Covid 48: The Long March

Darzin

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I'm getting mine at the end of this month so it's definitely out there. I'm considered at risk because of Asthma so I get offered pretty early in a cycle.

Same with me. Got asthma, and prescribed immune suppressants for Crohn’s Diseas (albeit just been re-prescribed them, was told to stop ehen Covid first hit)

As pharmacies seem to be the only places to get one's vaccinations these days for so many of us, particularly covid and flu shots -- well Walgreen's staff have gone out on strike due to unsafe working conditions.

I'm very happy I was able to get a covid shot so soon after the new one was released.  But now I've been trying to schedule appt. for flu and pneumonia -- and of course Walgreens is out of the question  -- and CVS?????? Any place remotely close to me -- there aren't any!  The closest that provided an appt. for flu and pneumonia is down by the World Trade Ctr.!  WTF?????????

All this, on top of everything else going on in the nation and globally, is boding very badly.

• 2 weeks later...

Judge busts Trump lawyers for wanting COVID trial delay but refusing to wear masks

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-new-york-trial-cohen/

.... "As Judge Engoron notes, no one on the defense side is wearing a mask, even though they are free to," MSNBC analyst Lisa Rubin reported. "Louis Solomon, for the AG's side, masked, stands, and insists he has followed all CDC guidelines for isolating, testing, and masking."

"Masks are available. We are going to proceed," Engoron said. ....

Read a MSM article about a study that suggests some gastrointestinal fungi (mostly Candida spp) may increase severity of C-19 symptoms. Interesting if further studies confirm it to be true. Along with a C-19 RAT, people at risk due to underlying pre-conditions could be recommended to test themselves for certain fungi and possibly undergo a course of anti-fungal treatments to reduce the risk of severe symptoms.

Probably a wee way to go before the medical profession can recommend specific courses of action, but could be a partial explanation for why some people get it bad and other people with very similar risk profiles don't.

https://theconversation.com/could-gut-fungi-be-linked-to-severe-covid-what-to-make-of-new-research-findings-216084

Last week Fry's grocery stores sent me a notification telling me that it was time for (yet another) booster, so I scheduled a shot on Monday.

It was my first Moderna vaccination, mixed up for the current dominant strain of the virus according to the nurse.  He is a Marine, and he noted that I am "a good soldier" since I automatically come in and get the shots when summoned by the all-knowing computer systems of Arizona grocery purveyors.  We laughed, but I as far as I know, I haven't come down with the sickness yet.

There were a couple of nurses also getting a flu or Covid shot, and they were doubling up with an RSV vaccine.  They had a lot of horror stories they wanted me to hear about RSV, telling me I should be sure and get that one.

Having learned the lessons of the past, this time it was just the booster, and no second shot for the flu, which they gave me the first of the month.  In the past I have been efficient and doubled up on shots (Shingles + flu, Covid + flu, etc.), and the after-effects of nausea aren't my favorite.

I didn't experience any nausea or digestive issues from the Moderna booster, but holy cats was my arm sore the next day.  Even today I can still tell where it went in.

But it beats getting actually sick.

56 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I didn't experience any nausea or digestive issues from the Moderna booster, but holy cats was my arm sore the next day.  Even today I can still tell where it went in.

But it beats getting actually sick.

It's so interesting, the variety of reactions.  Sometimes, the soreness has to do with the skill of the person administering it.

I didn't have a sore arm this time at all!  I did have a reaction as usual, but it was milder than the previous ones.

I got Spikevax + flu shot at the same time, and it did kick my ass for the next 2 days. Got it on a Sunday, and everyone told me I was an idiot who didnt schedule it for a Friday. Anyway, since I have a CGM on one arm, both shots went in the other, but not sure if double shooting contributed to extra soreness (doubt it, most of the soreness appeared more localized in the covid shot area).

I havent officially caught Covid yet since the beginning of the pandemic. I say officially since all the home tests I've conducted have shown up negative. Who knows if I've had a low symptom episode sometime in these 3.5 years though.

2 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I got Spikevax + flu shot at the same time, and it did kick my ass for the next 2 days. Got it on a Sunday, and everyone told me I was an idiot who didnt schedule it for a Friday. Anyway, since I have a CGM on one arm, both shots went in the other, but not sure if double shooting contributed to extra soreness (doubt it, most of the soreness appeared more localized in the covid shot area).

I havent officially caught Covid yet since the beginning of the pandemic. I say officially since all the home tests I've conducted have shown up negative. Who knows if I've had a low symptom episode sometime in these 3.5 years though.

Same. I do remember a period, early in the pandemic, where my sense of taste was a muted. I found myself over-seasoning everything and nothing sweet ever seemed to be sweet enough. No other symptoms though. It never occurred to me that it might be Covid until after the fact. But who knows?

My last Covid shot gave me no problems I can recall. I got the flu shot about a week ago. I had a little soreness around the injection site and mild symptoms that were gone by the next day. No big deal.  

4 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I havent officially caught Covid yet since the beginning of the pandemic.

Neither have I.  Partner did, a very mild case > Paxlovid.  But only once, and he's out and and about All the Time, whereas I'm far more discretionary, always weighing how much doing something where there are numbers of strangers inside risking covid.  Flying to Spain is worth it; going to a movie isn't.

But still, one could get it any time.  I've been very lucky, so far.  I keep hoping that the longer I avoid getting a case the less deadly it would be -- unlike back in 2020, etc.

Just came home from a doctor’s visit. I’ve had a persistent little cough for almost two years that recently got worse, My doctor thinks it might be related to acid-reflux, and the last time he saw me two months ago he wanted to know if I wanted a prescription antacid. I declined, but since then it’s worse I asked for one. He wondered if possibly I had Covid, so we did the rapid test and, thank the gods, I was clear. I just attended a baby shower on Saturday and my friend is 8 months pregnant. I was afraid, I have to admit. He also referred me to a respirologist, (sp?) thinking it could possibly be late-onset asthma. Ugh.

But while I was there I got the extra strong flu shot. They used to also do Covid shots, but that’s completely in the hands of pharmacies now. I’ll get my Pfizer booster next week.

8 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Just came home from a doctor’s visit. I’ve had a persistent little cough for almost two years that recently got worse, My doctor thinks it might be related to acid-reflux, and the last time he saw me two months ago he wanted to know if I wanted a prescription antacid. I declined, but since then it’s worse I asked for one. He wondered if possibly I had Covid, so we did the rapid test and, thank the gods, I was clear. I just attended a baby shower on Saturday and my friend is 8 months pregnant. I was afraid, I have to admit. He also referred me to a respirologist, (sp?) thinking it could possibly be late-onset asthma. Ugh.

But while I was there I got the extra strong flu shot. They used to also do Covid shots, but that’s completely in the hands of pharmacies now. I’ll get my Pfizer booster next week.

Have you been x-rayed? A persistent cough for two years is a concern.

2 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Yes, last week. All clear. Using the word cough is almost misleading, it was so tiny, like clearing my throat. Only recently has the cough became stronger. 

51 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I’m thinking it’s the start of a cold.

I hope not.

This thing we can get -- if in supply -- over the counter, called here Mucinex, is good with that congestion that leads to coughing that isn't necessarily from actual sickness.

16 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

I took the antacid tonight, and I saw that in the information sheet the pharmacy attaches, one of the stated uses for the med is, “It relieves symptoms such as cough that doesn’t go away”. I have to say, once I told my doctor about the cough he immediately said it was likely related to acid reflux. It was so minor I had never mentioned it before.