The Mandalorian

RumHam

54 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Great so now they're back to milking OT characters... 

Spoiler

Yep, my thought too. It was as if the creative team realised they had fallen into the trap of suggesting that the galaxy might be quite a big place with lots of characters having their own fun adventures without any close ties to the OT, and immediately panicked and threw in Boba then Luke. 

And the digital de-aging stuff just isn't good enough. It doesn't leave enough room for fluidity and spontaneity - contrast how Luke was in this episode with Pedro Pascal doing some amazing, intense work in his few moments without a helmet. Also they've recreated Luke's OT look, which might be correct inside the show's timeline, but looks really weird on 21st century show. 

Luke: Yes, the Empire was a time of great suffering and repression. I have kept my 1980s hair and make-up as an everlasting memorial of the pain. 

8 minutes ago, dog-days said:
  Hide contents

Also they've recreated Luke's OT look, which might be correct inside the show's timeline, but looks really weird on 21st century show. 

It's also a little weird that he's exactly the same six years after Jedi.

34 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Reveal hidden contents

I'm relieved it was Luke, but they can definitely pull Windu out whenever. Maybe in the Bad Batch show and then kill him off there well before the rebellion properly starts. I'm pretty sure the only person who fell to their death and stayed dead in Star Wars was Han and even he popped back to say hi somehow despite not being a Jedi. 

Force lightning doesn't seem very deadly, btw.  As I recall he was still visibly alive with an "oh shit" face as he fell.

When else have people expected Windu to pop up? I don't remember anyone talking about him possibly showing up in the sequel movies.

2 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:
  Hide contents

Jedi masters do not simply fall to their deaths. :p

They do when their heart, lungs, and scrotum are on fire. 

12 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

They do when their heart, lungs, and scrotum are on fire. 

I mean yes, he should have been too burnt out to grab onto anything and survive. But Maul should have been too cut in half. It's sorta a "Schrodinger's guy who fell to his death" situation. Until they bring him back or show his corpse they always have the option of revealing he's alive. 

Which again is not something I'm rooting for, just something I expected because I really did not think they'd go with Luke.

Great episode. 

Not exactly a "mountain of Stormtroopers" as I predicted but it was a hell of a lot of storm troopers. and before anyone gets spikey about not using a spoiler tag, I mean, c'mon.

"Freeze! Drop your weapons"

Spoiler

Just fucking shoot them you idiots! 

"Oh Yeah!", they must have thought. "Now's our time to shine! FOR THE EMPIRE!!!" Literally no one is afraid of you clowns.

Of course,

Spoiler

R2-D2 is going to show up. If Luke shows up in an X Wing, R2 is going to be there.

They still have some work to do,

Spoiler

With the CGI face hoo ha. This wasn't much better than Tarkin in Rogue 1. Deepfakes seem to be more convincing. Also Kurt Russel in GotG Vol 2 was pretty good.

Cara Dune

Spoiler

Rocked that episode. I don't think we've seen a guy get shot point blank in the face in SW before (for the kids).

Was she "swearing" in the elevator about her gun?

You know the Empire are evil bastards when:

Spoiler

They have infant sized wrist binders. I mean, damn.

The "last weak link",

Spoiler

in the dark trooper design was the human inside it? No shit pal. Look at the stock you're drawing from.

2 hours ago, RumHam said:
  Hide contents

I mean yes, he should have been too burnt out to grab onto anything and survive. But Maul should have been too cut in half. It's sorta a "Schrodinger's guy who fell to his death" situation. Until they bring him back or show his corpse they always have the option of revealing he's alive. 

Which again is not something I'm rooting for, just something I expected because I really did not think they'd go with Luke.

Oh my god, Mace Windu is fucking deeeaaaaad! All the post Revenge of the Sith canon where he didn't show up to save the day; He's not recovering from the force lightning; he's not resting; he's not waiting for the right moment to reveal himself. He's not. He's just not.

Although... 

23 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Oh my god, Mace Windu is fucking deeeaaaaad! All the post Revenge of the Sith canon where he didn't show up to save the day; He's not recovering from the force lightning; he's not resting; he's not waiting for the right moment to reveal himself. He's not. He's just not.

Although... 

Uh, I don't think anyone is arguing that he's definitely still alive or writing Mace Windu fan fiction about what he's been up to. I'm just saying he's dead until they decide he's not and bring him back. 

32 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Uh, I don't think anyone is arguing that he's definitely still alive or writing Mace Windu fan fiction about what he's been up to. I'm just saying he's dead until they decide he's not and bring him back. 

I'm just saying he's dead until they decide he's not and bring him back

Fixed.

That was so good. Such an awesome series.

Spoiler

This was kinda like Luke’s version of the Vader corridor of death from Rogue One, a character from the OT who gets a way more awesome scene than any they had in the OT. It’s nice to remember that Jedi are supposed to be so fucking badass, that even with a platoon of Dark Troopers it’s still “ah not to worry, a Jedi turned up. We’ll be fine.” I’m glad they had the balls to write out Grogu, it just couldn’t be reasonably stretched out that Mando would keep him with him when his line of work is so dangerous.

Also, is there still scope for some plot revolving around his blood? Or is that just hinting at the cloning technology, for Palpatine’s ability to clone force wielders?

But yea, on the de-aging ... why have I seen better deepfakes on YouTube like, 2 years ago? I thought by now it’d be practically uncanny. Is it possible (huge caveat: I know jack shit about this) that it’d look way better if you recast, and then deepfaked Hamill’s face? As opposed to actually getting Hamill and de-aging?

Spoiler

The first 25 minutes of that was incredibly corny.

And then I stopped breathing for like 2 minutes, I shed a tear, I gasped, and I shed two more.

Luke. R2 n Grogu. Damn.

I've watched maybe 100 minutes of this season, all told, but I'm extremely grateful for those last 10. That was cool. 

4 hours ago, Gertrude said:
Spoiler

There was no pressing reason for him to do so now (unlike last episode), so this was truly a choice he made for the sole benefit of him and Grogu.

Spoiler

That's a good point, but I still think it woulda landed better if him "truly making a choice" was the first time he did it.  In fact, his conversation with Burr about crossing lines woulda been just as good if not better a setup for that.  I also think proximity had something to do with it.  If that instance was separated by, like three or four different episodes, this probably wouldn't have been on my mind as much while watching.

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:
Spoiler

They have infant sized wrist binders. I mean, damn.

Spoiler

I mean, I'm not a parent - and there's a lot of good reasons for that and this is definitely one of them - but I'd think infant sized wrist binders would be quite marketable for the general public.  Like those leashes some people have when the go to Disneyworld.

59 minutes ago, Leap said:
Spoiler

I have some sympathy for the "don't milk the OT" crowd, but at the same time...I haven't felt that excitement since Rogue One, or maybe since TFA trailer. It was just kinda awesome.

18 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:
Spoiler

This was kinda like Luke’s version of the Vader corridor of death from Rogue One, a character from the OT who gets a way more awesome scene than any they had in the OT.

Spoiler

Exactly what I was about to say.  Vader's scene in Rogue One and Luke's scene are BY FAR the best scenes we've gotten since the PT and arguably the OT.  It's the stuff that nerd dreams are made of.  I really don't anticipate Luke being any type of featured character in this or any other show, so I definitely don't mind him serving as the Jedi Master Ex Machina every once in awhile.  That's how you should milk the OT characters.

On the de-aging stuff, I dunno.  It's not something I care too much about, but I have to agree both this and Leia in Rogue One seemed really off.  And I'm one of those weirdos that thought Tarkin looked fine in Rogue One.  It does seem very curious that not only was it clearly better with Jackson in Captain Marvel, but I'd say even Stewart and McKellen looked better in Last Stand, which came out 14 years ago or a year after ROTS.

Maybe part of it is because Luke and Leia are so iconic and ingrained in my (and everybody else's) head.  I dunno, like I said, I don't really care and the "quality of CGI" is decidedly not my thing.  I'm the guy that didn't mind having a SD TV in my bedroom up until less than two years ago.

8 hours ago, DMC said:
  Hide contents

Well shit!  That was awesome.  And pretty conclusive.  Not sure where you go from here, everything else seems kinda banal in comparison.  Not sure how I feel about things going forward...

After just watching Rebels, that Bo-Katan needs to win the darksaber is pretty stupid if that show's canon.  Sabine just gave it to her the first time and Sabine didn't win it either she just found it.  If they're setting up some type of conflict between Din and Bo-Katan based on the fact he defeated Gideon I'm really not a fan of that premise.

Also, obviously it would've interrupted the emotional quality of the scene, but you'd think Dune - as employed by the New Republic - would be like, "hey, here's one of the most wanted guys in the galaxy, do you wanna take him into custody?"

Taking off the mask to say goodbye was great but seems like poor planning to have him do it for the first time in the previous episode.  That moment woulda landed better if it was the first time.

In terms of the post-credit scene, I like how that rando dude from the OT apparently took over for Jabba.  Not sure how interested I am in Boba taking over a criminal empire though.

Spoiler

Show Bib Fortuna a little respect, please - I was a proud owner of his toy. And in the Star Wars universe, being a toy is hitting the big time!

I really enjoyed it, though I think it could have been even better if it had a few ice spiders in it. I liked the after-credits scene too, as much for the location as anything else.

5 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Can I officially cast my vote for a spoiler thread next season. I mean look at @DMC ‘s post.

I see this kinda semi-frequently around here where people complain about the use of spoiler boxes and I just don't get it? Personally I don't give a shit if I see spoilers or not, but some people do and it's literally one button to avoid fucking up someone's day, it's hardly arduous.

Archived