Covid-19 #20: Nowhere to Hide

Fragile Bird

1 hour ago, kairparavel said:

What does any of this have to do with immediate need? Who the fuck are you to determine need from your 30 000 miles in the sky view of strangers? Choices were made, are made everyday in this country. How often do we hear about people being one emergency expense from disaster? No expects to be in this current timeline. No one considers the possibility of a global pandemic when purchasing a car or home. The people you consider to be in appropriate vehicles and clothing in the food lines, are you following them to make sure they live in appropriately rundown homes as well?

I don't think you've wrapped your head around the idea of just how many people have been completely fucked over by an indifferent government and corporate greed to go with economic hardship in so many industries these past nine months. Lost jobs. Lost benefits. Lost family members. And all the while the bills haven't stopped. 

JFC. 

I stopped at the bloded, because I cite this all the time. 

2 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I know people who live at home with their parents who drive 40 grand cars. My car is worth less than my watch, my TV and our daughters travel system. Some people give shit about cars, some dont. No correlation to wealth or income. 

Or need in time of disaster. 

1 minute ago, BigFatCoward said:

I know people who live at home with their parents who drive 40 grand cars. My car is worth less than my watch, my TV and our daughters travel system. Some people give shit about cars, some dont. No correlation to wealth or income. 

But if you have a 40k car and need free food to survive, sell your car. 

Also, what kind of watch?

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

But if you have a 40k car and need free food to survive, sell your car. 

Also, what kind of watch?

If your car is on finance in the UK (as many are) it's really difficult to sell without a stiff financial penalty usually.  

https://images.app.goo.gl/rdCrKZk9L2DoZc8k6

It's the most I could justify spending when there is still a chance it could get fucked up if I had to fight with someone at work. I've already decided the watch I want when I retire which is worth about 10 times this one. But if I'm working for 35 years for a decent pension I'm going to treat myself. 

7 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

If your car is on finance in the UK (as many are) it's really difficult to sell without a stiff financial penalty usually.  

But you know that going into it. Do buy something you can't afford, and by afford I mean discard without consequence. 

I dig it. When I'm not wearing my tech watch I rock this. 

9 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Most newer cars are upside-down on their finance, you know this.

Why buy a new car?

9 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I always buy my cars new and then drive them until the wheels fall off. I’d still be driving the 2013 Honda Civic if I hadn’t given it to Pumpkin, and he’d still be driving the 2002 Honda Civic if he hadn’t accidentally totaled it.

With a new car, I have the warranty period and absolutely know the maintenance, since I have total control over that.

You do realize a new car is one of the worst investments, right?

8 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

We need a Who Deserves Help in a Crisis Thread, it seems.  

No, everyone needs help in a crisis, but are you not put off by people rolling up in fancy cars for handouts while people who are actually dirt poor go hungry? 

25 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

But you know that going into it. Do buy something you can't afford, and by afford I mean discard without consequence. 

Not really an option for a lot of people. 

Last car I got on finance my options were A) Get a car on finance or B Lose my job and end up homeless. 

Fairly common scenario for people to need cars ASAP for whatever reason but not have the savings for it. 

5 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

Not really an option for a lot of people. 

Last car I got on finance my options were A) Get a car on finance or B Lose my job and end up homeless. 

Fairly common scenario for people to need cars ASAP for whatever reason but not have the savings for it. 

But in that situation, did you buy a car that was less than three years old?

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

No, everyone needs help in a crisis, but are you not put off by people rolling up in fancy cars for handouts while people who are actually dirt poor go hungry? 

I locked in a pretty decent rate on a new-ish car in January, a solid investment in my career and a better mpg for my regular commute.  I now absolutely would not need this car as I have to work from home, and best of fuckin’ luck selling a car right now for anywhere near what it is worth (thanks pandemic).  A lot of people probably need their car, and are in situations where they would lose money by selling them or be in a worse position to be employed (like having a reliable car to get to work).

I could be put off that the people who are going to the food bank aren’t wearing burlap sacks, or that the appearance of their hair indicates they might have access to styling gel and not the soot/grime combo the poors are supposed to have.  But i’m not, because I don’t buy into that “welfare queen”/“panhandling millionaire” nonsense.

35 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You sound like the NoDak woman who is no longer my friend bitching righteously about single moms with cell phones and no job.  How in hell was she to get a job without a cell phone?  I am sick unto vomiting of people who talk like such frackin' ignorance, lack of compassion, and lack of understanding of anything outside their own precious superior virtuous selves, whose lives are had lots of help along the way including not being born into poverty.

It's exactly like "I'm not a racist, I can't be a racist, I don't wear a white sheet and hood and burn crosses, but those people they bring it on themselves."

Balderfrackin'dashwhitesupremacist.

11 minutes ago, VigoTheCarpathian said:

I locked in a pretty decent rate on a new-ish car in January, a solid investment in my career and a better mpg for my regular commute.  I now absolutely would not need this car as I have to work from home, and best of fuckin’ luck selling a car right now for anywhere near what it is worth (thanks pandemic).  A lot of people probably need their car, and are in situations where they would lose money by selling them or be in a worse position to be employed (like having a reliable car to get to work).

Need a car =/= need their car.

I could be put off that the people who are going to the food bank aren’t wearing burlap sacks, or that the appearance of their hair indicates they might have access to styling gel and not the soot/grime combo the poors are supposed to have.  But i’m not, because I don’t buy into that “welfare queen”/“panhandling millionaire” nonsense.

Nor do I.

11 minutes ago, Zorral said:

You sound like the NoDak woman who is no longer my friend bitching righteously about single moms with cell phones and no job.  How in hell was she to get a job without a cell phone?  I am sick unto vomiting of people who talk like such frackin' ignorance, lack of compassion, and lack of understanding of anything outside their own precious superior virtuous selves, whose lives are had lots of help along the way including not being born into poverty.

It's exactly like "I'm not a racist, I can't be a racist, I don't wear a white sheet and hood and burn crosses, but those people they bring it on themselves."

Balderfrackin'dashwhitesupremacist.

By applying online or in person?

Also, given that I'm Jewish, I really appreciate the KKK comparison. 

45 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Need a car =/= need their car.

Nor do I.

#1.   I think I took issue with the ease that you imply anyone can change their circumstances and get $ out of their vehicle.  There are so many valid reasons why a person may be driving a nice-looking and/or new vehicle, and not be “gaming the system”, which is what your comments seemed to imply.

#2. I equate the car thing directly with clothes, both in utility, functionality, and appearance - as well as how easy it is to convert them to cash.  I guess I would take note of some person in a 3-piece suit in a breadline, but it would be more of “geez, that must be difficult” rather than “sell your vest for some soup, jackhole”.

Is there some kind of “must be this poor to ride” metric that people need to meet to request aid, or is there a different perspective that I missed with your comments?

Fuck this austerity theater bullshit. This is the same garbage argument that says poor people should never own anything vaguely nice ever. Or ever buy a steak. 

There are 20 million people getting unemploymebt benefits right now, and others who arent getting anything but need it. Of all the fucking days to shame people in need from getting what they need you pick Thanksgiving?

37 minutes ago, VigoTheCarpathian said:

#1.   I think I took issue with the ease that you imply anyone can change their circumstances and get $ out of their vehicle.  There are so many valid reasons why a person may be driving a nice-looking and/or new vehicle, and not be “gaming the system”, which is what your comments seemed to imply.

Then you didn't read what I wrote. 

Is there some kind of “must be this poor to ride” metric that people need to meet to request aid, or is there a different perspective that I missed with your comments?

Nope, just help those that need it most first. 

4 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

I did not but still had to spend enough to reliable enough to get to work every day. 

Which is fine and reasonable. My argument, again from the start, was seeing people with fancy cars picking up free food when clearly others needed it more.

15 minutes ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

Fuck this austerity theater bullshit. This is the same garbage argument that says poor people should never own anything vaguely nice ever. Or ever buy a steak. 

Um, no it's not. It's not even remotely comparable. 

There are 20 million people getting unemploymebt benefits right now, and others who arent getting anything but need it. Of all the fucking days to shame people in need from getting what they need you pick Thanksgiving?

I'm specifically shaming those who don't need it and are grifting. I've said repeatedly those really in need should go to the front of the line. Is this hard?

Archived