Covid-19 #36: I am the Apples and the Oranges

Fragile Bird

17 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I havent kept track of approval ratings in a while, but I thought DeSantis took a hit in Florida on his COVID missteps.

He did but the comparison is not from the same firms and none are from exactly the most reliable firms.  I do think he's taking a hit - as do plenty of others, including Republicans - but it's tough to verify.

2 hours ago, kairparavel said:

DWS, as you can see from Kal's post Lollapalooza is not turning out to be a super-spreader event for the reasons listed. Just like BLM protests last summer did not lead to widespread events. There are bad ways to do things in our current environment (no precautions or protocols or fucks given) and there are better ways (vaccination requirements, testing protocols, masks). Was it a great idea to hold Lollapalooza? I'm not certain it was, but at the same time it's showing us how to responsibility manage things so people can eek out some sort of enjoyment in this ongoing nightmare. 

It almost feels as if things would have worked far better without the significant amount of people that had nothing better to do than to  undermine measures like mask mandates, regular testing, contact tracing and social distancing.

I have yet to meet a single person here in Austria who followed recommendations and got covid-19. Part of that is obviously luck but I know a lot of people who were not careful at all and got it.

I'm honestly confused as to what people are arguing at this point.  All I know is the people that go to Sturgis rallies are a bunch of fucking douchebags, regardless of covid.  I'm comfortable with that bigotry.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

I'm honestly confused as to what people are arguing at this point.  All I know is the people that go to Sturgis rallies are a bunch of fucking douchebags, regardless of covid.  I'm comfortable with that bigotry.

And what makes them douche bags?

Last summer Sturgis gathering spread covid far and wide when the numbers were falling -- just in time for the Sturgis spreader numbers to collide with seasonal change that turned both SD and North Dakota, and most of the middle states and a swathe of northern states into case and hospitalization and death spirals until deep into the winter, because of course these are the same people who wouldn't stay home for the holidays either -- and refused masking, and refused vaccination then, later.

This is all so easy to find with a simple google if somehow one managed to not notice while living in this country between August 2020 and April 2021.  Fer pete's sake.  Also these are the same people who think the government should be turned over to the shoggoths and their likes.  Look at the gub of SD fer pete's sake.

22 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

My 9-year old nephew lives in Nebraska, his mom works at Boy's Town University Hospital, and she's got him signed up to participate in the vaccine trials for kids.  I'll cross my fingers he's not getting the placebo, and gets it before the school year starts.

We took a serious look at getting our kids into the trials, but the one here in Wisconsin is being conducted in Madison and that's just slightly too far for convenience.  

But if the trial comes here, we'd look at it.  If they have issues getting people in Madison, we'll look at it again and make it work.

3 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

So yeah were experiencing the summer of stoopid with not only Sturgis but multiple idiot fests like the Deer District, Lollopolooza(sp), the Oshkosh Airfest and so on so forth.

Gotta get conditions primed for getting those unvaxxed kids back to school after all.

I fully expect to be reading about 250k daily cases by the holidays.

Oddly...I've been to all of those locations at some point (though only the Lolla location, I'd never go to something like that...).

The EAA air show in Oshkosh...if that was a super spreader event this year...I hadn't heard that...

So imagine this year's Sturgis positivity linking up with this:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/14/health/us-coronavirus-saturday/index.html

In no frackin' way is this living intelligently and successfully with covid.

"'This is starting to look really ominous in the South,' expert says, as US is among nations with highest rate of new Covid-19 cases"

The US remains among nations with the highest rate of new Covid-19 cases, driven mostly by a surge in the South, where many states are lagging in getting people vaccinated against the coronavirus.

"This is starting to look really ominous in the South. ... If you look at rates of transmission in Florida and Louisiana, they're actually probably the highest in the world," Dr. Peter Hotez, the dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine, told CNN's Anderson Cooper on Friday.
Infection rates began to plummet in the US in the spring as vaccines became widely available, while the seven-day moving average of daily confirmed cases climbed in other nations, including India and Brazil, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

In the month of August, the US has so far reported more than 1.5 million new cases of Covid-19, more than three times the numbers for Iran and India -- which now hold second and third place, JHU data shows. And the seven-day average has topped more than 135,000 cases, well ahead of other nations.

On a state-by-state comparison, Louisiana has the highest rate of new cases per capita, followed by Florida.
"That's how badly things have gotten out of hand. There is a screaming level of transmission across the southern states right now. And now we're starting to see this happening among younger age groups," Hotez said.

Florida on Friday broke its own record high in Covid-19 cases over the past week, reporting 151,415 new cases -- the most infections recorded during a seven-day period since the pandemic upended lives across the globe.

The surge has been fueled by the more contagious coronavirus Delta variant, overwhelming hospitals across the country.

New hospital admissions for Covid-19 among adults ages 30 to 39 have reached a record rate, according to CDC data.
The data show the rate of new hospitalizations reached 2.52 per 100,000 people on Wednesday among adults in their 30s.

Just a month earlier, on July 11, the rate of new hospital admissions of patients with Covid-19 in that age group was 0.64 per 100,000 people, according to the data.

In Louisiana, Gov. John Bel Edwards said hospitalizations hit a pandemic record high of at least 2,907 patients, up by six people from a day earlier.

"They're not just the highest that they've ever been. They're almost a third higher than at any other point in this pandemic. Our hospitals are struggling. Staff remains the limiting factor on capacity. Our staff at our hospitals, nurses and doctors and respiratory therapists and physician's assistants, you name it, they're maxed out," the governor said Friday.
Edwards said state hospital leaders are worried about the surges.

"I will tell you that I've never heard them express more concern, more alarm, or anxiety than they did this week, because we are rapidly approaching the breaking point," Edwards added.

And in Alabama, there is an alarming uptick of infants as well as teenagers hospitalized with Covid-19, according to Dr. David Kimberlin, the director of the Division of Pediatric Infectious Diseases at the University of Alabama in Birmingham.

"We're seeing a lot of children who are very, very sick admitted to our hospital. We have almost twice as many right now as we did at the previous worst part of this pandemic, which was probably in January," Kimberlin told CNN's Erin Burnett Friday.

"These children are coming in fighting for breath, fighting for the ability to basically get through this devastating illness, many of them are on ventilators, maybe a quarter or so on ventilators or heart-lung bypass machines," he said.

He added that as children return to classrooms, "it's critically important that everyone in schools masks, whether you're vaccinated or not."

"I think the most efficient way to do that is to have a mandate, to have a requirement ... that everybody needs to do so. And it saddens me that we seem to be fighting about the way we go about doing it. We all ought to -- and I want to believe that we do -- have our own children's best interest at heart. We got to do this for them."

14 minutes ago, gruff one said:

The  South Park episode was hilarious, but not real informative of biker culture and what it's about.

When I was in high school WCW used to hold a PPV there called "Road Wild."  I never went, but some friends did.  Like I said, I'm comfortable judging those people.

1 minute ago, gruff one said:

Where do you think the rally is held?

:rolleyes:

I get where you going here, and it's really dumb.  I think bikers are generally stupid and I think the Sturgis rally is really stupid.  I'm sorry if that offends you, but deal with it.

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

:rolleyes:

I get where you going here, and it's really dumb.  I think bikers are generally stupid and I think the Sturgis rally is really stupid.  I'm sorry if that offends you, but deal with it.

Spoken from true ignorance.

4 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Yeah, there is a responsible way to have fun; although it appears as if many rock and pop stars have canceled performances in the near future because they arent able to ensure the safety of their audiences (I think I saw Limp Bizkit of all bands doing that, still havent seen the doc about Woodstock 99 but it seem surprising coming from Durst. Stevie Nicks cancelled too)

I guess Durst has had 20 years of living with the knowledge he got a member of his audience killed. Maybe it actually hit him on some level.

On 8/12/2021 at 9:20 PM, L'oiseau français said:

Excuse me for sneering at your sneer. Canada wasn’t Italy, was never remotely close. Canada wasn’t the US either, but the restrictions every province had were far more stringent that 99% of what happened in the US, which is why Canada was never close to what happened in the US. No, it wasn’t China, it wasn’t Italy, but everything was closed except grocery stores and other food providers, yes, like take-out, and pharmacies and hospitals. The streets were empty and no one went to work.

Italy was the Canary in the coal mine. Canada and the US had warning.

On 8/12/2021 at 9:38 PM, Chataya de Fleury said:

Canada doesn’t have the population density of the US, which is why Canada happened the way it did. 

That's not it. North and South Dakota have lower population density than most of Canada and they're off the charts by Canadian standards.

On a Federal level, the response was better from day one. Trudeau was reasonably consistent with messaging. He never accused the political opposition of manufacturing a fake issue to attack him with it, or any other of the idiotic things Trump and his acolytes were saying in Q1 of 2020.

Regards comments on Lollapalooza, Oshkosh and Deer district or Sturgis, my example was general not specific and I used those events off the top of my head because they were all Midwest gatherings (my neck of the woods) I'm assuming country wide there have been multiple other events like Coachella(sp), Burning Man or Woodstock 5 or whatever.

The point wasn't to single out any one event and I'm sure some of these are being conducted(or nixxed) with greater caution than others (so far so good lolloplzo).

I'm saying there's too much complacency, too much nonchalance like we've put covid in our rear view. This is especially prevalent among far too many people I'm hearing spout their antivax b.s.(one who specifically attended that air show for instance) who are, out of pure luck not sick yet, but it's a matter of time I'm saying.

A matter of time till they too are either sick or asymptomatically spreading their virus at the next crowd gathering.

Yes eventually life has to get on I get that, but I'm going to avoid large crowds for the rest of this summer and make certain my recreation is out doors to the maximum possible.

Eta: Not to forget in many rural areas, County Fair season is kicking off. I'm sceptical that these are going to be healthy venues in our current situation.

Archived