UK Politics - You can't correct a mistake, if you don't admit it was a mistake

Which Tyler

As I understand it, the issue is not so much Hancock having an affair, or even him not socially distancing, but rather him giving a job in his department to someone he is having an affair with. Though given the shower of handouts to cronies that he has presided over, it is not the least bit surprising.

But when I saw this I laughed. At this point I think that he is simply trolling us. An excellent piece of performance art! (But unfortunately you can't get away from the deaths and economic damage that might have been avoided.)

I'm assuming that 1) no one involved in the making of The Crown googled "John Major" and 2) that Scarlett Johansson will shortly be announced in the role of Edwina Curry. Or Brad Pitt as David Mellor.

20 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I'm assuming that 1) no one involved in the making of The Crown googled "John Major" and 2) that Scarlett Johansson will shortly be announced in the role of Edwina Curry. Or Brad Pitt as David Mellor.

I mean I never saw Gillian Anderson playing Thatcher either ( still don’t really) 

17 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The start of a slippery slope for Matt Hancock as he tries to change his image.

Have we checked if it was Hancocks birthday?

You just know his affair is nowhere near as fun as Dexharts, I bet he hasn't actually even shagged her yet. 

4 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Who’s playing Gordon Brown - Rory Mccann?

Maybe Netflix can get value for money and get Prince Harry to play James Hewitt as part of his deal with them? :P

Sam Heughan would be more current.

4 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

As for "it's a conspiracy to make him jump" In normal ties, it would absolutely have a wiff of that; but these aren't normal times, and being utterly shameless and refusing to jump is an active requirement for cabinet currently - not to mention the numerous indiscretions of the man at the top.

Personally, I've never felt that the sex-lives of politicians should be held against them (assuming no corruption/cronyism, and no issues with consent). I see no particular reason to change my mind because I happen to dislike the politician in question. Hancock is an incompetent idiot, whether he's been screwing around or not.

1 hour ago, A wilding said:

As I understand it, the issue is not so much Hancock having an affair, or even him not socially distancing, but rather him giving a job in his department to someone he is having an affair with. Though given the shower of handouts to cronies that he has presided over, it is not the least bit surprising.

But when I saw this I laughed. At this point I think that he is simply trolling us. An excellent piece of performance art! (But unfortunately you can't get away from the deaths and economic damage that might have been avoided.)

So is that enough cronyism/ corruption to change your mind? Affairs and senior politicians being a thing should hardly be surprising or even career limiting. But it does appear corruption, cronyism and senior politicians being a thing is also not surprising or career limiting, as long as it doesn't get too out of hand.

38 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So is that enough cronyism/ corruption to change your mind? Affairs and senior politicians being a thing should hardly be surprising or even career limiting. But it does appear corruption, cronyism and senior politicians being a thing is also not surprising or career limiting, as long as it doesn't get too out of hand.

For me? yes.

For Johnson / this conservative party? not even a blip on the radar.

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

This government has shown itself to be utterly shameless in its bullying, favouritism, and corruption both on a large and small scale. There are too many examples of it to count. Their bold faced dismissals when examples hit the news is frankly scary - they are confident, as the rather horrifying phrase being bandied round has it, that "it is priced in" meaning that their supporters know perfectly well that this is how they behave, but go on voting for them anyway.

So what can you do but laugh, as Johnson says that he has accepted Hancock's apology, so that is the end of the matter.

25 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

What does it say about the alternative is the better question 

Or what does it say about the judgement and morality of people happy to support a bunch of evil, incompetent criminals?

Archived