A Gardening Thread

Mlle. Zabzie

7 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I’d be potentially up for outdoors.  But I’m a lazy gardener…

I currently have (anemic) strawberries - would like to do better.  The plants are a few years old and have never really flourished where I have them so I was toying with digging them out and starting over in a different bed.

I put in tomatoes every year (but only do cherry/grape types) and get a bonanza, squash (both gourds and summer squash), okra, cucumbers.  I often put in shishito peppers.  I like putting in melons, spring peas and beans of some variety.  I have had poor luck with root crops. 

My big pest issues are rodents (freaking evil bunnies) and squash bugs.  I have seen cut worm and cabbage worm (when I do broccoli/cauliflower/brussels sprouts).  Depending on the year I have issues with aphids/powdery mildew though I have an (organic) system for that now.  I have had black spot and mosaic issues (had to dig out soil and refill - ugh).  

I am currently, most definitely *not* sending a van to your address with two burly men, some rope, and about four or five Lazyscrog prototypes.

Edited by Spockydog

8 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

They cut down oak trees??  Those M-Frs.  

Yeah, it's really bad here in the town at the moment. There is a central festival grounds where they also cut down all the trees a few months ago for no reason whatsover. It's just a huge empty field with now a bunch of stumps at the edges. Meanwhile a "Kleingartensiedlung", a settlement of rented small garden plots people use in summer, was dissolved and the tenants ordered to cut down all the fruit trees they had there because that's the law (which somehow stands in conflict with another law banning private people from cutting down trees without a permit). And in the next town over they had pruned the trees surrounding the roads so badly during the winter that some of them died. I really have no clue what the city administration is thinking.

11 hours ago, Toth said:

Yeah, it's really bad here in the town at the moment. There is a central festival grounds where they also cut down all the trees a few months ago for no reason whatsover. It's just a huge empty field with now a bunch of stumps at the edges. Meanwhile a "Kleingartensiedlung", a settlement of rented small garden plots people use in summer, was dissolved and the tenants ordered to cut down all the fruit trees they had there because that's the law (which somehow stands in conflict with another law banning private people from cutting down trees without a permit). And in the next town over they had pruned the trees surrounding the roads so badly during the winter that some of them died. I really have no clue what the city administration is thinking.

You need to get involved in the politics of your area.  Public service is the duty of every citizen.  We can't complain about what others do in positions of power unless we're willing to step up and do the work and make our voices heard.  

I know it's way out of your comfort zone, but it's exactly what you need.

There.  I hath spoken   :P 

20 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

You need to get involved in the politics of your area.  Public service is the duty of every citizen.  We can't complain about what others do in positions of power unless we're willing to step up and do the work and make our voices heard.  

I know it's way out of your comfort zone, but it's exactly what you need.

There.  I hath spoken   :P 

I... kinda already am. At least in a monetary way. My party is working hard to combat this and the part about the torn down garden plots I got from that neighborhood walk with my party. Unfortunately the day also told me that it's... extremely daunting to network even with people from my own party. And thus I don't have any means to help. It also doesn't help that most of my knowledge and interests are in national politics and about the local politics I don't really know much about and frankly don't care about most of it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2024 at 9:17 PM, Spockydog said:

I am currently, most definitely *not* sending a van to your address with two burly men, some rope, and about four or five Lazyscrog prototypes.

Feel like the biggest issue will be customs given that I live in the (former) colonies…

But I’ll be in London in a couple of weeks :)

i have a small apple and pear tree which don't really flourish as under our topsoil is mainly clay, i was going to repot them into 60cm cube planters.  When is the best time of year to do this, its freezing at the minute so i assume 'not now'?

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

i have a small apple and pear tree which don't really flourish as under our topsoil is mainly clay, i was going to repot them into 60cm cube planters.  When is the best time of year to do this, its freezing at the minute so i assume 'not now'?

About now I think, and definitely before they start beginning to grow leaves. Just not while it is literally freezing. The trick is to preserve their root balls intact and to do the transfer with the soil still round them.

We have just transplanted a sapling ourselves that had self seeded in an entirely unsuitable place. We had expected it not to last, but after it had survived for several years and had reached almost 5 foot high reaching upwards for some light I felt it deserved a chance. We have moved it to a friend's field. and will see how it does there.

Trying to get myself moving and getting some seeds started.  At first it'll just be cilantro, wide-leaf parsley, spinach, peas, lettuce and maybe some zinnias.  March is when the seeding really starts in earnest.

The bastards have cut down another tree at a bus stop nearby. I was so aghast, I picked up another acorn. I guess I'm starting to grow a tree farm now...

However so far I didn't have too much success with acorn yet, unfortunately. One of them died, the soil was unfortunately too wet. The other is still having a root, but growing slowly. I had A LOT more success with the maple seed I planted. It already turned into a fairly strong looking seedling.

14 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Dont do it, its a shithole. 

Do not listen to this man. He has been exposed to London's fetid underbelly for far too long.

Best city in the world.

ETA: Having said that, Brighton is pretty cool. Lived there for two years in my twenties, and I'd forgotten how awesome the place is.

Edited by Spockydog