Football: When God shuts a window, he opens a new one in January.

A Horse Named Stranger

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

I guess if sports-washing oil magnates can pass the "fit and proper" test, so can the educationally subnormal as long as they have money.

Is that really fair? This is the same guy who runs the Dodgers and they've been the best team overall in MLB for several years now. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Is that really fair? This is the same guy who runs the Dodgers and they've been the best team overall in MLB for several years now. 

It is the same guy who proposed Chelsea play 4-4-3 to Tuchel, so yes, fair.

Baseball ≠ Football.

Early days for Boehly, so fair chance that he will learn a thing or two down the line. FSG had to learn that, too.

And no, nobody is interested in an All Star Game (whenever Boehly might think he could fit it into the calendar). In the EPL it would effectively be (Greater) London vs. the Liverpool and Manchester teams + eventually Newcastle (to keep our Copper happy). 

On the other hand, I am kinda surprised at the lack of Matip cheering by our resident scousers.

7 hours ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Barca were the better team in the first half but they quickly fell apart early in the second. 2-0 now, Sane is exploding this season it seems.

Remains to be seen, he started quite hot last season (after being widely criticized for his performances) only to fizzle out and produce meh performances in the second half of the season. When Sane is good, he is good. He just hasn't shown that he can keep it up over a whole season at Bayern.

17 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Nobody is interested in an All Star Game (whenever Boehly might think he could fit it into the calendar). In the EPL it would effectively be (Greater) London vs. the Liverpool and Manchester teams + eventually Newcastle (to keep our Copper happy). 

I have no interest in an all star game, but more than I do have in the charity shield, they could use that slot in the diary for all I care. 

We already have an All-Star game, it’s when Man City play Liverpool ( right now maybe not so much)

We don’t have the playing field levelling of American sports, if there are any ‘stars’ that don’t play for the very top teams this year well then they will get bought by them next year. 

If they did do these matches you are really just getting Man City vs the players Man City have discarded, didn’t buy or didn’t want, and some Liverpool players. Not really the spirit or ALLSTAR.

12 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

In other news, the new Chelsea owner is talking about a PL All-Star game. Would there be interest in that? 

The new Chelsea owner can bugger off. If he wanted an All-Star game, he should've bought an MLS team.

47 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Yeah, Boehly clearly doesn't get that in football you can't just throw a bunch of footballers together and expect them to play well. Which explains why he fired Tuchel, I suppose.

Sigh, you can't do it with any sport. Stop acting like this one is so unique. Shit, half the matches I watch it looks like the players have never trained with one another. 

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Sigh, you can't do it with any sport. Stop acting like this one is so unique. Shit, half the matches I watch it looks like the players have never trained with one another. 

While this is true, usually the All Stars Game in the NBA works well enough- partially because it's easier with less players, in a court smaller than a football field. 

7 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

Lol. Wait til the penny finally drops that it's impossible to make any money out of Chelsea FC unless they move out of Stamford Bridge. 

Cobham M25 FC is gonna be hilarious. 

It would be impossible to make money if he paid half what they did. It was a spectacularly overvalued purchase. 

11 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

While this is true, usually the All Stars Game in the NBA works well enough- partially because it's easier with less players, in a court smaller than a football field. 

The NBA All-Star game is still pretty bad, but not nearly as terrible as the Pro Bowl. Idk many people who watch either TBH.

10 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Let's put this to bed now, other than @Tywin et al. is there a single other person who wants an all star game, or thinks its remotely a good idea or would ever take off? 

When did I say I wanted it? My only comment was it probably wouldn’t be a very good product. I was just asking if there’d be any interest for it which the answer is clearly no.

Btw. can we appreciate the Squires cartoon from yesterday, it's brilliant especially, sicne he had no matchday action to work with. The final panel with Klopp about to explode, but being forced to watch his tongue over the post-poned fixtures. :lmao:

Archived