Tree decorating - Spring 2021 edition

Buckwheat

So we've had the annual Christmas/New-Year's/December holiday of your choice tree-decorating games for some years now, but the ingeniuos @Pebble thats Stubby had a revolutionary idea a few days ago that this game may be extended into other seasons and holidays as well. Therefore (and also because nobody seems to want to commit to hosting and playing a complete pictionary right now), I present to you the first spring edition of the tree-decorating game - the tree is fully in bloom already and just waiting for your decorations!

So let's combine Valentine's Day (which my calender in fact tells me, is today, so happy V-day to you, I suppose), Carnival, Easter, International Women's Day, Mother's Day, International Workers' Day, and whatever else you are celebrating in the spring and contribute your decorations to a nice picture we make together.

For those who have forgotten the rules, and for the new people who don't know what in seven hells I'm on about, the rules I'm shamelessly stealing from past-me:

The rules

1. This is the template for our tree. I stole it from here and pasted it into Paint and now I see it is not nicely centered, but I cannot be bothered enough to fix it, so I'll just pretend it's intentional to give you more space to add stuff on the right side.

2. The first player to play downloads the template from the imgur link I posted under 1. Every next player downloads the picture the player before them posted.

3. Open the picture in Paint, Photoshop or any other picture editing program. Draw decorations on it: You can add colour, an ornament, background, presents ... whatever you like and whatever you think suits our tree.

4. Save the new picture (in the jpg-format) and upload it to imgur.com. Post a direct link to the picture into this thread.

5. The next person repeats the process adding decorations to your picture etc. You can play as many times as you want.

Some reasonable guidelines about picture standards

a) Do not change the size of the picture.

b ) Do not add explicitly sexual or violent material. I want this game to stay completely safe for children and work and common decency and stuff.

c) Try not to cover the whole tree with decorations in the first few steps, some space must be left for the next players too.

č) Do not cover/erase other people's contributions.

d) Pasting parts of other pictures/photos into this picture is allowed.

e) Using imagination is welcome.

Be creative, have fun, stay covid-safe and enjoy the spring as much as you can! :commie: I am looking forward to any and all contributions.

2 minutes ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

Can I join?

Sure! Everybody is welcome. :) 

ETA: If you are not completely sure how to contribute, you can check the link in my signature "Christmas tree" for inspiration. :) 

Oh this is most novel! 
when you mentioned drawing and game in tttne I thought you guys were planning a new Pictionary. That’s how thorough I am when I skim through content, sorry about that. Yeah, I’ll be happy to add something to this tree as soon as I have a decent idea. Thanks for thinking of me again. 

3 hours ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

Yes, like this! You can play as many times as you want. :) 

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

Oh this is most novel! 
when you mentioned drawing and game in tttne I thought you guys were planning a new Pictionary. That’s how thorough I am when I skim through content, sorry about that. Yeah, I’ll be happy to add something to this tree as soon as I have a decent idea. Thanks for thinking of me again. 

We did also mention a pictionary, but nobody seems to be interested in hosting now, so maybe this is a better low-commitment choice now.

It is the Carnival on Tuesday, and there isn't one without a kurent. :commie: <- Yes, the commie emoticon is now a kurent, deal with it.

For those unsure of what this strange and terrifying creature (a traditional Carnival mask in a part of Slo) does, it is basically this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks3csz6MGkE&t=6s

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

I have never heard of pancake day.

Thank you both for your contributions! I love both the pancake and the clown. Happy Carnival!

Pancake day = is the day before lent.  Traditionally when cooks would use up the naughty foods they can't have during lent in the times when we did not have fridges and freezers.  thus people made pancakes.

In the UK pancake day is more celebrated than Easter itself (unless you count giving of chocolate eggs)

12 hours ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

Pancake day = is the day before lent.  Traditionally when cooks would use up the naughty foods they can't have during lent in the times when we did not have fridges and freezers.  thus people made pancakes.

This is also part of what Carnival is about, actually. Only we don't do pancakes, we do a form of doughnut (we call it krof) fried in oil, usually filled with apricot filling (I don't like the apricot filling, so I usually opt for alternatives like vanilla cream).

Only we add the whole pagan "driving the winter away by scary masks" note to it.

Hmm I never had any idea about why we have put on fancy dresses and masks for carnival or why in particular we eat carnival donuts. But yes it makes sense. The scary mask and fur cloak thing belongs to one particular settlement here I think. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it anywhere but in textbooks and pictures. Anyway, it all makes sense now. 

Well since Bucky mentioned Pagans driving away winter thing.  I give you Morris dancers.

Oh and some land and sky.

BTW  I hate non solid colour basic pictures for these games.   I will gradually tidy up the edges as I add more stuff.  other people feel free to do that as well.

IMGUR is down at the moment (for new pictures).  so will upload in an hour or two 

12 hours ago, Count Balerion said:

we called it Fastnacht's Day and made Fastnacht's ccakes which were kind of donutty.

i suppose i should put something in for washington's birthday, even though i'm on the british side.

erk. i made him look like a GIRL.

https://imgur.com/a/mdWemeS

That was supposed to be Washington?    btw you do know the green and blue backgrounds are now a solid colour?  that means its easy to paint fill whole shapes.  I'm amused your "Washington" has some kind of green-pox plague.   

I'm also amused that this spring tree is taking a much more optimistic tone than the Xmas one.  well until the Greenpox that is.

Archived