Sword of Shadows: Some Questions

Garlan the Gallant

11 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

I am wondering if there has been any updates posted for her Patreon readers on how things have progressed and if the book is close?

Some new samples were released recently, with regards to worldbuilding and various characters.

Spoiler

A huge amount of focus on Raif, and I'm wondering if she's been focusing on writing Raif almost separately from the rest of the cast, GRRM-style. If so I think he's nearly done, as she's been hinting at a massive gamechanging event for Raif at the end of the book, and it's partially written but she's not sure if it's been handled right and she might keep tinkering with it through the revision process. It's unclear how much work remains beyond Raif's story.

So not done yet, but definitely the feeling that it's quite close.

• 8 months later...

A quick question on this thread, I have read that her patron is supposed to be open/free to check out the updates, but I can’t figure it out without paying access. Have I missed something or understood the previous posts? 

And more importantly, any recent news here for her progress..? 

it’s not too long since I read the series, but it’s one of the better I’ve read so I’m seriously contemplating a full re-read, especially if there are signals that the final book is well on track when book 6 is released!

13 hours ago, Werthead said:

Sounds like there were some delays which stopped her from finishing this year, but it's quite close. She thinks it'll be done in early 2024.

Thanks, there is so much good stuff in these series, so really look forward to it! Fingers crossed..

I understood she has been struggling in her personal life (without knowing the what’s and whys) and that is the reason for the hold-up, so really glad that she is back on track on writing as it (most likely) indicates that she is also back on a good place personally as well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/18/2023 at 12:29 AM, Madame deVenoge said:

I think that there are some freebies on the Patreon, maybe, but the entry level is $2 per month. I was doing $2 per month but then I upped it to $10 because that is truly a pittance to help out an author whose work I have enjoyed over the years.

I enjoy the personal updates on her Patreon, as well - her dog is adorable. 

She recently posted an Ash chapter. 

Her old blog at jvj.com was fun to read as well, I know I checked it weekly for years.

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Jussi said:

Jones answered an Endlords question in her Patreon site last week:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/in-forge-on-edge-98429349

Have you come close to finishing the writing of this book yet?

Absolutely. It will be finished this year

So according to this it will likely be published in 2025.

Out of all the ridiculously delayed book series, looks like JVJ will beat GRRM, ROTHFUSS and LYNCH to the finish!

1 hour ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Out of all the ridiculously delayed book series, looks like JVJ will beat GRRM, ROTHFUSS and LYNCH to the finish!

Tbf, she was always likely to beat or equal Rothfuss. Every person writing something will beat or equal him.

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

It’s good Jones is back writing but isn’t this meant to be the penultimate book? There’s another one to go yet.

1 more dammit?? :P

Now that you mention it, I do remember way back reading something about that.

I think I read it on Wert's blog but not 100% sure.

Even so, she writes faster than the above mentioned dudes, so probably finishes the series before them all! ;)

ETA: I think she published 4 books from TSoS in 11-12 years. 

Edited by AncalagonTheBlack

On 2/27/2024 at 4:53 AM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

To be fair, we've also waited the longest for her (Watcher of the Dead came out in 2010, A Dance with Dragons and The Wise Man's Fear in 2011 and The Republic of Thieves in 2013). 

On 2/27/2024 at 11:53 AM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

1 more dammit?? :P

Now that you mention it, I do remember way back reading something about that.

I think I read it on Wert's blog but not 100% sure.

Even so, she writes faster than the above mentioned dudes, so probably finishes the series before them all! ;)

ETA: I think she published 4 books from TSoS in 11-12 years. 

The previous publication years for TSoS were 1999, 2002, 2007 and 2010. I remember the wait for A Sword from Red Ice feeling particularly interminable at the time, but obviously it feels like small-fry now.

JV Jones started her Patreon in 2017 and confirmed work on Endlords had begun in 2018, IIRC, so it's clearly been a while. But she's also noted her day-to-day life on her Patreon, which sounds fairly chaotic (and heavily dog-influenced).

Book 4 of The War Against the Chtorr by David Gerrold was published in 1993. We still await Books 5 and 6, which Gerrold has reportedly been working on simultaneously (a draft of 5 was apparently complete and circulated to beta readers in 2015).

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Book 4 of The War Against the Chtorr by David Gerrold was published in 1993. We still await Books 5 and 6, which Gerrold has reportedly been working on simultaneously (a draft of 5 was apparently complete and circulated to beta readers in 2015).

Wow, hadn't thought of those books in decades, still have the first 4 packed away somewhere.

10 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

So what's her 'excuse'? :P

I don't really know her reasons, but her situation does appear different from the outside to the famous examples. She published multiple books since the 2nd book in the trilogy, up to 2017, and even started and finished new series. But I am still waiting for the end to that trilogy.

• 2 weeks later...