Cricket 42: The answer to life, the universe, and the inevitable English batting collapse

Xray the Enforcer

5 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Yeah, 22 off that Starc over doesn’t hurt. Great performance by Williamson.

I still really hate the cheerleading stadium announcers. Just shut up ffs!

Hazelwood probably not enjoying the replays of that dropped catch, it's been very expensive. 

I agree the announcer is infuriating. 

15 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Hazelwood probably not enjoying the replays of that dropped catch, it's been very expensive. 

He bounced back with two wickets in his fourth over to be fair.

Decent total for New Zealand after a slow start.

These 160-170 scores have routinely been chased down in this tournament…advantage Australia.

Actually I must say I don’t mind Finch as captain. So I prefer Australia’s limited overs team to the test side.

1 minute ago, ljkeane said:

He bounced back with two wickets in his fourth over to be fair.

Decent total for New Zealand after a slow start.

Hazelwood did have a good innings other than that, but he really should have completed that catch.

It does seem a good total for New Zealand, but Australia definitely capable of chasing it if they play well.

Yeah like I said, these scores have been routinely chased down. I don’t think Australia will have much trouble here.

And it’s the much-maligned Warner again coming up trumps. He has been very consistent in this tournament.

ETA: Cursed you Davey!

Who knows, if Australia had actually batted second at some point they might’ve been eliminated earlier.

One of the most toss-dependent tournaments/series I’ve ever seen. This World Cup gets a 2/10 from me.

Very comfortable in the end for Australia. I don't think many people were picking them to win coming into the tournament and probably even less were after they got pumped by England in the group stages but, credit to them, they've kept themselves in the running and taken their chances.

Yeah I think JL in particular deserves a lot of credit. He got Marsh up the order and went back to a largely test bowling attack (no Agar, no Richardson), which worked well for them.

And for them to win with Maxwell barely getting into second gear in the tournament is quite impressive.

I do think luck played a significant role with all the toss results, but it’s always going to take some luck to win a T20 tournament.

5 hours ago, The Winged Shadow said:

I wonder how the score would've changed if Kiwis won :P

Haha probably a 9.

Who knows, Australia might even be able to defend its title at home next year! We have another one of these to “look forward” to.

7 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Yeah, in the end a pretty straightforward win. It doesnt quite have the romance of the 1992 'corned tigers' campaign, but good on Australia for winning after a pretty average outing in the group stages. New Zealand, I dont know what to say.

They did just win the Test Championship so let's not feel too sorry for them! Personally I think that's a much better feather in their caps. 

But they do have a habit of coming second-best in these pyjama party tournaments. 

That T20 win for Australia seems to have moved the Ashes XI conversation into unforeseen territory. There’s a late push now to get Marsh into the team ahead of Green, with Harris opening and either Usman or Head at 5. Wade is also back in the frame for the number 5 spot, although I’d still expect to see either Khawaja or Head selected.

Unfortunately it’s highly unlikely we’ll see Pucovski in this Ashes due to his ongoing concussion issues.

Just straight awful stuff here about Yorkshire

Azeem Rafiq at DCMS select committee goes straight in about treatment of Asian players in Yorkshire dressing room: “Comments like 'you lot sit over there near the toilets', the word P**i was used constantly, no one ever stamped it out"

Rafiq: "The word 'Kevin' was something Gary [Ballance] used to describe anyone of colour, it was open secret in the England dressing room. It was used in a derogatory manner all the time.

Rafiq says he heard that England player Alex Hales, a good friend of Ballance's went on to name his dog Kevin as it was black.

On Hoggard

The comments from hoggy towards myself and other Asian players were constant ,on a daily basis and all day every day - we would  in the morning and he would say things like 'you lot sit oer there' and make us sit together He would also all us things like 'elephant washers' and 'paki'

Not to excuse Yorkshire at all, but I’m sure there are similar stories of discrimination, bullying and harassment in professional leagues across the UK, Australia, India, South Africa etc. You only need to look at the abuse Shami has copped from “fans” in the last couple of weeks. Then you have the Ollie Robinson tweets, the De Kock incident and the list goes on.

Cricket has a systemic problem with racism and it’s time to deal with it.

Archived