Football: Pep talk needed

Iskaral Pust

In other news.

Manuel Gräfe is taking the German FA to court over Age Discrimination.

Small background. Referees are out of the top flight, once they hit the age of 47. Gräfe has hit that threshold now, and is thus being forced to retire, despite still being one of the best referees in Germany. And he is now trying to get rid off that pesky age limit to continue his career.

14 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

In other news.

Manuel Gräfe is taking the German FA to court over Age Discrimination.

Small background. Referees are out of the top flight, once they hit the age of 47. Gräfe has hit that threshold now, and is thus being forced to retire, despite still being one of the best referees in Germany. And he is now trying to get rid off that pesky age limit to continue his career.

What's the logic behind an age limit that low?

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yeah, I'm nearly 47, fuck that shit. 

Surely a fitness, eye and knowledge test would solve any age discrimination issues and make sure people were up to the job or not. 

13 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Well, for International games, FIFA has an age Limit of 45, I think. Exception for the Euros is Kuipers. The Euros in 2020 was supposed to be his big sent off, and UEFA and FIFA didn't want to rob him off that stage due to Corona. Given that he is 48 now, they're not adament about their limit as the German FA.

Anyway, point is a physical demands and b not clogging up the system for the next generation. If you have those old geezers still running on the pitch, that means, that younger refs can't be on the pitch.

Make of that you will.

33 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Well, for International games, FIFA has an age Limit of 45, I think. Exception for the Euros is Kuipers. The Euros in 2020 was supposed to be his big sent off, and UEFA and FIFA didn't want to rob him off that stage due to Corona. Given that he is 48 now, they're not adament about their limit as the German FA.

Anyway, point is a physical demands and b not clogging up the system for the next generation. If you have those old geezers still running on the pitch, that means, that younger refs can't be on the pitch.

Make of that you will.

I understand not wanting a ref who can no longer hold up athletically, but shouldn't that be what's judged rather than age?

Checking notes here.

Tywin

• 2018: Assigned England - Made Semis
  • 2020: Becomes full throated Chelsea fan - 2021 Winners of the CL
  • 2021: Assigned Denmark - On to the Semis

Mormont

• Two weeks ago: Kills Scotland
  • Last week: Kills France
  • Yesterday: Kills Belgium

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

I understand not wanting a ref who can no longer hold up athletically, but shouldn't that be what's judged rather than age?

It is tho. The refs have to take a physical to see whether they can still do it. It's done in the summer, before the start of the season. If they fail, they get a chance to redo it, but they are out of the loop until they pass it. The forced retirement age is just another condition they've to meet.

16 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Now that's how you get a red card:

A flying kick in the face is pretty much the only way Copa América getting any attention, due to the geniuses that thought it was a good idea to set it at the same time as the Euros. And that includes here in Brazil- ratings for the games have been very low, and the tournament is more mentioned in conversations when people complain about some of their best players not being available, as well as stadiums, since Brazilian football didn't stop. 

27 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

A flying kick in the face is pretty much the only way Copa América getting any attention, due to the geniuses that thought it was a good idea to set it at the same time as the Euros. And that includes here in Brazil- ratings for the games have been very low, and the tournament is more mentioned in conversations when people complain about some of their best players not being available, as well as stadiums, since Brazilian football didn't stop. 

Agreed. I have no idea why they decided to overlap the tournaments, or why they're playing it in Brazil at all. 

7 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

It's being played in Brazil because Bolsonaro doesn't care if people die. But the lining up with the Euros, no clue.

My general understanding is South Americans watch European football, but Europeans couldn't care less about the SA side. Hence their target market should be NA. Playing them at the same time while NA is watching the Euros is exceedingly dumb.

Also, is it still looking like shithead is going to lose the next election? I read your post about the flawed polling in Brazil, but it's hard to imagine anything is going to be favorable to him.

13 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

It is tho. The refs have to take a physical to see whether they can still do it. It's done in the summer, before the start of the season. If they fail, they get a chance to redo it, but they are out of the loop until they pass it. The forced retirement age is just another condition they've to meet.

I'm not sure how that disproves his point. They can't ref if they fail the physical sure but once they hit an arbitrary, fairly low, limit they can't ref even if they pass the physical comfortably. It's dumb. Remember when Collina had to retire when he was still the best ref in the world (admittedly they stretched the rules by extending it by a year for him and then immediately blew it by banning his sponsors and causing him to retire on principle anyway). 

1 minute ago, polishgenius said:

I'm not sure how that disproves his point. They can't ref if they fail the physical sure but once they hit an arbitrary, fairly low, limit they can't ref even if they pass the physical comfortably. It's dumb. Remember when Collina had to retire when he was still the best ref in the world (admittedly they stretched the rules by extending it by a year for him and then immediately blew it by banning his sponsors and causing him to retire on principle anyway). 

It wasn'T meant to disprove anything. Just as mere additional information, that the refs have to take physicals (plus a theoretical if I am not mistaken), too. I am not having a particularly strong opinion on the matter either way. With Gräfe it's really unfortunate since he is one of the best refs in German football. Not my not so important personal opinion, but rather the opinion voiced by the players. I think, it's noteworthy that unlike in the EPL the refs in Germany have regular jobs, so that is just a very well paid second job for them. Gräfe made around 100-120k € with his referee job last year. Gräfe doesn't think it's likely his case will impact his career (he would have liked to do one more year), but he thinks Aytekin who has  4 or 5 seasons left before gets dragged off the stage (by the current rules) might get to do that job a bit longer.

Fair nuff

In other news I gotta say for all my scepticism of Murtagh as DoP being a Glazer yes-man appointment, the outward signs are of a huge improvement. Sancho done early assuming he passes the medical, there doesn't appear to be too much faffing around with Varane (though we'll see how that plays), and the search for a DM seems to be considering various options instead of spending three months pretending we're gonna pay 100mil for Rice- the latest rumour being we're gonna take advantage of Inter's financial trouble to snaffle Brozovic. Not sure how credible but he seems like he'd fit very well. |

Also got the Cavani situation sorted quickly giving clarity on what positions we do need to focus on this summer.

Archived