Silo (Apple TV series based on Hugh Howey’ “Wool”)(spoiler for show)

Just now, karaddin said:

I'm 60/40 on he actually doesn't know much more than the rest of the silo and is convinced it's all necessary/actually knows a lot and there was some other reason for why he turned off the fake landscape for Jules.

Yeah I’m getting hung up on that myself. I don’t have an answer for that…

did anyone see what looked like a city in the background?! Do we think anyone is in there or it is completely abandoned. 

3 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

LOL - I’m the same as you, I can wait a week but not a year. Off to the books I go!!! 

OMG. One thing I did NOT factor in was that there could be MULTIPLE silos. I didn’t even dream of that at all. 

where is Holston and Becker?! I need to know!!! 

Holston and Becker are exactly where you saw them.  Nichols left Holston’s badge on his body.

Stuck the landing for the most part.

Spoiler

I don't recall enough about the books; putting that aside.

The finale was fantastic.

That was a whole lot of story they needed to cram and I can't remember if book-George sacrificed himself knowingly, or if Jules ever had a third guess. You'd think the final mindfuck might've done it, just, the levels of control, the reality, but George killing himself, the breadcrumbs, understanding full well how it'd make Jules react, how that could spin out? Yikes. A tommy gun drum of trust issues emptied on Jules soul. Least her and her pops briefly got each other back.

Must be a chute schedule though right, no dangerous stuff at certain times, just pillows and mattresses and towels and shit, or did Jules too give up, handing off like Holston did.   

Bernard felt off. Someone with his access to knowledge would at least be as paranoid as portrayed, I suppose, but that's at odds with his disregard for his own personal safety considering how often he chose to be alone with people he was threatening. Maybe Robbins didn't sell that though. Not sure Common did either.

On the technical side, felt like post and the final words really fucked the last, big visuals. Mistranslated the scale they'd already established in-show. Also deserved a longer sequence. Four or five visible silos, maybe. Less is more.

Overall though, impressive first season. 

Edited by JGP

Spoiler

Bernard felt off. Someone with his access to knowledge would at least be as paranoid as portrayed, I suppose, but that's at odds with his disregard for his own personal safety considering how often he chose to be alone with people he was threatening. Maybe Robbins didn't sell that though. Not sure Common did either.

Bernard has more information than is shown… and his fear wasn’t hypothetical.  It is very genuine.  That’s all I’ll say.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

12 hours ago, karaddin said:

ETA: He totally doesn't know about the door at the bottom of the silo either. She just planted an idea in his head that's going to grow curiosity in him

I thought Robbins did a good job there of splitting the difference, you could read his performance as not knowing about the door, or not knowing that she knew, or maybe neither. 

I’m kinda annoyed at myself that I didn’t figure out what was going on earlier, than it suddenly hit me when she emerged - how would a recording have ever made its way back to the silo? And it gives them a reason to clean. And far easier to fool one person temporarily than thousands perpetually.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:
  Hide contents

Bernard has more information than is shown… and his fear wasn’t hypothetical.  It is very genuine.  That’s all I’ll say.

Don't remember everything, but I've read the books, Scot. :p

2 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

I thought Robbins did a good job there of splitting the difference, you could read his performance as not knowing about the door, or not knowing that she knew, or maybe neither. 

Or even confusion at how George found it/figured it out. Agreed, it was a great performance from him.

13 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Holston and Becker are exactly where you saw them.  Nichols left Holston’s badge on his body.

Thank you - I didn’t quite get that. I need to rewatch the episode in the dark as mum and I were watching it in the sunny midday because we couldn’t wait!! But as a very dark show I think I’ve missed a few little things like this!!! 

On 6/30/2023 at 9:57 AM, karaddin said:

I'm absolutely reading the book now lol. I can do a week of cliffhangers with source material available but I can't do a year.

Second book is actually the best of the lot, imo. So I think the second season should be quite strong.

Gonna watch the last few episodes soon, but was surprised the multiple silos thing wasn't brought up earlier!

Edited by Raja

17 hours ago, karaddin said:

Do you mean in her view or the objective one? There are at least some in the objective view.

Not even sure what the objective view is.   But yes, if there is only Becker and Holston's bodies out there, should be a lot more.  I vaguely remember at one point early on someone said it was a long time since the previous cleaning.  But given all the crimes and mental breakdowns going on that's hard to reconcile.  There ought to be a wall of bodies really.

Either people got out during the previous rebellion a hundred some years ago, and buried the majority of bodies then.  Or there is some way to scoop up the bodies -- like if the roof of the silo has a mechanism to turn over, bringing the bodies back inside..   Never mind my ghoulish speculation, i suppose it isn't important or they'll never address it.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Why fake the visor image though? Just don't get that.

To get people to clean.  To get them to “show the beautiful world” waiting outside.  It didn’t work for Nichols because they use the same images over and over again.  She saw the same patterns and recognized it was fake.

17 hours ago, Raja said:

Second book is actually the best of the lot, imo. So I think the second season should be quite strong.

Gonna watch the last few episodes soon, but was surprised the multiple silos thing wasn't brought up earlier!

I was under the impression from Reddit that we're only 1/2-2/3 of the way through the first book? Which probably makes more sense why the multiple silos came up so late in the season?

14 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Not even sure what the objective view is.   But yes, if there is only Becker and Holston's bodies out there, should be a lot more.  I vaguely remember at one point early on someone said it was a long time since the previous cleaning.  But given all the crimes and mental breakdowns going on that's hard to reconcile.  There ought to be a wall of bodies really.

By 'objective' I just meant a view of the outside that wasn't from the Silo sensor or Jules' helmet feed, I haven't re-watched to verify but I saw someone say that you could see a number of bodies as the aerial shot zoomed out at the end.  But yeah, either all the previous cleaners had tried to walk a different direction or they just chose to only show a few.