NBA continued- Replacement players and the flat earther Road Warrior

DireWolfSpirit

22 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

This collapsed quickly:

Interesting that these talks are supposedly heating up again. I'm sure its great for the Sixers as Harden is clearly their n01. target but....not so sure why the Nets would be interested in this.

13 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Interesting that these talks are supposedly heating up again. I'm sure its great for the Sixers as Harden is clearly their n01. target but....not so sure why the Nets would be interested in this.

Because Harden looks like a shell of himself and in theory Simmons is a better fit if he's vaccinated. 

Well look, I am intrigued by the idea of Simmons at the Nets but I wouldnt trade Harden for him. I do like the idea of Simmons on that team, but there is so much uncertainty around whether or not he will shoot the ball once he comes back, what state he's going to be in. Thats introducing an enormous amount of uncertainty into a team that has been in turmoil all year due to injuries. And... I still really like Harden. He's been dealing with injuries lately , he has had the occasional excellent game, but yes he does not not look like Houston Harden. However I am not at all convinced that that Harden is never coming back. Just last season he had a superb regular season run with the Nets. If I am the Nets , I am not trading him for Simmons until I have seen this trio play together.

1 hour ago, Calibandar said:

Well look, I am intrigued by the idea of Simmons at the Nets but I wouldnt trade Harden for him. I do like the idea of Simmons on that team, but there is so much uncertainty around whether or not he will shoot the ball once he comes back, what state he's going to be in. Thats introducing an enormous amount of uncertainty into a team that has been in turmoil all year due to injuries. And... I still really like Harden. He's been dealing with injuries lately , he has had the occasional excellent game, but yes he does not not look like Houston Harden. However I am not at all convinced that that Harden is never coming back. Just last season he had a superb regular season run with the Nets. If I am the Nets , I am not trading him for Simmons until I have seen this trio play together.

Harden can be a FA this offseason and every report I've seen suggests he's not happy with the Nets situation and plans on leaving. Furthermore, Simmons is a better fit because he adds so much on the defensive end and can do all the playmaking things Harden offers while not needing to be a primary scorer. 

Plus he's a lot cheaper long term. 

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Harden can be a FA this offseason and every report I've seen suggests he's not happy with the Nets situation and plans on leaving. Furthermore, Simmons is a better fit because he adds so much on the defensive end and can do all the playmaking things Harden offers while not needing to be a primary scorer. 

Plus he's a lot cheaper long term. 

How are the strip clubs in Philly?  Trying to gauge how Harden will fit in there.

Kind of what analysts thought they needed, someone to come off the bench to really boost that second unit now that Rubio is injured.

Steve Nash saying there is no way Harden is going to get traded.

DENVER -- The Brooklyn Nets do not plan to trade James Harden prior to Thursday's NBA trade deadline. Nets coach Steve Nash made that clear before Sunday's game against the Denver Nuggets as Harden's name continues to pop up in trade speculation.

"Yes," Nash said. "That's correct."

Nash also said Harden has repeatedly told him that he wants to stay in Brooklyn for the foreseeable future.

"I've talked to James; he wants to be here," Nash said. "He wants to be here long term as well, so I don't think anything's changed other than noise from the outside. James wants to be here, we're building with James and we think we have the best chance to win with James. I don't think anything's changed on the inside, in our locker room, in our communication, it's just all the noise from the [outside]."

33 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Kind of what analysts thought they needed, someone to come off the bench to really boost that second unit now that Rubio is injured.

Yeah, with both Sexton and Rubio out for the year, they really lack a second ball-handler who can both get his own shot and set up other guys.  LeVert may make Sexton obsolete long-term, but they can always trade Sexton at a later point.

Here is an excellent history of the P&R from The Big O to the 1980's Celtics through to Spain, prompted by Luka at the Grizzlies.  I enjoy the specific illustration of the evolution of the P&R and its many options through to today's NBA game.

I still use that Celtic video series with Red Auerbach as a tool to teach footwork to my teams for the P&R.

Kevin Love morphing from the team practically paying him to stay away from the facility to a sixth man of the year candidate is still insane to me.  This is the happiest I've seen him as a Cavalier outside of the moment the Cavs won the title back in 2016.  

20 hours ago, Relic said:

Are you a coach? 

At the most grass-roots level, as a hobby.  I started coaching in college when my (soccer) playing career ended, and I picked up a bunch of the old FIFA badges via their correspondence program.  Decades later, when my daughter showed an interest in basketball as an elementary student, I did my basketball coach training through USA Basketball so I could qualify to help out her teams.  And I have coached high school, middle school, elementary and club teams since then.

The difference between coaching in the 1980s and today is the HUGE, TREMENDOUS set of tools available to a coach in the form of video.  Video assessment of players via tools like HUDL, video scouting of opponents (HUDL, etc.), make game coaching much, much easier.  The ability to film a player's motion, and then project it onto the gym screen ten second later to show him or her what to do more of or less of - wow, incredibly useful in communicating how to improve a player's form.  The ability to learn new techniques to teach players, the ability to show a drill on the screen, all of this makes coaching so much smoother.  Many people are visual learners and being able to show as well as tell significantly shortens the learning curve.

Thus the video tools allows coaches to use their precious time in the gym much more efficiently.  Since my goal is to help kids enjoy playing and help them develop into good citizens, the less time we spend shouting uselessly and at cross-purposes, the better.  Video is one tool that significantly reduces the signal attenuation inherent in coaching and learning.

None of my players are ever going to become Olympians, but I hope that their good form and positive practice experiences helped them enjoy basketball and gain confidence in their own ability to work hard and achieve some success as a result of their intentional actions.

16 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

At the most grass-roots level, as a hobby.  I started coaching in college when my (soccer) playing career ended, and I picked up a bunch of the old FIFA badges via their correspondence program.  Decades later, when my daughter showed an interest in basketball as an elementary student, I did my basketball coach training through USA Basketball so I could qualify to help out her teams.  And I have coached high school, middle school, elementary and club teams since then.

The difference between coaching in the 1980s and today is the HUGE, TREMENDOUS set of tools available to a coach in the form of video.  Video assessment of players via tools like HUDL, video scouting of opponents (HUDL, etc.), make game coaching much, much easier.  The ability to film a player's motion, and then project it onto the gym screen ten second later to show him or her what to do more of or less of - wow, incredibly useful in communicating how to improve a player's form.  The ability to learn new techniques to teach players, the ability to show a drill on the screen, all of this makes coaching so much smoother.  Many people are visual learners and being able to show as well as tell significantly shortens the learning curve.

Thus the video tools allows coaches to use their precious time in the gym much more efficiently.  Since my goal is to help kids enjoy playing and help them develop into good citizens, the less time we spend shouting uselessly and at cross-purposes, the better.  Video is one tool that significantly reduces the signal attenuation inherent in coaching and learning.

None of my players are ever going to become Olympians, but I hope that their good form and positive practice experiences helped them enjoy basketball and gain confidence in their own ability to work hard and achieve some success as a result of their intentional actions.

That is awesome, sir. So you find it to be a rewarding hobby? Does your daughter still play? 

My Pelicans just pulled off a nice trade with Portland, got CJ Mcollum and Larry Nance for Josh Hart, a protected 1st and a bunch of garbage.  I don't know if another deal is brewing that will send Nance somewhere else, but so far I'm loving this trade.

Now if only Zion comes back soon (hopefully a few lbs lighter)

Yeah great deal. You still need a fit Zion to make an impact but still. And that 5-14 protected pick probably means youre keeping your pick this year.

Outside of what happens to Ben Simmons, the other player I am most interested in seeing traded is Sabonis.

Portland probably off loading Nurkic as well if they can, he's expiring and a good piece.

Archived