A Gardening Thread

Mlle. Zabzie

^^^^MMMMMM get out the dipping chips!

My apples are finally a nice red and sweet as well so of course im taking those.

Im relieved everything survived this summers draught, it was pretty severe for a few months. Did way more watering than I ever have had to bother with.

Neighbor lost a small row of pines because he thought i was "waisting my time and they dont need it",  mine I watered are fine, his didnt come back after the draught.

I cant just let something wither like that.

My commute to work goes by several miles of pathetic, waiste high corn stalks with absolutely no ears to harvest.

Not certain if this is from the draught as well or its some sort of 2nd planting that they just make a sileage from for livestock?

If memory serves right i didnt notice any first crop, i think they just had a super crapola crop, but im no farmer, this is just general musing over the summers growing season through like 2 months without rain. Those that could irrigate were fine, same extrapolated for us backyard gardeners.

We harvested our apples and pears during the last three weeks, unfortunately all the plums have terribly suffered from the draught, so there was nothing there. And the same for elderberry. But our pears were glorious, big, sweet and plenty of them. The apples were 50/50 - the old trees (60 years and older) did still get some water; especially our old Boskoop had huge, but not very many, apples. The others had many, but small apples

The biggest part of the apple and pear harvest went into our mincer and from there to the juice squeezer. From the juice I made a batch of apple must and a batch of perry and a batch of juice for the kids. The perry was a bit lacking on the acid, of which the apple must had plenty, so after 10 days, I made a 50/50 blend of the two. Which tastes so good, that I'm afraid it won't even last until christmas.

The rest went into pear jam and jelly, apple purée, dried apples, pear compote and other stuff, which will (hopefully) last us until the end of next spring.

• 2 months later...

So my Corona lockdown induced idiocy goes into the next round.

After my two chestnut plants died this year, possibly because I put them too early into a large pot that didn't get enough sun, I collected last month a bunch more and planted them and one of them has already sprouted. Will keep that one closely guarded on the window sill and will see how that one fares. I also... collected all kinds of random other seeds while I was at it and an acorn has also sprouted. XD I will see whether an oak tree is easier to raise at home than a chestnut...

Meanwhile some of my peppers have now died after two years, though some are still stubbornly clinging to life. Admittedly, cutting down on heating because of that whole war going on two flight hours away has probably also played a part in that. Some of the smaller orange plants have been dying, too. Though some of the bigger ones now also developed thorns. Never knew they had those, but... well, you never stop learning I guess.

The two pomegranates are still alive, but still look remarkably delicate. Why don't they turn more shrub-like? I also had experimented with planting ginger and potatoes. The ginger grew into a nice tall plant, but unfortunately didn't develop any nodules. The potato turned into one single 4 meter long snake like monstrosity strangling everything on the dinner table before it suddenly died. With only one tiny mini potato being able to get harvested. I replanted that one as well... and it also turned into a similar snake plant. Damn you, Mark Watney, you lied to me! Potatoes suck as indoor crops!

One of my other experiments had been mango. The first mango seed turned into a truly magnificient plant, but unfortunately all the ones after that had turned out oddly decrepit. Only a few died, but the others seem always to be just on the verge of dying and that's really frustrating to watch. I fear it has something to do with the bad light situation in winter. My mother also brought physalis seeds and a banana plant and... things went crazy. A couple of the physalis plants are strangling and overshadowing the avocado plant (though others look rather miserably), meanwhile the banana... turned into a massive tree-like monstrosity I have no space for anywhere... it also keeps churning out shoots like crazy, which I have also planted and which also quickly grow similarly well, with one of them also already growing more shoots.

On 12/11/2022 at 11:27 AM, Toth said:

So my Corona lockdown induced idiocy goes into the next round.

After my two chestnut plants died this year, possibly because I put them too early into a large pot that didn't get enough sun, I collected last month a bunch more and planted them and one of them has already sprouted. Will keep that one closely guarded on the window sill and will see how that one fares. I also... collected all kinds of random other seeds while I was at it and an acorn has also sprouted. XD I will see whether an oak tree is easier to raise at home than a chestnut...

Meanwhile some of my peppers have now died after two years, though some are still stubbornly clinging to life. Admittedly, cutting down on heating because of that whole war going on two flight hours away has probably also played a part in that. Some of the smaller orange plants have been dying, too. Though some of the bigger ones now also developed thorns. Never knew they had those, but... well, you never stop learning I guess.

The two pomegranates are still alive, but still look remarkably delicate. Why don't they turn more shrub-like? I also had experimented with planting ginger and potatoes. The ginger grew into a nice tall plant, but unfortunately didn't develop any nodules. The potato turned into one single 4 meter long snake like monstrosity strangling everything on the dinner table before it suddenly died. With only one tiny mini potato being able to get harvested. I replanted that one as well... and it also turned into a similar snake plant. Damn you, Mark Watney, you lied to me! Potatoes suck as indoor crops!

One of my other experiments had been mango. The first mango seed turned into a truly magnificient plant, but unfortunately all the ones after that had turned out oddly decrepit. Only a few died, but the others seem always to be just on the verge of dying and that's really frustrating to watch. I fear it has something to do with the bad light situation in winter. My mother also brought physalis seeds and a banana plant and... things went crazy. A couple of the physalis plants are strangling and overshadowing the avocado plant (though others look rather miserably), meanwhile the banana... turned into a massive tree-like monstrosity I have no space for anywhere... it also keeps churning out shoots like crazy, which I have also planted and which also quickly grow similarly well, with one of them also already growing more shoots.

Well, depending on the kinda of banana plant, but 1.5-2 m in height should be it. So that'd be still within room plant measurements (at least that's what google says). Curious, I somehow always assumed that bananas grow on giant trees.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Well, depending on the kinda of banana plant, but 1.5-2 m in height should be it. So that'd be still within room plant measurements (at least that's what google says). Curious, I somehow always assumed that bananas grow on giant trees.

Does everything have to be big for you Horse?

18 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

The issue isn't exactly height yet (the avocado is notably taller), but rather width. Each of the leaves is bigger than my head and it looks quite uncomfortably squeezed against the window if I place it on the bathroom window sill. Unfortunately any other place would have not enough light and humidity for its liking.

3 hours ago, Toth said:

The issue isn't exactly height yet (the avocado is notably taller), but rather width. Each of the leaves is bigger than my head and it looks quite uncomfortably squeezed against the window if I place it on the bathroom window sill. Unfortunately any other place would have not enough light and humidity for its liking.

There are people who grow bananas here in Canada, but yes they are huge and need a lot of room. Some kind of greenhouse would be ideal. I am quite impressed that you managed so well.