NBA continued- Replacement players and the flat earther Road Warrior

DireWolfSpirit

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Portland desperately needs to blow up their situation. Dame may be slipping, but he'll still probably net six first rounders and swaps before the deadline, especially if they also accept some bad contracts in return. CJ is a nice player, and seems like an awesome dude off the court, but he can't be the second best player on a team. It may be a stretch for him to be the third best player on a contender unless the one and two are awesome. 

Yeah I agree. I feel bad for Blazers fans because I imagine they all want Lillard to retire a Blazer but I just don't see how Portland can retain him and improve their team. And apparently neither can the Portland front office. 

I'm very curious what the Warriors would be willing to give up for Lillard assuming the financials could work out. 

5 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Yeah I agree. I feel bad for Blazers fans because I imagine they all want Lillard to retire a Blazer but I just don't see how Portland can retain him and improve their team. And apparently neither can the Portland front office. 

I'm very curious what the Warriors would be willing to give up for Lillard assuming the financials could work out. 

Lillard is a bad fit with them. They don't need to add a lesser version of Curry. A better target for them would have been KAT, but the Wolves aren't going to trade him. If I was the Warriors I'd be inquiring to see what it would cost to get someone like Siakam Collins. Or Simmons, but it sounds like he's not going to be moved for anything less than a massive haul which he simply isn't worth at this point (and I'm not sure he would have even been worth it before his fall from grace).

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

So he's going to Houston?

Just to be clear, I meant a combination of six picks and swaps. I personally wouldn't do it, but I'm sure several teams would. 

20 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Just to be clear, I meant a combination of six picks and swaps. I personally wouldn't do it, but I'm sure several teams would. 

I'm just not sure how much Portland would value swaps, especially if they're trading him to a contending team.  Given his salary I'd have to think some of the (positive) value will have to be recouped in the actual players coming back.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

I'm just not sure how much Portland would value swaps, especially if they're trading him to a contending team.  Given his salary I'd have to think some of the (positive) value will have to be recouped in the actual players coming back.

What contender other than GS has a plethora of young talent they could send back? I don't really see another obvious choice, and in that situation I think you go for the swaps rather than getting guys on their second contracts. It's easier to rebuild that way. What they need to do is trade him to a contender that's at the end of their run, like the Pelicans did with the Lakers, or send him to a team that thinks they're contenders when they're really not (Knicks seem like the obvious choice here). Sure there's a good chance that it doesn't work, but I think we can safely say Portland's window with Dame as it's star is closed so keeping him makes zero sense.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

What contender other than GS has a plethora of young talent they could send back?

I have no idea, I'm just saying I don't see a team offering six picks (even if a couple are swaps) unless they had other teams' picks to deal as well.  Moreover, I don't see how you match the salaries without SOME of the players coming back being of "positive" value to the Blazers (whether it be through the quality of the player or an expiring contract).

13 minutes ago, DMC said:

I have no idea, I'm just saying I don't see a team offering six picks (even if a couple are swaps) unless they had other teams' picks to deal as well.  Moreover, I don't see how you match the salaries without SOME of the players coming back being of "positive" value to the Blazers (whether it be through the quality of the player or an expiring contract).

I think it would be players with expiring contracts. If you're going to tank, get your cap as low as allowed. And if you look at the AD, Harden and Holiday trades, a package of three firsts and three swaps isn't too much to ask. You just need to deal him to a team you think may have a two to three year window so those later picks have real upside. 

15 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think it would be players with expiring contracts. If you're going to tank, get your cap as low as allowed. And if you look at the AD, Harden and Holiday trades, a package of three firsts and three swaps isn't too much to ask. You just need to deal him to a team you think may have a two to three year window so those later picks have real upside. 

Sounds really unlikely they'd find a team with that goldilocks of a package and willing to offer it.

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

Sounds really unlikely they'd find a team with that goldilocks of a package and willing to offer it.

Knicks seem like the most obvious spot, but yeah, there isn't a clear path for one like there may have been a year ago. That said, I wouldn't advocate for them to do what the Sixers are doing. They shouldn't hold out for a perfect deal. If they can get three first plus some other value they should do it. Frankly I'd be happy if the Wolves offered three firsts and some matching contracts that weren't part of our core if they'd accept it.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Knicks seem like the most obvious spot, but yeah, there isn't a clear path for one like there may have been a year ago. That said, I wouldn't advocate for them to do what the Sixers are doing. They shouldn't hold out for a perfect deal. If they can get three first plus some other value they should do it. Frankly I'd be happy if the Wolves offered three firsts and some matching contracts that weren't part of our core if they'd accept it.

The Sixers aren't holding out for a perfect deal.  Morey is delusional and asking for far more than Simmons is worth at this point.  

3 minutes ago, briantw said:

The Sixers aren't holding out for a perfect deal.  Morey is delusional and asking for far more than Simmons is worth at this point.  

Out of curiosity, what would you trade for him if you were one of the teams actively trying to acquire him?

I'd trade him straight up for someone like Siakam. I think the Sixers should take that if thats on the table considering how he's playing but Toronto might not even want to let him go.

At this point, any help for a very good Sixers team is gonna improve their chances. Even a straight up swap for McCollum and a pick. We've been hearing the Kings bowed out of the Simmons race because Morey wants too much, and Nets arent trading Harden for him ( I wouldnt either at this point). If they could get Fox from Sacramento thats worth considering. They dont really need Barnes unless they get rid of Harris. 

Denver blowing out the Bucks in Milwaukee. Another great win for this Denver team which is still supposed to get Murray back and there's positive buzz around Porter Jr too. Its amazing how well they are holding up considering they are missing their second and third guys. Another loss Milwaukee as well, they have not impressed so far.

2 other teams that are really impressing with their teamplay are the Sixers and the Raptors. Raptors have been on a great run since they got their team together. And the Sixers, Maxey is doing well for them at point guard. And I still want them to trade Simmons and get at least something that makes the team better, not throw away a whole season of him.

Really enjoyed our first NBA game this weekend.  FedEx forum was a really nice arena.  Ja had 30 points and a kickin windmill jam.  My son loved every minute of it.  Lot of energy in the arena.

Enjoyed downtown Memphis.  Had some good BBQ that required us to go down a staircase in the back of an alley.  :lol:  Got back to the hotel and watched some ducks march through the lobby.  Watched first half of Kentucky's beatdown of Kansas and then walked over to the game.  A good time was had by all.

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

Really enjoyed our first NBA game this weekend.  FedEx forum was a really nice arena.  Ja had 30 points and a kickin windmill jam.  My son loved every minute of it.  Lot of energy in the arena.

Enjoyed downtown Memphis.  Had some good BBQ that required us to go down a staircase in the back of an alley.  :lol:  Got back to the hotel and watched some ducks march through the lobby.  Watched first half of Kentucky's beatdown of Kansas and then walked over to the game.  A good time was had by all.

Ja is definitely fun to watch. I went to the Nets-Warriors game on Saturday (my 3rd game this year). I don't like Kyrie but you cannot deny his skills. Also, him being able to play in California makes no sense to me given that he can't even play in NY but those are San Francisco laws for you.

Anyway, I watched the entirety of JJ Redick's podcast interview with Draymond Green. Interestingly, when asked which players had the highest basketball IQ, Draymond's response was Lebron, Rondo and Chris Paul... with Ja Morant being an "honorable mention" and on his way to being in that top category given that it's only his second year in the league. 

14 hours ago, Rhom said:

Sounds like a great day. I'd love to have the opportunity to watch a game live.

21 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Sounds like a great day. I'd love to have the opportunity to watch a game live.

It was!  I had been to two preseason games.  Minnesota v Toronto back in 2003(?) in the Quad Cities.  Vince, KG, and Latrell were all there but didn’t play much.  Then about five or six years ago the Pelicans with AD played the Kings with Cousins and Willie Cauley-Stein at Rupp Arena the day after Big Blue Madness.

Both exhibitions were fun to attend; but the experience of an actual game in a NBA home arena was something on another level entirely.

It was also cool seeing how much my 11 year old son honestly follows the game (or maybe he just plays too much 2K).  During warm ups he pointed out Spencer Dinwiddie to me… I asked him “Who’s Spencer Dinwiddie?!!!?” :lol: 

Archived