Random Thoughts About ASOIAF

The Bard of Banefort

30 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Why didn't Aegon IV's bastards take on the Targaryen name when he legitimised them?

they were already famous enough without it

random thought: isn't it amusing that only 3 of the Targaryen kings - Aenys , Daeron I and Aerys II - were actually raised expecting to one day wear the crown and none of those three turned out to be able? 

( Aegon IV and Daeron II succeeded their fathers too but both were already all grown up when Viserys became king.) 

3 hours ago, EggBlue said:

they were already famous enough without it

random thought: isn't it amusing that only 3 of the Targaryen kings - Aenys , Daeron I and Aerys II - were actually raised expecting to one day wear the crown and none of those three turned out to be able? 

( Aegon IV and Daeron II succeeded their fathers too but both were already all grown up when Viserys became king.) 

Huh, that is interesting. It’s kind of like how the older sons tend to die young in house Greyjoy. Balon was a fourth-born son and Theon was a third. 

"A trip to Dorne might be very pleasant, now that I reflect on it.”

“Plan on a lengthy visit.” Prince Oberyn sipped his wine. “You and Doran have many matters of mutual interest to discuss. Music, trade, history, wine, the dwarf’s penny . . . the laws of inheritance and succession. No doubt an uncle’s counsel would be of benefit to Queen Myrcella in the trying times ahead".

Did Oberyn plan to crown Myrcella? Separately from Arianne?

2 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Did Oberyn plan to crown Myrcella? Separately from Arianne?

I don't don't know what to think of that bit . according to Doran , he and Oberyn had the same plans . wasn't Quentyn sent to Dany before Oberyn's departure?

13 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

I don't don't know what to think of that bit . according to Doran , he and Oberyn had the same plans . wasn't Quentyn sent to Dany before Oberyn's departure?

Probably, but that's not important here. Arianne has her own reasons for the Queenmaker plot. It's never mentioned that she got this idea from Oberyn. So the two of them came up with the exact same plot separately?

31 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Probably, but that's not important here. Arianne has her own reasons for the Queenmaker plot. It's never mentioned that she got this idea from Oberyn. So the two of them came up with the exact same plot separately?

well, with Quentyn scheme , Doran didn't need Myrcella plan to have his war and revenge; so, why would Oberyn? anyway , yeah, they probably came up with that separately . although , my guess is Oberyn would have known he couldn't eventually put Myrcella on the throne and might have planned to declare Dorne's independence after luring Lannisters into his trap and taking his revenge. Or , he planned to join Daenerys afterwards.

What if the House with the Red Door is a person, not a place? 

House = Mance / Manse

Red Door = Raydor

(and I think Mance is Arthur Dayne, as "mancerayder" is an anagram of "dayne camerr" and camaoir means "dawn" in Gaelic, and in Latin mane means "dawn" and manes means "ghost" and I think Ned allowed Arthur to take the black, and Mance took a baby up north named Val as in Valyrian, and left it with the Umbers and umbor means "infant" in Old English, which plays into all the Bael the Bard stuff around Mance, and Abel being an anagram of Bael, and Arthur is heavily associated with Avalon, and avalon is spelled abalon in Gaelic.)

I just got a greek dictionary in the mail today (fulltext) that gives phonetic english pronunciation and on the page with a bunch of Lyanna words like layena, leea, leyo, lieno, leeyo, leeono

leemon is right below leea and lieno. 

Is Lyanna the Lemon Tree?  Layena* means "lion"* and leontaree means "lion"* --> Lemon Tree = Lyanna

and several "lemon" words are in the same column as the "Lyanna" words.

And on the facing page lehona means "a woman who has just given birth" and leoyo means "come to an end, terminate"

and right below that lemeree (Lemore) means "retreat, hiding place, hideout, den"  (and Lemore gave birth to Jon at the Wolf's Den)

and leemanee means "port, harbour" and Lemore was at White Harbor.

(there is a huge amount of overlap in words associated with Ashara and Lyanna, which I think was deliberate)

and leemnothalasa means "lagoon" and Dany thinks the Lemon Tree was in Braavos.

So Lyanna + Arthur = Dany, and Ned + Ashara = Jon  (in Arthurian myth, two children are born under a Red Dragon comet, a boy and a girl, the boy becomes King Arthur.  "Born under a Bleeding Star" means "born under the Dayne sigil")  And that would explain the Dain / Dana similaries.  Arthur Dayne --> Arthur Dany

leeanos means "thin, slender" and Lyanna was slender.

laheno means "to meet, come across"

laheeon means "prize" and she got the blue winter rose crown

A Song for Lya stuff

leeono means "to melt, liquefy, dissolve"  and leea means "prey"

I just realized that in Hindi lay means "song, melody" and "absorption, merging, destruction" layan means "state of being absorbed, or merged" and layari means "wolf" 

And in that story Lya gets absorbed into the Greeshka and her identity is destroyed, as she is merely prey for the Greeshka and it liquefies her body to digest it.

A Night at the Tarn House stuff

Liriane is a version of Arya/Lyanna, and in greek leeree means "cockcomb, crest" and Liriane's feathered cap is a big part of the story.  and leeyeros means "lithe, slim, graceful"

and lera means "rogue, rascal"

*Lion words

So Dany is based on the character of Ciri from the Witcher, they are both prophesied savior girls who are orphaned and have silver hair and give prophesy (tairngair means "prophecy, promise"--[Promise me Ned]), and inherit special magical characteristics that run only in the female side of the family.  Ciri is the Lioness of Cintra, and that would explain a lot of the Lion associations with Dany and Lyanna.

Ciri has a chapter where she is lost in the desert and essentially dies and is reborn, and she is guided by a star.  Dany has a chapter where she is lost in the desert and essentially dies and is reborn, and she is guided by the Red Comet.  Ciri finds a unicorn in the desert, and Dany has a dream vision that features a unicorn.

Edited by By Odin's Beard

re-reading FnB is insightful :P I've come to conclusion that Robert and every historical Baratheon , save for Orys himself, are basically variants of Argilic the Arrogant! they all share a passion for hunting , drinking and whoring ; they all want to die with a weapon in hand and a curse in mouth and none of them think much of women's capabilities (worse than ,say, Starks or Targaryens) . 

Other random findings from the greek dictionary

orthros (Arthur) means "dawn"

eesheeros (Ashara) means "strong" and is right above eeosos, and Ashara faked her death and went to Essos

eeon (Jon) means "violet" and eeos means "dawn"

leekos means "wolf" and leekavyes means "dawn"

eeyemon (Aemon) means "prince"

kaleestos means "best, perfect, exquisite"

ieron (Aeron) means "sanctuary" and ieros means "holy" and ierokeereeks means "preacher"

Craster's Keep

krazo means "croak, caw" like a crow, and Craster was half crow and on the next page krato means "keep" and "rule"

and kreeos means "cold" and Craster worshiped the cold gods, and his sons became White Walkers.  kreeono means "to grow cold"

and krateer means "crater" and kreas means "meat, flesh" and kreesees means "judgment" (Simon Kress from Sandkings)

3 hours ago, EggBlue said:

re-reading FnB is insightful :P I've come to conclusion that Robert and every historical Baratheon , save for Orys himself, are basically variants of Argilic the Arrogant! they all share a passion for hunting , drinking and whoring ; they all want to die with a weapon in hand and a curse in mouth and none of them think much of women's capabilities (worse than ,say, Starks or Targaryens) . 

Well, Boremund wanted Rhaenys to be queen, so I guess he was an exception at least.

And then there’s Stannis :D

17 hours ago, EggBlue said:

well, with Quentyn scheme , Doran didn't need Myrcella plan to have his war and revenge; so, why would Oberyn? anyway , yeah, they probably came up with that separately . although , my guess is Oberyn would have known he couldn't eventually put Myrcella on the throne and might have planned to declare Dorne's independence after luring Lannisters into his trap and taking his revenge. Or , he planned to join Daenerys afterwards.

My own view is that Oberyn saw it as a way of forcing the issue.  He may not have been fully advised of his brother's plans.

I don't think the Martells care very much about Myrcella's survival (other than Arianne feeling some guilt about her injuries), she's just a useful pawn.  

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Well, Boremund wanted Rhaenys to be queen, so I guess he was an exception at least.

And then there’s Stannis :D

well , Boremund wanted Rhaenys to be queen because she was his niece.. likewise, Rogar wanted to crown Aerea for his own agenda, that doesn't make him an exception . and  I excluded Stannis and Renly:closedeyes: just admit it my friend, Baratheons went full Durrandan after Orys :P 

4 hours ago, EggBlue said:

well , Boremund wanted Rhaenys to be queen because she was his niece.. likewise, Rogar wanted to crown Aerea for his own agenda, that doesn't make him an exception . and  I excluded Stannis and Renly:closedeyes: just admit it my friend, Baratheons went full Durrandan after Orys :P 

I think we can give Bormeund a bit more credit, seeing as Alysanne believed him gentle enough for Daella, who was afraid of kittens.

44 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I think we can give Bormeund a bit more credit, seeing as Alysanne believed him gentle enough for Daella, who was afraid of kittens.

I suppose so. Although, Alyssane matched Vissera with Theomore Manderly , suggested Rhaena to remarry and her other choice for Daella was the womanizer Tymond Lannister ; which suggests she wasn't all that bright.

Edited by EggBlue

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

Random thought.

is Sansa knowingly poisoning Sweetrobin?

I think she's deeply in denial about it. In the Alayne sample chapter, she thinks about how his future wife will love his pretty hair if "the gods are good" and he lives long enough to wed. Sansa, like Ned, seems to be very good at compartmentalizing.