Silo (Apple TV series based on Hugh Howey’ “Wool”)(spoiler for show)

I haven’t been this compelled to watch a new series in ages so the trailers did a good job. I haven’t watched a weekly episodic series in quite awhile. And the first thing I thought about was this site to discuss it so I look forward to watching it and discussing it with you all ^_^ 

Gosh, that whole generator segment was the most tense I’ve felt watching TV  in a long time. I was genuinely on the edge of my seat. I LOVE high stakes episodes where something needs to be fixed at the potential cost of others lives - the bravery, hard work, skills and thanklessness it shows is such a potent mix. Really great social commentary in a way. These people in “the down deep” who are faceless and nameless to those “up toppers” just saved all of their lives. 

Will post tomorrow regarding the three episodes as I've just finished them. We should probably keep the thread book spoiler free ( or at least mark them), cause I don't think that many of us have read it but we probably don't need spoiler tags for show spoilers

Not *as* into the show as others, might be cause I've read the books and am not super engaged in the story atm but will post more late.r

20 minutes ago, Raja said:

Will post tomorrow regarding the three episodes as I've just finished them. We should probably keep the thread book spoiler free ( or at least mark them), cause I don't think that many of us have read it but we probably don't need spoiler tags for show spoilers

Not *as* into the show as others, might be cause I've read the books and am not super engaged in the story atm but will post more late.r

Happy to modify re book spoilers.

I’m into this now, although I was sceptical after the first episode. Some of the exposition was a bit clunky, and the cynic in me just saw a contrived mystery to stretch over the season. ‘Why are we in a silo’, the latest attempt at recapturing ‘what’s in the hatch?’.

But each episode has improved on the last, and I was quite pleased we got more of a look up top when I was convinced that’d be the season 1 closer (and no doubt still will be, just in more detail).

Thoughts that I’m not looking for confirmation of if you’ve read the books: it seemed like they intentionally had Holston look away from where his wife was when we saw his POV on the surface, to leave open the possibility that this is a manipulated image (obviously the colours are skewed, but I mean that the people didn’t die). But he then crawls up to her and jostles her ‘corpse’ as he rests on her, which I don’t really like the idea of them having technology that could do that so quickly and effectively. He also didn’t take his helmet off fast enough to rule out that they were just poisoning people. So I don’t really know what’s going on. 

Defo a smug book reader, but don't worry folks, won't be spoiling stuff. Initial impressions:

Good Stuff

1. David Oyelowo & Rashida jones brought a lot to the table, and I think those two performances are easily the stand out so far - the books don't give those characters that much room, but I think those two actors and the writing really elevated the material and I think it really made the first episode quite strong on the backs of those two performances.

2. I think they've mostly got the setting right, and the production design is mostly quite good - I think that's super important in a show like this and they. From the porters, to the scens in mechanical in the last couple of episodes. I think it all looks quite stunning at times .

The Bad stuff

1. I think Rebecca Ferguson is the least interesting character in the show at the moment, and I find the performance quite odd, really. I find everyone around her 10 times more interesting than her, and I think the writing lets her down a little but as does the acting. I'm happy to see where it goes and see if there's an improvement, I'm sure there will be but at the moment I'm not really into it at all.

2. Common's scenes have been a big 0/10

Reasons I'm optimistic

1. IMO, this series has a lot of potential especially as I think the second book is much stronger than the first and if the show does get a second season, it has the potential to be quite excellent.

Watched the first three episodes, pretty good adaptation so far from what I remember of the books. This is gonna be a fun series. 

Question though, are they purposely doing weird accents (a la Belter in The Expanse)? Otherwise I can't explain what Rebecca Ferguson is doing. Some of the other characters seem to have slightly odd diction / unplaceable accents as well, but it's super inconsistent and doesn't seem to reflect location in the silo.

10 hours ago, Underfoot said:

Otherwise I can't explain what Rebecca Ferguson is doing.

Initially I thought that perhaps that is what she sounds like when she talks, but after watching an interview, it seems that it is not. You're right though and to me whatever accent she is trying to do, it doesn't sound great.

10 hours ago, Raja said:

Initially I thought that perhaps that is what she sounds like when she talks, but after watching an interview, it seems that it is not. You're right though and to me whatever accent she is trying to do, it doesn't sound great.

:dunno:

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed though!

2 hours ago, Underfoot said:

:dunno:

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed though!

Did a bit of reading and found this, she's trying to do an American accent but seems she had trouble with it

CIFI VISION:   So, as you were doing that, developing the character, what was kind of the part of her that you had the most difficulty connecting with on that level?

REBECCA FERGUSON:  I think what I found, I mean, an American [accent] is always quite difficult, because when [I] have to do an accent, I have to step out. I have to do the work as good as I can, and I have a voice coach on set, but you’re not free to ad lib and play. You’re stuck within the frames of rhythm and culture, and American culture is not the same as Swedish culture in the way Americans speak. So, that is always quite a bit of a hold back. Then, I think, for me in general, because I wanted her to be quite introvert until she kind of grows - me as Rebecca, I lean forward and I’m curious, and I take a lot of place. I had to constantly remind myself that Juliet doesn’t. Like there’ll be scenes, and I would be confronting someone, and then I have to go “Oh, yeah, no, she wouldn’t [do that]. Let’s go. Let’s do that again.

Also, they picked up on this bit which I also noticed whilst watching the scenes with Juliette

QUESTION:  …With Juliette, I noticed at first she kind of at times is slightly hunched and didn’t make eye contact at first with people…Was that something that you wanted to bring to the character, or was that in the script?

REBECCA FERGUSON:  No. It’s so silly. It’s like if you would write something, and I would go, “By the way, I hit that little note in your writing,” and you go, “Yes, thank you.” I did. I worked actually with - it sounds maybe a bit silly; I don’t think so. I worked with a body movement coach, because I often find myself quite erect, poised, and I thought I really don’t want to do that with her, because she needs something else. Especially being in a cramped environment with the machinery, you would have the sort of body traumas, sort of the hunchback, and the fact that she doesn’t look at people, I think is very much how I interpret someone who has a lot of grief and sadness and anger and has these sort of [blinders] up and just moves. She doesn’t want to touch people. She doesn’t want to be around people. She just wants a machine. So, thank you. Yes, I worked really hard on that.

I appreciate her explanation, but in the first few episodes it's almost...distracting and made me wonder what on earth she was doing.

Edited by Raja

On 5/18/2023 at 4:36 AM, Raja said:

Did a bit of reading and found this, she's trying to do an American accent but seems she had trouble with it

Also, they picked up on this bit which I also noticed whilst watching the scenes with Juliette

I appreciate her explanation, but in the first few episodes it's almost...distracting and made me wonder what on earth she was doing.

I actually feel the opposite to you. 

it is noticeable, her hunched posture and downcast looks and movements but for me I really enjoy that part of her physical character. 

think of who she is and where she has come from. Im not a snug book reader, in your words lol, so I could be way off base but I think considering she spends a lot of time in cramped spaces, hunched over fixing things and is introverted and rubbish with people I have found all of the character habit choices have made total sense to me so far.