UK Politics: Cost of Living Crisis

Raja

10 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

50 Partygate fines being issued today.

Classic anti-conservative bullying.

14 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

I can’t imagine what his defence even is? He doesn’t really say. 

It's basically 'gay people have historically been conflated with pedophiles by people trying to keep oppressing them and it is therefore impossible that any gay person ever assaulted anyone underage', blithely ignoring the tearful victim on the stand.

24 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Has the party leadership party come out and explicitly condemned and canceled blunt 

They've certainly condemned him.

21 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

I can’t imagine what his defence even is? He doesn’t really say. Also he goes with the classic non-apology of “I’m sorry my actions caused you to be upset”… classy. 

Blunt's comments were disgraceful.  Basically, Khan is the victim of homophobia, and even if he's guilty, the offence was minor.

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I mean the real reason it's happening is so that Sturgeon can try and garner as much support as she can from actual children for an independence referendum. But as you say, it's yet another pointless action that has almost no real world application or effect.. a bit like apologising to witches. 

Dude, most adults are just overgrown children. 

26 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

Johnson and Sunak both being fined

Linky

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61083402

So that's fully confirmed that the 2 most senior politicians in the country have both broken the la, and lied about it repeatedly to parliament.

That rug in the cabinet office could do with being an extra inch off the floor, I guess.

Confirmed law breaking really should trigger an automatic bye-election in that constituency, with the guilty MP barred from standing.

That damned unwritten constitution strikes again

Just got back from some lunchtime canvassing around Palmers Green.

On the doorstep, my first question was, 'Do you think Partygate is just a bit of fluff?'

Let me tell you, Jacob Rees Mogg is in for quite the shock.

(Quite why anyone, including the man himself, believes that JRM has his finger on the pulse of the people is beyond me.)

This from Robert Peston:

"The police have today concluded that the PM, the Chancellor and the PM’s wife all attended illegal parties, that breached Covid laws written by the PM. This is most serious for Boris Johnson of the three of them, because it was he who told MPs on 8 December that he had been “repeatedly assured” there were no parties and that no Covid rules were broken.

He now has the challenge of his life to prove that he did not wilfully and knowingly mislead MPs - because if he did deliberately mislead MPs then he has no choice but to resign under the code of conduct for ministers, which he signed off and approved in keeping with normal practice on becoming prime minister.

This is perhaps the most important test of the robustness and efficacy of the checks and balances in the British constitution of my lifetime.

If Tory MPs unthinkingly keep him in office without a proper and public assessment of how parliament was misled, because that is what suits them, and if they blithely ignore the Ministerial Code, then the charge will stick that this or any party with a big majority is simply an elected dictatorship, and the constitution means little or nothing. This is not just a slippery slope. It is the bottom of the slope."

Ukraine has nothing to do with why the PM should or should not resign. Does anyone seriously think that changing the occupant of Downing Street now is going to make a blind bit of difference to Ukraine's chances of survival. If anything, those chances will likely be improved by Johnson's removal.

17 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Ukraine has nothing to do with why the PM should or should not resign. Does anyone seriously think that changing the occupant of Downing Street now is going to make a blind bit of difference to Ukraine's chances of survival. If anything, those chances will likely be improved by Johnson's removal.

The travel to Ukraine to speak with Zelensky gambit makes a bit more sense. Laying the groundwork for this argument to buy time.

24 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Jeez, how many legitimate times now have people said he has to resign? It doesn’t seem like it’s going to happen.

That's why we need a complete overhaul of our democracy. The code of honour upon which it was built no longer exists.

Knowingly lying to Parliament should carry the same penalties as perjury. 

SNP's Ian Blackford says Ukraine war strengthens case for replacing Johnson

Ian Blackford, the SNP leader at Westminster, told BBC News that he is calling for parliament to be recalled on Thursday. He said Boris Johnson and Rishi Sunak should use that sitting to announce their resignations.

Asked to respond to the claims from Tory MPs that it would be wrong to remove the PM during an international crisis, Blackford replied:

That’s precisely why he should go, because there’s a cross-party consensus. We have our allies across the western world that are resolute in supporting our friends in Ukraine. But we cannot do when we have at the head of our government someone who is prepared to break the law, someone prepared to lie to parliament. He is a stain on our public life, he is a stain on our parliament. He needs to go and he needs to be replaced.

Blackford also pointed out that Neville Chamberlain was replaced as prime minister by Winston Churchill in 1940, while the second world war was underway, “because he was not considered to be fit for purpose”.

Last one from me, for a bit...

Just to say that, according to Pippa Crerar, this is probably just the first of many, possibly six, fines that are going to be issued to Johnson.

The cunt is finally toast.

Archived