Football: Pep talk needed

Iskaral Pust

Hakimi is a class wing-back but very dodgy defensively when playing in a back four. Wonder whether Poch will switch to a back three. I'd say Wijnaldum is an upgrade on all of PSG's midfielders except Verratti. Donnarumma is a great long-term signing - while Navas is still quality he's also 34. I also expect that Navas will lose his starting spot to Donnarumma next season anyway.

6 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Ramos to PSG official. That’s Wijnaldum, Hakimi, and Ramos. Plus Donnarumma on the way. What a window for them

Comes of being one of the few teams with money to spend and positions to upgrade.

On 7/7/2021 at 1:58 PM, Consigliere said:

The players did take a wage cut last season but apparently Barca's wage cap for the upcoming season is even lower (according to RAC1 their cap has apparently been reduced to around €160m for the upcoming season) so they are way over the cap. We'll have to wait and see how this plays out but I think it's safe to say that there is zero chance Barca can clear €200m off the wage bill - a club like Barca cannot operate on a €160m wage cap. That's less that what Everton pay out in wages.

Well, yeah, that is a problem. Esp. when you have likesay a Brazilian player on the books, for whom you paid a shitload of money, and who is collecting a heavy pay check and whom they apparently can't offload even if you demand a transfer fee of nothing. Griezmann is another high profile name they try offload. Those fantastic Bartomeu Marque signings.

Anyway, Bartomeu has really wrecked Barca properly. Ten years ago they could realistically hope that they could fill their ranks with La Masia players. But Bartomeu's La Masia 360 has also poisoned that well. It's still baffling that Barca fans have elected that nitwit that oversaw the downfall of their Basketball team (for which Laporta received some flak) as the proper guy to run the entire club. Yes, he got into the position after Rosell went to jail. But still, he was elected to the office after that.

54 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Well, yeah, that is a problem. Esp. when you have likesay a Brazilian player on the books, for whom you paid a shitload of money, and who is collecting a heavy pay check and whom they apparently can't offload even if you demand a transfer fee of nothing. Griezmann is another high profile name they try offload. Those fantastic Bartomeu Marque signings.

He's also a dipshit - https://www.scmp.com/sport/football/article/3139971/barcelonas-antoine-griezmann-racism-hot-water-over-second-asian-tour

Yeah, but there Dembele deserves at least as much flak as Griezmann (if ot more so). Dembele was the one of the duo that actually made those remarks on tape, if I am not mistaken. Anyway, Griezmann's and Dembele's racist Japan adventure is another story for another day, this was more about Barca trying to free up some space under their salary cap and the disastrous reign of Bartomeu. There's probably still a (small) market for Griezmann. City is rumoredly interested. Of course Barca would've to sell at a price far below from what they paid a couple of years ago.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

There's probably still a (small) market for Griezmann. City is rumoredly interested. Of course Barca would've to sell at a price far below from what they paid a couple of years ago.

Griezmann will have to agree to take a significant pay cut too or Barca covering at least half his wages. I can't see City agreeing to pay him £800k/week.

17 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Griezmann will have to agree to take a significant pay cut too or Barca covering at least half his wages. I can't see City agreeing to pay him £800k/week.

It's 600k tho isn't it? But still who on earth was negotiating those sorta contracts? 600k/week is way beyond mere madness, whoever did that must have been driven by pure hate for Barca. Maybe let him go on a free so City can pay him a hefty signing fee. I mean that's 30m a year and he has 3 years left? So 90m in wages. If departs for free, City pay him a hefty signing fee up front - maybe even "mask it" as a sponsorship deal visit the Emirates or w/e.

1 minute ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

It's 600k tho isn't it? But still who on earth was negotiating those sorta contracts? 600k/week is way beyond mere madness, whoever did that must have been driven by pure hate for Barca. Maybe let him go on a free so City can pay him a hefty signing fee. I mean that's 30m a year and he has 3 years left? So 90m in wages. If departs for free, City pay him a hefty signing fee up front - maybe even "mask it" as a sponsorship deal visit the Emirates or w/e.

It's around €888k/week.

Even if they let him go an a free, City aren't paying Griezmann that much. He isn't good enough to be paid almost triple what KdB is earning and I don't see City fucking up their wage structure for Griezmann. Those rumours are rubbish.

16 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

It's around €888k/week.

Even if they let him go an a free, City aren't paying Griezmann that much. He isn't good enough to be paid almost triple what KdB is earning and I don't see City fucking up their wage structure for Griezmann. Those rumours are rubbish.

I think the 888k/w include the sponsorship deal(s) he just lost. That might explain discrepancy between those numbers. Either way it's absolute madness.

Personally I think Griezma is still a good player, who is simply a bad fit for Barcelona (so is arguably Coutinho, but there are bigger quesiton marks in order). Brainless big name signing. I think it's at least possible that he can rediscover form in a team that actually has a place for him. But yeah, he isn't worth de Bruyne money.

23 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I think the 888k/w include the sponsorship deal(s) he just lost. That might explain discrepancy between those numbers. Either way it's absolute madness.

Personally I think Griezma is still a good player, who is simply a bad fit for Barcelona (so is arguably Coutinho, but there are bigger quesiton marks in order). Brainless big name signing. I think it's at least possible that he can rediscover form in a team that actually has a place for him. But yeah, he isn't worth de Bruyne money.

Griezmann was on similar wages at Atleti too - reported to be €40m/year. So Barca had to pay him a ludicrous amount. It was just a terrible decision from Bartomeu to waste so much money on a player Barca didn't need. It ended up being great business for Atleti though - getting Griezmann's wages off the books + €120m transfer fee which they invested into giving Oblak a bumper new contract to bring him up to wage parity with what De Gea is earning as well as increase his release clause. And won the league title.

Also it's worth remembering that Messi is currently a free agent. Although an agreement has been reached with Barca, the club are going to find it very difficult to free up enough wages in order to register Messi's new contract. If there's a player you shatter your wage structure for, it's Messi and not Griezmann.

3 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Griezmann was on similar wages at Atleti too - reported to be €40m/year. So Barca had to pay him a ludicrous amount. It was just a terrible decision from Bartomeu to waste so much money on a player Barca didn't need. It ended up being great business for Atleti though - getting Griezmann's wages off the books + €120m transfer fee which they invested into giving Oblak a bumper new contract to bring him up to wage parity with what De Gea is earning as well as increase his release clause. And won the league title.

IIRC, then Griezmann took a wage cut by signing for Barca, but he had a sponsorship deal waiting for him once he completed the move to match his Atletico deal (or even exceed?). Anyway, the video of him and Dembele has cost him at least the Konami deal. So for now I'll work under the assumption that he is on that 30m p/a wages; at least as far as Barca are concerned. That's still overpaying him big time.

18 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Although an agreement has been reached with Barca, the club are going to find it very difficult to free up enough wages in order to register Messi's new contract.

I've seen some chat that there's a grace period post-lapse that a player re-signing still counts as a renewal not a new registration, so they can register him- not sure how true that is though. And even if it is it doesn't help them then free up the wages needed for the new new signings.  

Archived