MLB 2024: The Reign of Shohei

Myshkin

Adolis Garcia was a bat-only, 1-skill AAAA guy when the Cardinals had like 8 outfield prospects in the mix. I absolutely thought he was expendable, as did the FO, as did every fan I remember on message boards etc back then. The Rangers gave up on him too, but he stuck around and now he's an absolute legend. I'm happy for him.

Arozarena was similar - he had better stats in MiLB but was also deemed expendable by just about all of us. It's silly when I hear other Cards fans bitch about our lost prospects in the post-season. The Braves shoulda held onto their hometown kid Wainwright. 29 other teams should have drafted Pujols. The Phils should have been better to Rolen. Same for the Rockies and Arenado. Teams whiff on future winning players constantly in every sport.

I hope Adolis hits three homers every game. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

You have an extra 0 there. It's only holy shit.

Whoops. 

Good for him, but this contract is risky. I've heard and read a few good arguments that over the past few years his AAV should actually be higher than that, but if he can only pitch for a few more seasons the back end of this deal could suck. 

So the Angels have to trade Trout now, right? 

Edited by Tywin et al.

Well, even if he can't pitch several of the years, he's going to generate colossal amounts of revenue for the Dodgers. It sounds like they're in the running for Yamamoto. Might be a billion dollars of contracts going to those two from one team - and there'd be a blue baseball cap on half the heads in Toyko for a few years.

Yeah but there still is revenue caps that inhibit going past limits. And I don’t think hats or jerseys is going to cover that all. But yeah the dodgers last year clearly were prepping for this by shedding payroll. And Ohtani clearly had his eyes on them with the deferred payment he proposed. Don’t love that my team just got used as leverage in this but at the end of the day he’s just a DH. He’s just not durable enough as a fulltime pitcher. Heck by the time he can even pitch again he’ll be 31. And as a DH there are others like Alvarez that I’d rather have than him.

Holy shit 2.0:

The Athletic's Fabian Ardaya reported that Ohtani "will defer $68 million per year of his $70 million annual salary over the course of his 10-year, $700 million deal with the Dodgers."

That means Ohtani will only be paid $2 million over the next 10 seasons, with the remaining $680 million deferred until the end of his deal.

Not only will this help the Dodgers pursue other top free agents during his tenure in Los Angeles, but it also helps the franchise manage its luxury tax situation.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/shohei-ohtani-contract-details-x-mlb-record/e7add2f666892d7d050004b9?utm_term=news,mlb&utm_medium=browser_notifications&utm_source=pushly&utm_content=US&utm_campaign=Shohei Ohtani to defer $680 million of his contract until 2034

Are we going to make it to Mars before that deal is paid off?

Don’t think MLB will let them defer that much for cap purposes (well technically for luxury tax purposes). But it will let them defer money and save them some money by paying later. Pretty sure you can’t just say Ohtani is a 2 million dollar luxury tax hit. But yes the dodgers will have more money now to spend as they go over the tax.

edit: according to an ESPN article it will work out as 46 million cap hit. I expect that to be challenged though either now or at next bargaining talks. NHL used to have crazy long deals like this but they don’t exist anymore.

Edited by Arakasi

11 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Somewhere out there, Bobby Bonilla is chuckling.

I don't remember the details, but he also got that contract controlled for either inflation or with interest. Either way it's an all-time contract. Idk why we don't see more deals like since it seems like a win-win for the player and club. 

That said, Idk how the league can allow that much money to be deferred. 

33 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I don't remember the details, but he also got that contract controlled for either inflation or with interest. Either way it's an all-time contract. Idk why we don't see more deals like since it seems like a win-win for the player and club. 

That said, Idk how the league can allow that much money to be deferred. 

Apparently Jeff Passant says in the collective bargaining agreement there's no limit on deferrals.

15 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Apparently Jeff Passant says in the collective bargaining agreement there's no limit on deferrals.

That's wild. If kids and grandkids can collect I'd try to make a 100 year deal if I could get it with interest.