Canadian Politics: Brownnosing

maarsen

11 hours ago, maarsen said:

Doug Ford went to bed last night in a bad mood. Since his endorsement of Saunders, Saunders support seems to have melted away. 

Don't forget John Tory and all those establishment types who wanted Ana "status quo" Bailao. Of course, Tory - who caused this election by resigning because he couldn't keep it in his pants with a subordinate - had pledged not to be involved or to endorse anyone. And then he did just that. Didn't work out though.

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2023/06/ford-warns-chow-mayorality-will-cause-torontos-collapse-also-cause-last-13-years-of-collapse/

TORONTO – As Torontonians head to the polls in a snap mayoral election, Premier Doug Ford is warning that electing left-wing candidate Olivia Chow will not only lead to devastation for the city, but also lead to the previous 13 years of collapse.

15 hours ago, Aemon Stark said:

Don't forget John Tory and all those establishment types who wanted Ana "status quo" Bailao. Of course, Tory - who caused this election by resigning because he couldn't keep it in his pants with a subordinate - had pledged not to be involved or to endorse anyone. And then he did just that. Didn't work out though.

Yeah, people here are tired of the establishment.

The establishment has fucked this city for the last decade.

So….I’m surprised no one has mentioned that Google and Facebook are pulling off all Canadian news links in Canada in response to the federal law requiring compensation to the media publishers for sharing their content. These guys took in more than 80% of all advertising revenues in Canada and are pissed off that the new law requires them to compensate the creators of the content. 

This is supposed to happen in about six months, when the new statute, the Online News Act, comes into force. The statute was partly based on the Australian statute. I know the ban lasted only a week, I’m not sure how it ended.

7 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

So….I’m surprised no one has mentioned that Google and Facebook are pulling off all Canadian news links in Canada in response to the federal law requiring compensation to the media publishers for sharing their content. These guys took in more than 80% of all advertising revenues in Canada and are pissed off that the new law requires them to compensate the creators of the content. 

This is supposed to happen in about six months, when the new statute, the Online News Act, comes into force. The statute was partly based on the Australian statute. I know the ban lasted only a week, I’m not sure how it ended.

From what I understand, in Australia, Google was negotiating deals with the content providers, but it was Facebook that shutdown. I believe the law was amended in some way and now Facebook is negotiating (or negotiated) deals.

9 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

The horror! The horror! At leat that is what a few opinion pieces said. How will people get the news if not on Google or Facebook? This was a serious article, in a newspaper. I had to read it twice in case it was satire. 

• 4 weeks later...

This news out of Nova Scotia, man. The second missing child has been found. Drowned. Just can't.

edit: I know this a politics thread in title, it's just become the catch all for Canadian news or whatever we have the stuff to discuss

Edited by JGP

21 minutes ago, JGP said:

the catch all for Canadian news or whatever we have the stuff to discuss

And I for one am grateful that it is here and is doing these things.  Though these things are sometimes unspeakable, and there are no words.

Yeah, the aftermath is still bad in some areas. Reading the news about finding the kids was heartbreaking. They also found the remains of the older guy that was missing, and they are still looking for the teenager. Just so freaking sad. 

I mentioned it in the weather thread, but the storm Friday was just insane. We are right in the city close to the harbour, and I could walk down to it in about 20 minutes. Keyword there is 'down'. We're lucky enough to be on higher ground, so we came out unscathed, except for several hours of me dealing with a stressed out pup. I knew when the next *kaboom* was coming, because she would stop panting and shaking for a few seconds, look at me, and I just kept talking to her calmly about just nonsense through the next boom. I literally had to get a towel early in the storm to cover me and try to catch all the panting drool. It mostly worked. 

The only good thing that came out of it, and I'm not being glib just looking for a smidge of...something...was the video of the beavers swimming up the flooded Bedford Highway. Crazy.

On 7/27/2023 at 8:57 AM, Zorral said:

Inspired by Gandhi, couple goes on hunger strike over pickleball noise
Rajnish and Harpreet Dhawan say noises from nearby pickleball courts have caused a variety of medical issues

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/07/26/pickleball-hunger-strike-noise-chilliwack-canada/

I’m not quite sure what to make of that story. Seems kind of funny— but maybe them pickle balls sound like meteoric impacts or something lol

—-

Getting up before dawn tomorrow to catch a ferry, then heading into the interior of BC with the girls to see their Grandpa.

Not looking forward to the drive as I’m going to have to warn them that he’s been pretty sick, as it’ll be evident once they see him at 125lbs [fuck]

Turns out it’s a large tumor in his stomach causing the inability to keep down foodstuffs any thicker than an Ensure or Boost, so… yeah.

Been trying to keep it light but it’s hit me pretty hard over the last three weeks. Think I’m near the right place now however, to deal with the fallout from the girls so they can be where they’ll need to for the visit.

Maybe. Guess we’ll see.

• 2 weeks later...