Drunk Thread II: The Drunkening

mcbigski

A new book that should be right at home among us here --

A Short History of Drunkenness: How, Why, Where, and When Humankind Has Gotten Merry from the Stone Age to the Present (2023) by Mark Forsyth

:cheers:

Uh, and this one too:

Al Capone's Beer Wars: A Complete History of Organized Crime in Chicago during Prohibition (2017) by John J. Binder.

Edited by Zorral

On 5/24/2023 at 2:16 PM, Zorral said:

A new book that should be right at home among us here --

A Short History of Drunkenness: How, Why, Where, and When Humankind Has Gotten Merry from the Stone Age to the Present (2023) by Mark Forsyth

Well that sounds like a book club short list.  Thanks!

Happy Memorial weekend to my fellow Americans honoring those who sacrificed their lives so we can eat brats and drink cheap beer.

I had a 6'er of Leinie's summer shandy and am moving on to what's left at my parents' house, which is a decidedly un-Memorial weekend suited Cab sauv. 

Pairs perfectly with all the junk food. Anyone else having libations outside today? 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2023 at 12:43 PM, Zorral said:

Could an ancient, climate-friendly crop be the future of beer?
Pierre Thiam and Garrett Oliver are on a mission to introduce brewmasters to fonio, a small and mighty west African grain

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jul/06/fonio-beer-climate-friendly-grain

I'm willing to try it.  I don't like wheat beers at all, or rice alcohols mostly, but there's a lot of stuff I do like.

Anyway, my friend Rit was in town from Scotland so we got together with a bunch of us that have been friends since, checking the notes and the math, the late 70s.  He was arguably the best baseball player in Scotland 15 years or so ago.

Another friend who had a VHS camera in the early 90s shared a bunch of videos from when we were all still teenagers.  Nostalgia!  And toasts.

Edited by mcbigski

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So a lot of golf, and some wine, then more golf.  Oddly, the last 9 holes were far superior to the first 18.  Sinking 3 10 to 12 birdie putts on three of the last four holes did help for sure.  Then more wine, and the long migration home.

Got a tournament at 9 am and Barry and I are in the last flight, meaning we're in the bottom eighth for combined handicaps of all the entries.  But I'm playing better than my handicap lately, as it's dropping to a 19, which is almost bogey golf.  getting 18 or under is my goal for the year, and it's almost a lock, especially since I've been dropping while not driving well.  (And I think I've figured out my biggest leak there, bringing the club too high rather than bringing it behind, so the swing plane is causing a slice.  Anyway, fixed it on the range, still fucking it up on the tees though.)

The actual point being, I got home, opened the fridge and saw bleu cheese stuffed olives.  So dirty martini, obv.

• 1 month later...

The 11 year old has been talking for *months* about making the "Noble Pursuit" beverage from Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. Ingredients are "voltfruit,"  "hydromelon," "rock salt" and another weird name I can't recall atm. We think the real life equivalents are dragonfruit, watermelon, and coconut. Husband happened across a gallon of fruit drink at Costco labeled as Dragonfruit punch, so finally we had all the ingredients! (coconut water and  juice from sliced watermelon being more accessible.)

Sadly, my kid was disappointed in the flavor of his beverage, but did feel that it restored at least one heart and one stamina.

I can report that Noble Pursuit is much enhanced by either/both rum and vodka. My hearts are fully restored!

• 2 months later...

The brandy I bought today was 33 yuan which is a worryingly  low price in China but I didn't feel like going all the way up to the supermarket and the Baiju while reliable is still Baiju。So convivence story "brandy" it is. Fuck it it's exam season.

Well the fact that we haven't heard from Darzin in four days doesnt say a whole lot for convenience story Chinese brandy.  

Stopped by a store near the place we watched the Steelers/Ravens game, and they had a decent cab that's usually around $15 for $10, so I grabbed a few.  Not the cleanest after taste but pair it with cheese and no further complaints.

I survived but not doing that again the hangover was like getting hit by a truck.  My girlfriend's dad apparently loves this stuff so I'm giving him the rest of the bottle.