UK Politics: Cost of Living Crisis

Raja

Is the Tory party in trouble?

They actially can’t get rid of a lying criminal incompetent because the best alternative is a man who was surprised to learn Dover was an important part of British trade?

A man who will likely not be fined because no one thought to invite the thick-as-mince prick to any of the parties?

37 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Is the Tory party in trouble

Well, on the one hand they are citing the Ukraine crisis as the reason for keeping the cunt in office, whilst on the other, abandoning plans to recall Parliament to debate the response to Putin's use of chemical weapons. Putting party politics above national security like this must be extremely troubling for many within the party.

I spoke to a bunch of angry Tories on the doorstep today, where I heard more than one reference to the Paterson affair. This feels worse, and once the angry emails begin filling the inboxes of Tory MPs, I suspect pressure will begin to build. Especially when Sunak quits in the next couple of days.

It's obviously a day with a 'y' in it, because Tories are saying silly things. In addition to the above, Daniel Hannan is blaming inflation on... furlough.

YouGov shows a clear majority in favour of Sunak and Johnson resigning, and even more agreeing that Johnson has lied in office.

With regards to the Ukraine argument, tn the contrary, I think a democracy showing it change remove a morally compromised and possibly criminal leader and replace him in a time of crisis sends a strong signal that we can do things that autocracies cannot. It is clear that Putin has massively misjudged the situation in Ukraine and in a proper democracy he would be facing calls to resign and be replaced by someone who could salvage the situation in the best interests of his country, but instead he will carry on and probably make more and more errors of judgement and mistakes. Britain replaced its Prime Minister during WWII twice and the USA once (albeit through unavoidable circumstances) and a positive outcome was still achieved.

Admittedly their alternative choices weren't a Poundland fascist, a confused sweatball and GoBot Thatcher.

ABOVE AND BEYOND THE LAW - ‘Partygate’ has Fatally Exposed Britain’s Political System

"When Labour MP Dawn Butler was asked to leave the House of Commons last July after calling the Prime Minister a liar, the incident showed the absurdity of a system which enables those in the highest positions of power to lie with impunity, while sanctioning those calling out the lies – all in the name of archaic procedures supposedly still in place in the facilitation of honour.

Surely, now is the time for all those who care about democracy to recognise that fundamental change – including to the workings of the head of state, the checks on the executive and a presidential-style prime minister and our constitution – must be considered. But burgeoning inequalities, fuelling a dangerous disengagement with democracy among the public, continues.

What happens to our ‘good chaps’ democracy when bad actors come to power? 170,000 people have died from the Coronavirus in the UK – every one of them deserving accountability. As things stand, there’s nothing but a ballot box down the line and the consciences of Conservative MPs, worried for their careers, that could give them that.

If Boris Johnson and Rishi Sunak remain in office despite unassailable evidence that they broke the law, the values the Conservative Party used to claim it is most proud of – the rule of law, civil liberties and good old British fairness – will mean nothing. With our ‘mother of Parliaments’, “world-beating” institutions and supposedly second-to-none justice system, Britain has for so long wrapped itself in myths about itself – while a different reality is now loudly speaking for itself. 

If the Chancellor and Prime Minister survive, this will surely be a coup against our country and the British public: our law-makers taken over by law-breakers."

JFC, can't they do anything right. What a hopeless bunch of utterly useless cretins.

Stop matching lone female Ukraine refugees with single men, UK told

The UN refugee agency has called on the UK government to intervene to stop single British men from being matched up with lone Ukrainian women seeking refuge from war because of fears of sexual exploitation.

Following claims that predatory men are using the Homes for Ukraine scheme to target the vulnerable, the United Nations high commissioner for refugees (UNHCR) told the Guardian “a more appropriate matching process” could be put in place to ensure women and women with children are matched with families or couples.

The suggestion from the global refugee agency follows reports that Ukrainian refugees, predominantly women and sometimes accompanied by children, are at risk in the UK of sexual exploitation.

Well, I've written to my MP, asking him to write to the 1922 committee and express no confidence in the PM and his cabinet.
Yes, I used the Thatcher quote on law-breaking in government.

I'd encourage anyone else who thinks that a lying criminal is a bad choice for Prime Minister to do the same - whatever colour rosette your MP wears. Tory MPs can write to the 1922 committee, non-Tory MPs can ask their leadership to forward a motion of no confidence, and/or do a Blackford, and say that in accepting the fine, they have admitted both criminality, and lying to parliament.

3 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Fabricunt under the impression nurses and teachers hit the bevvy in the staff room as a matter of course after a busy shift.

Yeah, nurses & doctors would lose their registration and licence if we did this. He's a parody. The Royal College of Nursing released this letter after his interview

At the end of the many hours, days and years we have worked, since recognition of the pandemic, I can assure you that none of us have sought to hang out and 'have a quiet one in the staff room'. There isn't a site in England that would allow alcohol on the premises for any professional to consume during working hours.

As frontline professionals, still eadling with the implications of the pandemic - understaffed, underpaind, overworked, exhasted, burnt out and still holding it together while doing the ebst we can for our patients. It is utterly demoralising and factually incorrect to hear hear you suggest that our diligent, safet critical profession can reasonably be compared to any elected official breaking the law, at any time.

Imagine voting for these clowns.

My own experience was similar to this one

On 4/12/2022 at 8:29 PM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Ease it with the persecution complex dude.

Its a good idea that many on the left or socially progressive crowd wouldn’t disagree with just because a conservative leader proposed it—especially since it’d serve their interests.

I'm curious to know if there is a policy that Johnson has promoted that is objectively of wide appeal to left sensibilities that people on the left have roundly condemned, or sniggered at. Obviously there were a sizable number of people on the left who whole heartedly agreed with Boris that the UK should leave the EU. But he wasn't PM at that time.

If a politician on the right came out and promoted an idea that most pundits believe would favour the left parties electorally, I would be suspicious of the motives and wonder what game they are playing. But I would support the adoption of the policy. I am trying to think of a policy on this side of the world that has been proposed by the right but that favours or aligns with the left, but all I can come up with is policies from left MPs / govts that I disagreed with.

6 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I'm curious to know if there is a policy that Johnson has promoted that is objectively of wide appeal to left sensibilities that people on the left have roundly condemned, or sniggered at. 

It's not just him. Not one of them has ever done anything that can be objectively described as good for the nation. Of course, I am willing to be corrected here, but I genuinely can't think of a single thing they have ever done that was universally welcomed. Apart from abandoning Thatcher's poll tax. Oh, and all the fucking u-turns of the past couple of years.

Archived