabry's tested positive. Entire Bayern squad to be tested tomorrow.

AZ Alkmaar has no less than 13 positives among their players, but their scheduled game against Napoli on Thursday is sitll supposed to take place. Make of that what you will.

Solskjaer got his tactics bang on it has to be said. Stiffled them to start, then when they started giving up space in midfield to chase the game, brought on Pogba and started countering more aggressively. Attacking-wise we weren't even that sharp, could have had more clear chances from the breaks we got, but defensively and tactically it was a great performance. 

Tuanzebe was a mountain and I really hope he's not as injury prone going forward as he has been so far in his career.

Expected a few more crosses from Telles though. The few corner kicks he took were interesting though, good to have someone who can deliver a good in-swinger from there.

Delightful from Rashford, without this goal his game would've actually been 3 at best.

Tuanzebe was indeed solid, hopefully we aren't back with Maguire-Lindelof or Lindelof-Bailly on Saturday...

9 minutes ago, Ser Glendon Fireball said:

Expected a few more crosses from Telles though. The few corner kicks he took were interesting though, good to have someone who can deliver a good in-swinger from there.

Tbf both fullbacks were in defensive mode more than attacking. Especially in the time Telles was on, it wasn't till Pogba came on that both sides got a bit more ammo. 

AWB and Fred were on point too btw.

According to the match stats, Telles created 3 chances which was more than any other player during the 60 odd minutes that he played. Not bad considering that we were mostly on the defensive during his time on the pitch. 

I hope Tuanzebe is given a chance and can stay fit. He's got good composure, can play out from the back and is properly quick too. I remember him having an excellent season on loan at Villa in 2018/2019 before he got injured. Him and Mings had formed a rock solid partnership. He recovered and went back to Villa to complete the season and was a key player in their promotion. The past year was horrid for him injury wise with him suffering two long-term injuries. 

The sample size is too small still, but what were the odds preseason that Everton and AV would be atop the table?

They offered 500-1 odds that when Suarez returned from his four month ban, he'd bite a Barca teammate which would trigger a global zombie apocalypses back in 2014. Kind of funny because didn't Lester City get the biggest odds ever at winning the EPL at like 5,000-1, and it payed? 

Archived