Tennis the 9th: Medical times out and teenage superstars

Which Tyler

4 minutes ago, mnedel said:

Well, I took a PCR test in Serbia last week. I just looked at my inbox and it was 25h between when I took the test and when I received the results by email. You can receive the results in several hours but usually it is around 24h. It depends on the time of day you take the test and how many other people are being tested in the country. I am also skeptical you can get a result in less than 2h. As a molecular biologist, I work with Real Time PCR all the time (not covid tests however) and we always do about 40 cycles per run for various analysis which takes around 1h 30 minutes for the machine to complete. Just checked the covid experimental protocol (I’m bored lol) and the run takes 75 minutes. But that is just the run. Before that you need to take the sample, transport it to the laboratory that does the tests, isolate the RNA (takes about 30 min to 1h depending on the kit), load the sample on the plate, set up the machine, do the run, analyses the results, add the result to the government database and then send the email. Maybe you did some other type of test, not PCR.

But there is evidence he was out and about on 16th, 17th and 18th.

So do you accept he did at least some of those activities when he knew he was positive? 

20 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

But there is evidence he was out and about on 16th, 17th and 18th.

So do you accept he did at least some of those activities when he knew he was positive? 

It is possible and if so, would be very irresponsible behavior. But there is really a lot of disinformation in the media. There are claims that the photos were posted on the 17th-18th but the actual events happened earlier. I don’t use Twitter or Instagram so can’t check for myself. I would really like if Novak or his family clarified what happened. But even if true, I still think that many reactions are over the top. Wanting for him to be deported is fine but there were people wishing for him to die horribly or claiming that this invalidates everything that he has done in life and I can’t agree with that.

4 hours ago, john said:

Apparently now being investigated whether he made a false declaration on the visa application that he had no plans to travel in the fourteen days before he flew to Australia, which is contradicted again by his social media.

Yeah this is being covered here as well and in the US media I read too. It definitely feels like he's been cheating.

At this point even the prime ministers of both countries are having talks about it , crazy. It feels like he is trying to rig the system, he refused to confirm all year whether he was vaccinated or not ( pretty much always a sign that youre not, based on experience of the last year) and then we find out that he was indeed not vaccinated and that his plan to go to Australia anyway is to come up with a positive test just before the tournament. And now we see that on the dates of that supposed test , he was out and about being a happy camper. Plus it seems he lied about his whereabouts, he travelled to places before he came to Australia but on the form he says he didnt.

Now Djoko has released a statement admitting one breach of isolation for the magazine interview (but saying he kept distant with a mask on except for the picture) and saying the other apparent breaches were before he knew the result. And the visa no travel declaration was human error, just ticking the wrong box.

I mean, I guess he has no choice, but it really seems to allow a new revocation of his visa on so-called character grounds.

It almost feels like they have to evict him now. Its become clear his story stinks from several different sides and now he is gonna resort to " my team made human error"  mistake for a second time, and try to alleviate with an " Im sorry" .

Aussie journo just on Talksport said there are unconfirmed reports that the government has told him he will be deported and therefore unable to return to Australia for three years. Unless he fakes an hammy, pulls out of the Open, and comes back next year.

If Djokovic is allowed to play, he says, the situation will become 'dangerous'. 

On 1/11/2022 at 2:37 PM, baxus said:

No, it doesn't. I had a PCR test in Serbia on December 31st and had my result within 2 hours.

Wasn't AO one of the rare tournaments where he was actually a fan favourite? I don't remember the crowd ever booed him there like they did in Wimbledon and US Open.

There are a few things that point out he didn't have it, but there's nothing that could be clearly proven.

I know some people he was in direct contact with on December 16th and the guy never even let them know he tested positive, which is the common courtesy and the least he could do. He's either extremely inconsiderate or he faked his test. Whatever it was, he's an asshole.

What kind of Serbian are you? Bloody hell. 

The lack of isolation in Serbia post positive test has nothing to do with the visa application.

The box ticked wrongly by an agent is no doubt something that happens all the time to professional athletes and on its merit not really a big deal.

The PCR test conspiracy theories are just that - conspiracy theories.

The argument that Novak presents a health risk to a city where Omicron is already rampant, is laughable.

All that’s left, are politics and Morrison’s desire to save face.

On 1/11/2022 at 2:05 PM, mnedel said:

Well, I took a PCR test in Serbia last week. I just looked at my inbox and it was 25h between when I took the test and when I received the results by email. You can receive the results in several hours but usually it is around 24h. It depends on the time of day you take the test and how many other people are being tested in the country. I am also skeptical you can get a result in less than 2h. As a molecular biologist, I work with Real Time PCR all the time (not covid tests however) and we always do about 40 cycles per run for various analysis which takes around 1h 30 minutes for the machine to complete. Just checked the covid experimental protocol (I’m bored lol) and the run takes 75 minutes. But that is just the run. Before that you need to take the sample, transport it to the laboratory that does the tests, isolate the RNA (takes about 30 min to 1h depending on the kit), load the sample on the plate, set up the machine, do the run, analyses the results, add the result to the government database and then send the email. Maybe you did some other type of test, not PCR.

I had my done at the Belgrade airport. Got the results within 2 hours, without any sort of priority or anything like that.

Not a molecular biologist, so I have no idea how it should be handled and I can't say how they handled it and can only hope it was valid. ;) 

1 hour ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

What kind of Serbian are you? Bloody hell. 

I've been hearing that a lot, believe it or not.

Basically, I'm the kind of Serb who doesn't really buy into the hype around Djokovic. Congrats on everything he's done on the court but off the court he and his entourage can bugger right off.

1 hour ago, 3CityApache said:

Sane one?

This, on the other hand, I've been hearing much less often. :D 

The lack of isolation in Serbia post positive test has nothing to do with the visa application.

The box ticked wrongly by an agent is no doubt something that happens all the time to professional athletes and on its merit not really a big deal.

The argument that Novak presents a health risk to a city where Omicron is already rampant, is laughable.

Ticked the wrong box by his agent on an immigration form might happen all the time, but I would have thought Djokovic would have been required to sign the form himself certifying everything in the form is true and correct to the best of his knowledge.  Surely he is expected to double check what his Agent filled in for him?

Also if the requirements for entry into Australia are that people don't travel around before entry while ticking the wrong box might not be that bad if the right box had been ticked then he would not have been allowed in even with his medical exemption.   I don't actually know if no travel before hand is reason to deny entry so just how bad this is depends on that.

Yes its no longer really about if Novak presents a health risk himself but more of these are the rules.  they should be followed or thrown away for everyone.  No special treatment for the rich and famous  (or UK prime ministers - sorry wrong thread) Allowing things for some people makes a farce of everything.

The lack of isolation in Serbia post positive test can and should raise questions around test's credibility and validity, though. Either way, a close friend of mine was in close contact with Djokovic on one of those days and the guy couldn't even be bothered to let him know he tested positive. An asshole move, no doubt.

Sure, there's a lot of politics involved and that's awful. Aussie politicians really looked bad on this one but so did Djokovic.

2 hours ago, baxus said:

I had my done at the Belgrade airport. Got the results within 2 hours, without any sort of priority or anything like that.

Not a molecular biologist, so I have no idea how it should be handled and I can't say how they handled it and can only hope it was valid. ;) 

I've been hearing that a lot, believe it or not.

Basically, I'm the kind of Serb who doesn't really buy into the hype around Djokovic. Congrats on everything he's done on the court but off the court he and his entourage can bugger right off.

This, on the other hand, I've been hearing much less often. :D 

Just looked into it, It seems they have a dedicated laboratory set up at the airport that only handles the passenger tests. If the samples don’t need to be transported to another location and they use rapid RNA extraction tests and they issue the results directly to the passenger before filing it into the database, I guess it’s just about possible to get a result in 2 hours. They must have much less workload than the city laboratories that handle the whole population of Belgrade and around. But for testing in the city, the results are usually sent about 24h later. I’m certain the tests are fine.

So it was fine to have him hanging around your country for three days while you mulled over this decision? Australia have done a good job of turning something that should have been 100% about Novak being an arsehole into something that makes them look incompetent.

It seems they waited so long to announce the minister has revoked his Visa again because now it will be very difficult for him to appeal it over the weekend. 

On the one hand as a tennis fan its a bit of a shame he's not in the tournament, but then again I dont love his game so dont mind more than a little bit. But clearly he has lies and set up this scheme and deserves being evicted.

2 hours ago, Calibandar said:

It seems they waited so long to announce the minister has revoked his Visa again because now it will be very difficult for him to appeal it over the weekend. 

On the one hand as a tennis fan its a bit of a shame he's not in the tournament, but then again I dont love his game so dont mind more than a little bit. But clearly he has lies and set up this scheme and deserves being evicted.

Maybe they waited on purpose, but from what I've gleamed it seems like this Minister has a wide birth to revoke his visa whenever he wants, and could probably just do it again if the court overrules him (which I think is unlikely).

What I don't get is why Novak is still fighting this. Does he not understand that he's doing serious damage to his reputation and possibly to his legacy as well?

From his perspective, I think if you got this far all the reputational damage has been done. You might as well appeal again and see if you can go for that 21st Grand Slam. People will have their opinion on what he did regardless of whether he appeals again or not, thats not gonna change by bowing out now.

But certainly his reputation has been damaged here. Mainly because most people feel, and see, that this whole thing reeks, that there is clearly something up with his story. Even Nadal hinted at it in his press conference.

Archived