Football: Roll of the Dyche

Iskaral Pust

When I watch Liverpool and City play now, they have become machines that look very sustainable provided the clubs commit to continuity.

The players show incredible positional awareness and discipline in and out of possession.  They know how they’re supposed to play, how & when to press, how to control space, etc.  It’s now an embedded institutional memory in the squad.  If new players arrive in small increments and learn the system, then the institutional memory is never lost (nor the culture).  Even if Pep or Klopp were hit by a bus tomorrow, the system can persist provided the next manager commits to continuity and doesn’t try to enforce change.  That was the real damage by Souness and Moyes: they broke the continuity of great systems and cultures.

Pep will leave City soon so Liverpool with Klopp in charge for a few more years could build up quite a boat load of trophies and dominate like they did in the 80s. I'd peg them to reclaim their spot as record league title winners easily.

Fantastic news for Liverpool. We were pretty lucky to get Klopp in the first place (he could have gone almost anywhere he wanted) and we almost certainly aren't replacing him with someone on the same level when he does leave so getting two more years with him at the helm is a big boost.

ETA: Although I could see Pep deciding to extend his contract to match his time with Klopp's. He seems to enjoy the rivalry.

Rangers success in the EL this season has raised the UEFA coefficient for the SPL, which means that the SPL champions this year will go straight into the CL group stage next season.

That’s a huge benefit that looks like will fall to Celtic, who have a six point lead in the SPL.

That’s almost as painful as 2005 when Liverpool won the CL and, as champions, pushed Everton from the group stage (despite finishing in 4th, one place above Liverpool) to the qualifying round instead, where they promptly lost to Villarreal.

9 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Jared Bowen inches away from a wonder goal there. 

This should be fun next week by the look of it.

Maybe, but on the other hand if you are lucky, you can watch watch another equally entertaining EPL game in the mould of United-Chelsea.

So the anti-Glazer protests picked up some steam again, any bets which shiny object they will throw onto the pitch this time to distract their fan base, or will they just announce they found a way to clone C. Ronaldo. Smart money is probably on Declan Rice arriving.

15 hours ago, Darryk said:

Pep will leave City soon so Liverpool with Klopp in charge for a few more years could build up quite a boat load of trophies and dominate like they did in the 80s. I'd peg them to reclaim their spot as record league title winners easily.

Why would Pep leave soon? Where is that coming from?

13 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

That’s almost as painful as 2005 when Liverpool won the CL and, as champions, pushed Everton from the group stage (despite finishing in 4th, one place above Liverpool) to the qualifying round instead, where they promptly lost to Villarreal.

Liverpool didn't push Everton anywhere. Liverpool had to play from the first qualifying round despite being reigning champions.

3 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Smart money is probably on Declan Rice arriving.

Still can't really see this. If we go for a big dumb English signing we'll surely try for Kane. And in any case though the Ronaldo thing was poor we've otherwise shown much more transfer competence since Murtogh took over, I don't think we'll get anyone ten Hag doesn't approve, and I don't think ETH is going to want to waste Rice as a defensive mid.

Archived