Covid-19 #20: Nowhere to Hide

Fragile Bird

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Which is fine and reasonable. My argument, again from the start, was seeing people with fancy cars picking up free food when clearly others needed it more.

Um, no it's not. It's not even remotely comparable. 

I'm specifically shaming those who don't need it and are grifting. I've said repeatedly those really in need should go to the front of the line. Is this hard?

And how the fuck are you remotely a good arbiter of who needs food? 

You're shaming people who apparently have the gall to not have sold everything they own before they go get food so they get stuck in a lifetime of desperation. Fuck this so hard, especially on Thanksgiving. 

Don't fucking shame people who need food. 

38 minutes ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

And how the fuck are you remotely a good arbiter of who needs food? 

You're shaming people who apparently have the gall to not have sold everything they own before they go get food so they get stuck in a lifetime of desperation. Fuck this so hard, especially on Thanksgiving. 

Don't fucking shame people who need food. 

Because I've volunteered at a number of food shelves over the years? And everyone looks at people funny who come in asking for help dressed in nice clothes with a new car? 

It's important to point this out on Thanksgiving. There are people who are deeply in need. We should do as much as we can to help them. But taking what you don't need because you're selfish is not something to defend, Kal. 

2 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I have no idea why this quote is showing up the way it is.

Tywin - do you really think there are so many people who would be so shameless as to take something meant for the poor?

I can’t think that people would face the shame of having to take charity unless they really needed it.

Yes. Lots of people game the system. That, however, does not justify ending the system. It will always be that way, and those that take advantage of it should feel shame, but no one who is truly in need should ever feel shame in asking for and accepting help. 

16 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Because I've volunteered at a number of food shelves over the years? And everyone looks at people funny who come in asking for help dressed in nice clothes with a new car? 

It's important to point this out on Thanksgiving. There are people who are deeply in need. We should do as much as we can to help them. But taking what you don't need because you're selfish is not something to defend, Kal. 

Maybe you should try taking a nap. Your reasoning in this thread can only be explained as someone near exhaustion and not at full faculty.

5 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Maybe you should try taking a nap. Your reasoning in this thread can only be explained as someone near exhaustion and not at full faculty.

If that's what constitutes looking out for the most needy, sure, I'm exhausted. 

That's how BIL likes to recreate! Giving orders and pretending to kill, rape and plunder.  A true trumpist, all right.

~~~~~~~~

As of yesterday, according to the ND papers, one in ten of ND's population is positive for Covid-19.

~~~~~~~~~

Holiday season starts under pall of more than 100,000 new Covid-19 cases. And 20 states did not report numbers on Thanksgiving Day

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/27/health/us-coronavirus-friday/index.html

3 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

My father casually talks about how he always gets the hanging suicides and never the gunshots. Except for the one time. This was how I found out that a good friend from high school had shot herself in a shelter belt.

Frontline medical workers, especially former Army doctors, like my dad, often seem to have something missing, emotionally.

Seem being the most important word in this sentence.

There's a stigma involved with seeking help. A worry that complaining could damage your career.

There are a lot of professions where taking any kind of psychoactive substance could ding you, even if it’s legally prescribed antidepressants.

more towards the topic, my hat is off to medical people. I couldn’t do it. I am not a nervous nelly. I am very good at outward stoicism and I’ve been in my fair share of scary situations that go beyond what a normal person might experience without pissing my pants - but I am the biggest fucking baby in the world when it comes to medical shit.

I fucking hate it. I hate the Dr. I hate the dentist. I hate web MD. I hate the nurse at CVS. They can all go to hell. 

Despite the fact that I am a rational and functional human being, I can’t ever get over the idea that when I go to the Dr - this is where I find out I’m fucking dying. They are going to have catastrophic news for me.

I know in my rational mind that I’m almost certainly fine. I’m youngish and active, but something about getting checked out for sure and examined sets me on edge. I hate it and I only do it regularly because I have dependents. I used to do it all the time because it was a job requirement and I did get used to it, but now that it’s kind of just my own personal sense of responsibility that makes me do it - god, I fucking hate it.

SJohn I'm right with you with that. My attitude is you go to the Dr to get sick and the best way to stay healthy is to avoid them as much as possible.

I also hold a resentment that our employer forces the wellness program on us or we lose the discount on our insurance coverage and then to top it off all the wellness program bs is on our personal time. If it's so damn important to the company then I feel like it should be on their time not mine. I don't even want to do it!

But then they have you over the barrel of you will have more expensive insurance unless you participate in the b.s. program. Grrrrrrrr it never used to be like this I feel like employees are getting more and more shafted as the years roll by. We're be desensitized to how much crapola we will take.

Anyhow sorry for rant previous, more on topic we have this-

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/28/us/oregon-mink-farm-covid-19-outbreak-coronavirus-trnd/index.html

So far the covid outbreaks to mink have been in Michigan, Wisconsin, Utah and now this latest large one in Oregon which the article is highlighting.

I knew it was a matter of time before we"d be hearing about the similar outbreaks on our farms after it was being reported in Denmark and the Netherlands.

10 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Fauci is warning the U.S. to look to the new infection numbers we see in the 2nd/third week in December. That time period will likely reflect a "surge within a surge" from all the reckless holiday travel we are experiencing, Fauci says.

And the 3rd hill was finally looking like it would level off. (Infections, not deaths)

Just got done watching another Dr John Campbell Youtube video where he looks at a recent summary document put out by the US Dept of Homeland Security. One interesting aspect of the summary is that the difference in transmissibility of children cf adults is not definitively known, presumed to be lower but not known how much lower. Though the summary does say that asymptomatic children have a very low infectivity.

Another interesting bit of information is that the estimated infectious dose is between 10 and 1000 viral particles. I don't really know the general infectivity of viruses, especially those transmitted by air / droplets, but this is a much lower infectious dose than some diseases (e.g. most salmonella requires a 1 million bacteria infectious dose).

Here is a table I quickly found for infectious dose of seasonal 'flu, quite varied some in the 10s, others in the 10s of millions. https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Calculated-or-actual-infectious-doses-of-influenza-virus-from-studies-on-human-volunteers_tbl1_227225392

I learned today that my employer is a piece of shit.

Public Health declared a serious outbreak at my work's sister company, with 62 cases going back to November 10th. Also learned there was another outbreak in late May through July.

And did we get any sort of notice? Memo? Nope.

Meanwhile we have senior staff going back and forth (they bought us out and now most of our senior management are their employees), including their owner who never wears PPE in the plant, let alone a fucking mask. We also supply each other, so here are shipments going back and forth all the time.

Our outbreak among our field staff a few weeks ago now has an obvious cause, as they were over there for work.

Time to bunker down again.

39 minutes ago, Lord of Oop North said:

I learned today that my employer is a piece of shit.

Public Health declared a serious outbreak at my work's sister company, with 62 cases going back to November 10th. Also learned there was another outbreak in late May through July.

And did we get any sort of notice? Memo? Nope.

Meanwhile we have senior staff going back and forth (they bought us out and now most of our senior management are their employees), including their owner who never wears PPE in the plant, let alone a fucking mask. We also supply each other, so here are shipments going back and forth all the time.

Our outbreak among our field staff a few weeks ago now has an obvious cause, as they were over there for work.

Time to bunker down again.

Damn it, I’m sorry to read this. Stay safe.

There’s a Canadian television program called The Nature of Things, now in it’s 60th season, that you might see in your country. The most recent episode is a documentary on what exactly happened on the Diamond Princess cruise ship in February. The episode is Season 60, Episode 5, The Covid Ship. I haven’t looked yet, it might be on You Tube. Damn, that was scary for everyone involved.

Things are looking a bit better here in Austria when you look at the number of positive test results and test positivity rate is also falling after hitting more than 50% in some areas two weeks ago. The number of deaths per day is still rising though. None of the positive people I know personally got an official quarantine order as the system has been overwhelmed in densely populated areas and all of them were told to contact people they had contact on their own because the contact tracing system has been overwhelmed too.

Things could be worse and I hope that xmas does not ruin the progress.

Much anxiety here the hospitals will be overwhelmed as they are in multiple states -- and in multiple states have been for weeks, some for months as in South Texas.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/new-york-elections-government/ny-cuomo-covid-nyc-schools-microclusters-20201130-7doe5sl6l5cqnoi6ob3uttdafi-story.html

Gov. Cuomo unveiled a revamped strategy to deal with New York’s surging coronavirus cases on Monday with a focus on avoiding an overwhelmed health care system.

More than 3,500 people are currently hospitalized with COVID-19 in the state, a growing number that the governor warned could lead to renewed shutdowns on a scale not seen since the spring....

Real Estate and Christmas Tree merchants and street vendors and etc. are screaming this is not possible.

And -- Holy Cow, look at this!  The race is too stupid to survive.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/30/spain-appeals-for-covid-common-sense-after-weekend-crowd-scenes

And, here, of course, Birx says if one traveled on the Thanksgiving holiday days, you have encountered someone who was infect.  Not maybe, not probably, but you have encountered someone infected.  This doesn't mean necessarily you will get infected yourself, but the more of them you encountered the more likely it is.  Better get tested, she says.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/thanksgiving-covid-deborah-birx-testing-face-the-nation/

Archived