Yellowjackets (Showtime series / spoilers)

RumHam

8 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

So is Jackie's diary really just a fuck up by the writers/show runners?

I really hope they've got an outline for the entire series. Because I'm getting a distinctly 'Lost' vibe here, and I hope this isn't another show where the writers pull from their asses what they think is really kewl stuff, only to never resolve or explain things.

2 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

That was one hell of a ride.  So many questions.  I really hope this doesn't go 5 seasons even if they're only 10 episodes each.  I'm not sure how the producers got Christina Ricci and Juliette Lewis to make that long of a commitment.

Yellowjackets is not being made or shot in the traditional premium cable/streamer way, but more in a traditional network show way, even down to being based in Vancouver like all the cheap network shows were back in the day. Apparently they've already scheduled Season 2 to drop before the end of 2022 and they haven't started filming it yet. So on that basis they're probably taking no more than 2 weeks per episode (so 20 weeks) divided in half between the flashback/present day storylines, and then divided down further between them major characters. So Ricci and Lewis are probably not needed for any more than 10 weeks max a year for shooting the show, at least at this point. They can easily do this and other projects simultaneously.

I'm waiting for he finale to air, since we're a bit behind here. It should drop on Thursday.

3 hours ago, kairparavel said:

Hmm, guess that only leaves two options:

Spoiler

1. Someone, probably Shauna, went back and made additional entries into it after Jackie died, or

2. Jackie is a time traveling zombie 

30 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I really hope they've got an outline for the entire series. Because I'm getting a distinctly 'Lost' vibe here, and I hope this isn't another show where the writers pull from their asses what they think is really kewl stuff, only to never resolve or explain things.

I think they do, and Lost seasons had way more episodes and way more character arcs to follow. This show doesn't feel like it's going to get too bloated. 

7 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

What was jammed in the mouth of that skeleton in the abandoned cabin?

Huh, I didn't notice anything I'll have to go back and look.

Is Jessica still alive?  Why was Taissa not worried about her when she got abducted?

I think we have to assume she overdosed on fentanyl and died. At least that was Misty's intention.

Where did Misty get that Medicinal Plants book?

It was in the cabin I guess. Only thing that makes sense

Where did that heart come from, Jackie or the bear?

The bear for sure. They're not at a "lets cut out our recently deceased friends heart as an offering" point yet. 

When Misty mentions a movie about "those rich ladies that kill that guy", she was referring to a Christian Ricci movie, right?

I could be wrong but I assumed she was talking about the HBO limited series Big Little Lies. 

This article is a Q&A with the writers and it puts something to bed once and for all:

Spoiler

here have been countless theories since the show premiered. Are there any that you found interesting or entertaining?

Lyle: There are a lot to be found interesting ... and sort of genius. People got very creative. In a way, it sort of hurts us sometimes to be the bearer of bad news, to say: That is not actually what happened. I found the “Adam is Javi” theory to be incredible. It is not true. I’m always impressed when someone comes up with something that had not occurred to us. Adam as Javi had genuinely not occurred to us.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2022-01-16/yellowjackets-episode-10-season-finale-shauna-jackie-lottie-fan-theories-quiz

I've been trying to work out the number of survivors of Flight 2525. The publicity photos and the team photo in the finale indicate there are 15 people on the team altogether, so 14 of them went on the plane (Allie was out after having her leg snapped), plus Misty, the coach, assistant coach and the coach's two sons. There was also a pilot, copilot and flight attendant. So that's logically 22 people.

There are six graves after the crash: the pilot, co-pilot, the coach and flight attendant (who I think was the person who was on fire). Rachel Goldman also died, she was the Oasis fan who was impaled through the throat. So one more team-member must have been killed as well (there is some dispute over that, with some suggesting the sixth grave was actually for Ben's leg!).

We know Ben (assistant coach), Travis, Javi, Misty and team-members Jackie, Shauna, Nat, Misty, Akilah, Laura Lee, Lottie, Mari, Taissa and Van survived, along with two identifiable, recurring extras. There should be one more survivor from the team, or two more if we accept the "Ben Leg Grave" theory.

In the memorial scene in the second episode, there are eighteen people standing around the six graves, plus Ben (who was out of it on a stretcher), so that's nineteen survivors plus the six (5-and-a-leg?) who died, indicating there were actually 25 people (or 24+leg) on the plane. There's also at least fifteen people in the scene where they find Jackie's body (plus Jackie), which  more or less tracks since Laura Lee is the only fatality (thusfar) after the crash itself and before Jackie.

I'm just puzzled who the extra people were. Did the rich parent who paid for the plane come along with them? And maybe they drafted in an extra person to replace Allie (I know some people thought that was Akilah, but it seems like she was a newcomer to the team including Allie). It doesn't give them a lot of wriggle-room to deal with survivors. It seems like there's now 17 survivors and we can readily identify 12 of them, five of whom (Shauna, Nat, Misty, Taissa and Travis) are definitely still alive at the start of the show in the present and one (Lottie) who probably is.

Lost at least gave them a larger pool of survivors to draw upon (until they murdered all of the extras in Season 5).

5 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

^^^^ I’m pretty surprised that it genuinely never occurred to them that people would think that.

I think it was a massive stretch that Shauna wouldn't have recognised him. Maybe if they'd met just the once, but repeated meetings would have likely been enough for her to peg who he is.

29 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:
  Hide contents

Misty's frock is the same colour and style as the cult people who grabbed Nat at the end.

Spoiler

I've been wondering if she's involved with them. She seems like someone who would join a cult to feel a sense of acceptance. Plus she and Van seemed to be Lottie's biggest supporters. Nat seemed surprised she was able to find Travis, and the cult also presumably found him. I think you could read a lot of what she was up to this season as trying to recruit Nat maybe? 

So are we thinking that Taissa is a fully-paid-up member of the cult, or is she kind of doing her own thing, worshipping the bear or whatever but as an independent?

Also, why sacrifice her own wife's dog and not some random animal off the street? That's obviously only a one-time deal, or did she do it when she was sleep-weirding?

I think it's likely that Misty is also involved in the cult, given the similar overalls and the fact she's so desperate to belong to something larger than herself.

A more interesting question here is what is the cult's aims? Did they just adapt the symbol that Lottie saw carved on the trees and in the cabin attic or is there literally some kind of "Other" (if you will) group out there in the woods? Another community out there might at least explain how the hell they survived nineteen months when it looks questionable how the hell they could last a single winter. I'm not sure one person could make it even if they ate everyone else.

Incidentally, I'm thinking the cannibalism starts with Ben. He's already partially injured, and he could easily get an infection or further injury which means he's going to die anyway, and that eases the group into the mindset. Especially if Misty remains feeling rejected and dejected.

So if Jackie couldn't survive the cold with a fire, that doesn't bode well for Javi.

I believe Javi is there with the rest when Shauna finds Jackie, so I'm assuming he made it back before the snow fell.

The fire was pretty crap, although the snowfall was so heavy that it's a miracle the people in the cabin didn't freeze to death as well.

On 1/18/2022 at 11:44 AM, Teng Ai Hui said:

Is Jessica still alive?  Why was Taissa not worried about her when she got abducted?

I think Jessica is a goner. She was probably poisoned with fentanyl, which could easily have been enough to kill her. If she's alive, it's because Misty fucked up the dose.

Rekha Sharma seems to be enjoy picking up these roles as a political fixer who ends up being kind of an arsehole and then dies rather off-handedly.

Where did Misty get that Medicinal Plants book?

I assume she found in the cabin, otherwise it's a huge coincidence she had it with her. Although we could start theorising that maybe the plane crash was deliberate and certain people were in on it, but that feels a little silly.

Where did that heart come from, Jackie or the bear?

The heart was fucking huge, so presumably the bear, or Jackie was some kind of mutant.

9 minutes ago, Werthead said:

So are we thinking that Taissa is a fully-paid-up member of the cult, or is she kind of doing her own thing, worshipping the bear or whatever but as an independent?

Also, why sacrifice her own wife's dog and not some random animal off the street? That's obviously only a one-time deal, or did she do it when she was sleep-weirding?

When she woke up in the tree she had a bite on her hand, so I assume she did it that night. 

Some good theorising on Reddit.

Spoiler

Current strong theory is that the survivors split into multiple tribes or groups. Lottie's Antler gang initially gains sway over the group, but Nat and Travis break off early, probably with Javi and maybe Ben (if he isn't the first cannibal victim). Shauna and Taissa stay with the group for a while but eventually get cold feet and maybe bail, possibly related to Shauna's pregnancy (she should give birth around halfway through their stay in the woods, maybe closer to two-thirds of the way through it). There's hostility between the groups and Lottie's gang tries to eat the others, but fails to get all of them. Misty is a fully-paid-up member of Team Lottie but either defects to the other gang, is driven out after some further mishap or is deliberately sent to infiltrate them by Lottie. Or Taissa might be the mole and is still in contact with Lottie.

Eventually Nat, Travis, Shauna, Taissa and Misty (and maybe others) break out and try to get back to civilisation, maybe having become more adept at hunting and feeding themselves. They get picked up miles and miles from the others and tell the rescuers they're all dead. That's the "dark secret" the group have, not they necessary are cannibals themselves (apart from Misty) but they left the other group to die instead of ensuring they were rescued and given medical and psychiatric treatment. If they recanted later on, it was too late to change their story and they feared being arrested.

Taissa and/or Misty know Lottie's group have survived, thrived and gotten back in touch with civilisation (Lottie has a bank account in her own name), but the rest don't. Nat suspected, and that's what Travis told he "she's right" about.

57 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I think Jessica is a goner. She was probably poisoned with fentanyl, which could easily have been enough to kill her. If she's alive, it's because Misty fucked up the dose.

She's confirmed dead.

(link has some other interesting bits from the show runners)

ETA: They also confirm Jackie is not a time traveling zombie. Her diary was updated by Shauna.

Edited by Tywin et al.

10 hours ago, Werthead said:

I think it was a massive stretch that Shauna wouldn't have recognised him. Maybe if they'd met just the once, but repeated meetings would have likely been enough for her to peg who he is.

Yeah, you’re right. Especially after the others saw his corpse and there was no recognition. I still thought he was weirdly too into her, and showing up to the hotel bar was always odd to me but I guess it’s a moot point. Still surprised it wasn’t purposely done by the writers though.

10 hours ago, Werthead said:

Lost at least gave them a larger pool of survivors to draw upon (until they murdered all of the extras in Season 5).

At least we won’t get another Nikki/Paulo filler episode then.

I did also read on reddit somewhere that since Christina Ricci was pregnant they chose the jumpsuit to cover it up in those scenes, and it obviously fits Misty’s character to wear that. :dunno: