Heresy 245 The Alpha and the Omega and what lies between

Black Crow

55 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

If we're talking about the BBC show Merlin, maybe. I haven't seen it myself, but Merlin is supposed to be quite young there.

No, The Winter King.  Their Merlin is all wrong. 

17 hours ago, LadySage said:

@LynnS @Melifeather Wheel of Time really got it together for Season Two. Hearted it! Also am enjoying The Winter King :) Good stuff.

Wheel of Time is fantastic.  Way beyond my expectations.  Didn't get through all the books but I gave book 1 a listen on audiobooks.  And well, I didn't finish it. I think it's a pacing problem.

4 hours ago, LongRider said:

Merlin puts folks to sleep with a wave of his hand and is eternally young?   :bang:   Might I suggest you read the series as @Melifeather also suggests?   Seriously, you’re in for a good story and great writing.

Well, yes of course I'm in for a good story.    I imagine there is a lot of internal dialogue that doesn't translate to screen.  I was a bit turned off in episode 5 when Mordred was formally recognized as high king.  But I did not like watching the human sacrifice scene.  I really can do without that stuff.

@Melifeather  I've watched ep 8 now and I can't say that I like it all that much.  There are no characters that appeal to me.  However, I think people have to make up their own minds about it and I don't want to put anyone off watching it.  I think the books are probably better than this rendition of it.  I have been listening to The Last Kingdom audiobook and I like it much more.  I still prefer Mary Stewart's books on Merlin for an historical novel of Arthurian tales.

5 hours ago, LynnS said:

@Melifeather  I've watched ep 8 now and I can't say that I like it all that much.  There are no characters that appeal to me.  However, I think people have to make up their own minds about it and I don't want to put anyone off watching it.  I think the books are probably better than this rendition of it.  I have been listening to The Last Kingdom audiobook and I like it much more.  I still prefer Mary Stewart's books on Merlin for an historical novel of Arthurian tales.

At least you've made me feel better about not paying for the MGM+ streaming service just to finish it! I think whomever wrote the script was confused about who the main character was. Bernard Cornwell's main character is usually on every page, because he writes his stories in the first person, and Derfel Cadarn is the narrator of the Winter King trilogy. I'm sure the show is struggling with that concept and wants to place Arthur front and center and that confusion is what is mucking it up.

• 5 weeks later...

On GRRMs not-a-blog he mentioned spending 2 1/2 weeks in London. While there he saw his publisher for ASOIAF to talk about The Winds of Winter. He doesn't specifically describe what was discussed. He does mention that he was still working on the novel after his visit stating he has "so much work to be done". Do we dare hope that he's now in the editing stage of the book?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/25/2023 at 3:34 AM, LynnS said:

Merry Christmas, Festivus, Winter Solstice or Hogswatch Day - whatever you celebrate, I hope it's a good one.

For some foot the ball hilarity, check out Ted Lasso series on Apple TV.

@LynnS As it turns out, a good friend had also recommended Ted Lasso, which my wife and I completed a few weeks ago.  Outstanding!  Without divulging too much, my wife found a recipe for the "Ted Lasso Biscuits".  Let's just say that when you taste them you will tell yourself..."f*** me.

Oh...back on the subject at hand.  Part of my daily routine (morning rituals) is to visit this site (specifically Heresy @Black Crow) to make sure that I'm not missing anything.  I'm looking for a smart response from my keyboard,  but that might be what George is asking from his.  It aint there.

I just wanted to check in with everyone and let you know......I miss you.  So many good writers and literary critics and analysisers.  I simply can't do what you guys/gals do.  So here is a call out to a few that have inspried me over the years....this list is not meant to exclude anyone who has contributed.  I merely wanted to mention a few in hopes that thay might say hello and check in.

In no particualr order:

@evita mgfs

@Frey family reunion

@Grey Words

@Little Wing

@Lummel

@Toccs

@wolfmaid7

The list is only a start and not intended to represent all that have contributed.  It was a spur of the moment, and let me end this long post with one more call out:

@Black Crow

3 hours ago, Mace Cooterian said:

Without divulging too much, my wife found a recipe for the "Ted Lasso Biscuits". 

I want that recipe!  The biscuit scenes were just hilarious.  Great acting all around.  The soccer player from Mexico killed me.

16 hours ago, Mace Cooterian said:

@LynnS As it turns out, a good friend had also recommended Ted Lasso, which my wife and I completed a few weeks ago.  Outstanding!  Without divulging too much, my wife found a recipe for the "Ted Lasso Biscuits".  Let's just say that when you taste them you will tell yourself..."f*** me.

Oh...back on the subject at hand.  Part of my daily routine (morning rituals) is to visit this site (specifically Heresy @Black Crow) to make sure that I'm not missing anything.  I'm looking for a smart response from my keyboard,  but that might be what George is asking from his.  It aint there.

I just wanted to check in with everyone and let you know......I miss you.  So many good writers and literary critics and analysisers.  I simply can't do what you guys/gals do.  So here is a call out to a few that have inspried me over the years....this list is not meant to exclude anyone who has contributed.  I merely wanted to mention a few in hopes that thay might say hello and check in.

In no particualr order:

@evita mgfs

@Frey family reunion

@Grey Words

@Little Wing

@Lummel

@Toccs

@wolfmaid7

The list is only a start and not intended to represent all that have contributed.  It was a spur of the moment, and let me end this long post with one more call out:

@Black Crow

Speaking of Frey family reunion, he started a thread that has some legs if you are so inclined to join the discussion.

20 minutes ago, Melifeather said:

Speaking of Frey family reunion, he started a thread that has some legs if you are so inclined to join the discussion.

Yes, it's interesting.  I haven't thought of those passages in quite that way before.  I'm not sure how you get around the notion that she was unaware of what she was doing.  But the idea that memory suppression is at play is not out of the question.  We've seen that with Bran and possibly Ned.  We've also seen Sansa go into a fugue state at the Eyrie.  I can stay open about this one.

On 2/7/2024 at 2:11 AM, LynnS said:

I want that recipe!  The biscuit scenes were just hilarious.  Great acting all around.  The soccer player from Mexico killed me.

Since we don't have new material to discuss, I suppose it's okay to post the recipe (thanks BC):

• 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspons almond extract
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
  • coars sugar for topping (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350F and line an 8x8-inch pan with parchment on the all sides.  Set aside.

In a food precessor, combine the flour, sugar, salt, vanilla, almond and butter.  Pulse until just combined and the mixture starts to form a dough around the blades of the food processor.

Pressure the dough into the prepared pan using your hands to spread the dough into an even layer.

Sprinkle the tops of the bars generously with coarse sugar.

Bake at 350F for 35 to 40 minutes or until just light golden brown.  Take out of th oven and allow the bars to cool completely before clining the bards into your desired size.

Don't forget to tell yourself...."f*** me"!

Oh, and by the way...something smart the half-man said!

16 minutes ago, Mace Cooterian said:

Don't forget to tell yourself...."f*** me"!

Well, f*** me! and thanks for the recipe.  I got the big mixer out today for making molasses-ginger cookies tomorrow.  But damn, I'll give Ted Lasso cookies a try as well.