UK Politics: Mone, Mone, Mone. It's not funny. It's a rich toff's world.

Spockydog

The government's latest plan for dealing with people wanting to be paid more:

They want to coax people who have taken early retirement back into work so as to increase the labour pool and put downward pressure on wages. To do this they are going to give them "midlife MoT"s to "assess finances and opportunities for work".

Basically they plan to say "you thought you could retire early but, now we have completely screwed up the economy, you can no longer afford to and, to stop you ending up staving in old age, you are going to have to go back to work and probably take a McJob".

Back in my hometown. Saw four people with trolleys and bags prepping to spend the night in shop doorways. Hometown has just opened a brand new market (opposite two of the rough sleepers) which is full of rather pricey eateries to replace the bog standard indoor market it used to have. 

That's the first time I've seen people sleeping rough in the town centre – elsewhere, sadly, yes, many times (Cardiff Queen Street notably) but the first time there. Feels as if society is fissuring. 

5 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Rishi Sunak’s latest photo opportunity. The fucking cringe … asking a homeless guy if he works in business.

Edit: Insee Spockydog’s posted it few mins earlier

Hang on, the guy starts a conversation about business and says he’s interested in business and finance. Bit of an odd stick to beat Rishi with on this.

I say odd. It’s dishonest 

43 minutes ago, dog-days said:

I can't actually make out Steve (the homeless man's) replies at the start, or whatever it is Sunak says as he passes the salt. Later on Sunak isn't malicious, but he does appear to be living in cloud-cuckoo-land. 

Agreed. The tweet makes it look as though Sunak brought up business when apropos of nothing.Steve mumbled something about business and Sunak genuinely inquired.

Sunak may be an awful elitist prick(like most tories), but this isn’t worth digging him over.

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Agreed. The tweet makes it look as though Sunak brought up business when apropos of nothing.Steve mumbled something about business and Sunak genuinely inquired.

Sunak may be an awful elitist prick(like most tories), but this isn’t worth digging him over.

Oh no. I think it's a tremendously stupid spiel to launch into, and people should absolutely be inquiring whether they want someone with that little imagination and knowledge of life as PM. Rake him over the coals by all means. I will bring vegan marshmallows. Steve mumbling the word 'business' isn't a get-out clause. It adds context, but Sunak still looks pathetic. 

2 minutes ago, dog-days said:

Steve mumbling the word 'business' isn't a get-out clause. It adds context, but Sunak still looks pathetic. 

I honestly don’t think that’s fair—Sunak simply inquired if Steve worked in business—past tense—Steve did, and Sunak inquired as to what specifically, Steve provided details, and Sunak asked if Steve was trying to get back into it.

I do think he was lucky Steve didn’t mistake Sunak inquiry as a job offer.

Rough transcript:

Sunak: Do you have a - do you work in a business?

Steve: No, I'm homeless, and actually I'm a homeless person. I'm interested in business. 

Sunak: Yeah, what kind of business? 

Steve: I like finance - it's good for the city. When finance and stuff do well, we all do well, don't we?

Sunak: Yeah, that's absolutely right. I used to work in finance actually. 

Steve: Yeah, I heard. Ex-investment banker.

Sunak: Yeah. Yeah, I did lots of different things, but you're right. The good thing now is it's not just London. If you look at all the jobs in finance around the UK, the majority of them are outside of London now.  So it's spread across the UK. Is that something you'd like to get into?

Steve: Yeah, I wouldn't mind...but...I dunno. I'd like to get through Christmas first.

Sunak: Yeah? What's the plan, what you're doing this weekend?

Steve: Eh, no idea I'm hoping that the - er - St Mungo's can help me get into some temporary accommodation so I'm not on the street.

Steve comes across as someone either pretty smart and socially adroit by bringing up finance - or as someone who's been prepped by one of Sunak's minders in the ten seconds between Sunak putting his apron on and the cameras starting rolling. 

Sunak is doing alright minus his slip with "do you have a - do you work in a business?", but then launches into his weird Sunak political broadcast. Yay, finance. So do you, homeless guy, want a job in finance, the proudly elitist sector of the economy where private education, attendance at a Russell Group university, the right degree, the right internship and Vitamin C (i.e. the right connections) feature prominently on many CVs. 

And then there's his odd cheery question - "Yeah? What's the plan, what you're doing this weekend?" As if he expects Steve to tell him that he's going to his family's house for Christmas dinner then playing charades. 

10 minutes ago, dog-days said:

Sunak is doing alright minus his slip with "do you have a - do you work in a business?", but then launches into his weird Sunak political broadcast. Yay, finance. So do you, homeless guy, want a job in finance, the proudly elitist sector of the economy where private education, attendance at a Russell Group university, the right degree, the right internship and Vitamin C (i.e. the right connections) feature prominently on many CVs

I think there may be a lot of projection here.

I have issue with him being there in the first place. This fucking billionaire, in his thousand-pound cashmere jumper, gurning for the cameras, whilst desperately flailing for political clout by showing how much he cares about the homeless.

GTFOH.

The dude he was talking to is in all likelihood homeless due to policies Sunak has championed and voted for.

Speaking of bullshit. Is anyone falling for the latest Tory PR claptrap?

Sunak, instead of addressing the nation during the direst Christmas I can ever remember, is randomly ringing up public servants (who most definitely haven't been pre-screened and pre-briefed so they don't just tell him to go fuck himself) out of the blue, to thank them for their hard work and public service.

I'm sure they'd all prefer a pay rise.

What a cunt.

Just now, Spockydog said:

Sunak, instead of addressing the nation during the direst Christmas I can ever remember, is randomly ringing up public servants (who most definitely haven't been pre-screened and pre-briefed so they don't tell him to go fuck himself. Oh, no.) out of the blue, to thank them for their hard work and public service.

I'm sure they'd all prefer a pay rise.

If I get the phonecall I promise to do you all proud. 

https://archive.vn/2022.12.24-182649/https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tories-plot-to-put-sir-keir-starmer-on-the-spot-over-gender-law-xcg9s5xb0

Sigh, I fear Starmer will buckle and throw trans people under the bus to appeal to the type of Conservative voter who’d vote for the tories if not farther right wing parties(reform Ukip)  any way.

The Labour leader has already faced criticism from the Harry Potter author JK Rowling, who said earlier this year that his stance was “yet another indication that the Labour party can no longer be counted on to defend women’s rights.”

I’m reminded on her silence on Roe V Wade getting repelled.

Starmer unless he goes even more bigoted towards trans people(which he can’t do without losing a lot of people) will never win over Terfs. 

Cis-women are 50%+/- of the population. Efforts in support of the rights of a tiny % of the population who are trans are no threat to cis-women. The biggest threat to women's rights is cis-men. Rowling and her ilk would do well to remember that.

Archived