Cyberpunk 2078

Werthead

11 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

imagine if every GTA game was set in vice city...even that city was incredible for its time but the sequels took risk and took us to new areas. I love NC but i think this world is rich enough to expand beyond it

The difference is that Cyberpunk has an established and detailed lore that goes well beyond any single game, and Night City is the default and central focus.

There are sourcebooks for America, Europe, and the Pacific Rim. I guess something where they go, "You think GTA is big? You thought Night City was big? How about Night City AND the Fort Worth-Dallas Metroplex AND Warsaw of the Polish People's Republic in a globe-trotting adventure"

But I'll be shocked if they actually just leave Night City behind as a central play area.

It's an interesting one. In Cyberpunk lore, Night City is the only 100% original, completely-created-from-scratch city and because of that was the most popular location. But there were entire campaign expansions detailing Texas, New York, Seattle, Britain, Japan, the orbital stations etc. Night City is the most iconic location in the setting but it's not the only one, and they could easily move to another city. It'd just be a bit odd because the other cities are real cities, extrapolated out from where they are today.

It might be truer to say that Night City is to Cyberpunk what Liberty City is to GTA, the ur-city and core location and the one they'll always come back to, but they'll also visit Vice City and Los Santos along the way (and, er, London in the 1960s).

In Shadowrun the most iconic location is arguably Seattle, but when they did the Shadowrun Returns trilogy, they also set instalments in Berlin and Hong Kong.

Edited by Werthead

I can imagine a second game that goes similar to GTA 5, where it takes place in three different cities that you can go between them. One of those could be Night City at some point in the future - maybe a post-ending thing.

Texas would honestly be kind of garbage. The only value I could see there is doing with a NUSA civil war thing going on, but...meh. 

Googling around and apparently a dev said they were looking forward to showcasing Night City's full potential in Unreal Engine 5... so, grain a salt, yeah, NC is at least going to be a part of the sequel.

There were a couple of sourcebooks about space, as Wert said. An orbital station like the Crystal Palace would be cool, or maybe a lunar colony...

Ah, well, it's awhile away yet. :)

6 hours ago, IFR said:

I generally don't like video games. The recent games I've played and enjoyed were heavily story oriented, such as Disco Elysium and Pentiment.

This game is phenomenal fun. It has absolutely captured the feel of the cyberpunk genre, the Neuromancer/Snow Crash atmosphere. Love it.

I know what you mean, I got back into gaming  properly after a 3 year break because of cyberpunk, and haven’t done a 100+ hour play through since Skyrim or Witcher 3

I think the non-lore argument in favour of continuing with Night City is that they invested so much in the architectural design of the city. I'd love to see them expand it and fill in more of the vertical space etc, but there's too much there to just throw it away. Especially if they've got a somewhat effective way for exporting assets from Red Engine and importing into UE5.

Apparently (according to the mod page for the fix) the skill rewards have finally been fixed even though it's not in the notes. My hope is that they also did something to increase the drop rates of those cyberware capacity shards and I'm content.

5 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Patch 2.02 just dropped, btw guys am i just getting older or are game patch sizes even for minor updates fucking huge these days ? this one is about 15 GB on PC. Same with BG3 and other modern games

Yes. This is probably just something we are going to have to get used to.

And today, I finished the game -- 100%, having left The Devil ending as my final ending to do. What a downer of an ending in a lot of ways, although

Spoiler

I guess in theory once you're Engramed there's no reason why you can't also go on out to Earth and live your last days... or try and find some alternative fix, with Panam or Mr. Blue Eyes or Reed.

I think this is probably the first game I've ever gotten 100% on.

Enjoying the hell out of the Johnny reunion concert quest and his date with rogue, it’s a testament to the quality of the quests that I enjoy these personal, character driven ones way more than the combat set piece focused ones.Been doing a lot of the quirky side quests like the one with Bernard the vending machine, skippy the gun, the zen master etc all so much better than the typical fetch quests found in other games. 

Btw guys there are atleast 2 hidden quests other than the free caliburn  and weapon car you can acquire in the game. 

1) go to the high end clothing store in city centre, Talk to the vendor and then come back again in a day to talk to him again to trigger it. 

2) search for” the highwayman “on cyberpunk wiki, hidden quest gives you a nice motorcycle 

All other quests are marked by exclamation marks I believe. 

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

I've 100%ed a few games, but mostly very linear games where you literally unlock every achievement just through doing the bare minimum to complete the game. I did also 100% the two Subnautica games, but the optional stuff to reach that score is really not very onerous.

The most insane 100% requirements are definitely for Final Fantasy XIV. After more than a decade and millions of people playing it, exactly one (1) person has 100%ed the game.

I did occur to me a very obvious thing to do for the sequel is to actually not do a sequel. Instead go back in time. The current tabletop version, Cyberpunk Red, takes place in 2045 and does a good job of showing a city between the events of OG Cyberpunk 2013/20 and Cyberpunk 2077. They've already shown a somewhat lower-tech version of the city in the flashback missions with Johnny, you avoid any discussion of V's fate, you can have Easter Eggs with some familiar characters showing up (Rogue seems a shoe-in) but mostly newcomers. IIRC, at this time Arasaka does not have a presence in Night City so you can also roll back the most over-represented megacorp and perhaps shine a light on some of the others.

Personally I want to see what happens with the next corpo war (probably) about to kick off. Not sure if I want to be involved or to have another personal story like V's against that back drop, maybe both? Give me more Cyberpunk games, more I say.

If they add as many songs for the radio in a sequel as they had in this first game, they can keep the current ones at a lower rate of circulation and have twice as much music to make it feel more alive as well.

45 minutes ago, karaddin said:

If they add as many songs for the radio in a sequel as they had in this first game, they can keep the current ones at a lower rate of circulation and have twice as much music to make it feel more alive as well.

I really wish the new radio stations would be released online as albums, the way all the other ones have. 

/refreshes Spotify sixteen-thousand times.

Night FM, Growl, Body Heat and 30 Principales are my favourite channels!  The music in the radio and the environment is sooo good! It’s the reason I never fast travel in this game.That and the stunning visuals 

Btw does bolt work properly with Lizzie’s gun, feedback circuit (which requires fully charged shots), and tech weapons which apply poisons,bleeding etc. or does it negate all of it ? Planning to switch out my mantis blades with the arm projectiles since I’m maxed out on tech and melee other than throwing knives isn’t working out for me on hard mode. 

5 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

No prequels are boring, give me a sequel set 50 years later instead !

Is there an upper limit to either Cyberware or Armour or I can keep sharding it up ? 

Once you hit a certain level, Cyberware Capacity Shards stop dropping. There are ways to dupe them and get like 700 capacity, but bit of a cheat. Most people end up in the 300-350 area.

ETA: I recommend listening to Morro Rock to pick up the DJ's commentary on conspiracy theories and so on about Night City. The DJ is voiced by Mike Pondsmith himself, creator of the Cyberpunk RPG.

Edited by Ran

Finished reading Big City Dreams, it was good although really short, bought a few more graphic novels like You Have My Word,  but I really wish someone would write a nice, long series of novels set in this universe which would satiate me till the next game and can also re read it. The world definitely has the potential for it.Something like an Altered Carbon.